Working out when sick?

Options
So, I came down with a sinus infection last night. Small fever, sore neck, glands, headache etc. Went to the doctor today to get some medication.

Do you think it's still okay to do some light activities on the wii fit? When I'm sick I tend to eat a lot of starches like toast, rice, gingerale and it really kills the calorie intake. I just really don't want to fall off track.

What do you think?

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Light activity should be fine if you're feeling up to it but don't force yourself.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Only what you feel up to. Might want to wait for your fever to break though
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would rest. one day won't hurt you. but if you feeling up to some light workout go for it. you know your body the best!
  • cjwalker1992
    Options
    Light activity would be okay but just make sure to get plenty of liquids, when you are sick your body demands even more water then usual.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm with the rest, don't force yourself if your feeling ill. When you're ill you just do what you need to do and don't worry about anything else. If you want to and feel up to exercise then it probably wont hurt to do something light.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would rest. Your body need to use its energy to fight the infection. How about eating losts of vegetable soup like minestrone, chicken & rice soup and juices? That should help keep your caloric count down while giving you a lot of really good nutrients.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    My sinus infection turned into Bronchitis. I won't be able to work out for another week or at least until my antibiotic and wheezing is gone. I was working out when I first got sick even with a low grade fever. If I were you, I'd rest today and tomorrow and then see how you feel. Hope you feel better :flowerforyou:
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd take the time to slow down and let my body heal itself. Drink lots of water, use a neti pot if you have one, and get lots of sleep. Your body is going to thank you for it! You'll have plenty of time to work out next week when you're feeling 100%
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I am sick, I judge by how I'm feeling. If I feel like I have the energy and I really want to do something (go for a bike ride, whatever) then I do it. One time I even rode in a downhill race when I was super sick! Was it the greatest idea-possibly not-but I felt fine. Listen to your body. If you are exhausted, then rest. If you are dizzy-rest. A sick or healing body burns a lot of calories. That is why for instance people who don't eat properly usually take longer to heal after surgeries or injuries, they don't have enough fuel and don't have the right types of nutrients for healing and rebuilding.