This might seem a bit obsessive but..

Options
I am really bad about guessing the portion sizes and really really bad when I am in a hurry. Today I went to Gordon's and got some of those 2 oz plastic cup containers with the lids. I measured out 1 oz of my cashew butter, dressing, croutons for my salad, nuts, and french fried onions (love those things, can't give them up:love: ). That way when I want to eat nut butter and celery, I can just grab one and go. I can also put them in my purse for a snack while I am out. The containers were $3.29 for 250 and the lids were $3.29 for 100. I figure I can wrinse out some of them and reuse (the nut ones and stuff).

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am really bad about guessing the portion sizes and really really bad when I am in a hurry. Today I went to Gordon's and got some of those 2 oz plastic cup containers with the lids. I measured out 1 oz of my cashew butter, dressing, croutons for my salad, nuts, and french fried onions (love those things, can't give them up:love: ). That way when I want to eat nut butter and celery, I can just grab one and go. I can also put them in my purse for a snack while I am out. The containers were $3.29 for 250 and the lids were $3.29 for 100. I figure I can wrinse out some of them and reuse (the nut ones and stuff).
  • happyhubbard
    Options

I think that's great! You are showing that you are dedicated to being healthy and holding yourself accountable. Good job!:wink:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I bet you're going to get a few "now why didn't I think of that" comments, hehe. :happy:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! Now you know what 1 oz of something looks like in them, so you won't have to measure every single time.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way so I completely understand your obsessiveness!! I think that is the best way ever! My best friend always laughed at me when I came into work with baggies marked with how much and how many calories on them. Then she saw baggies that were to fit the 100 calories snacks and since her daughter was put on a diet she understands too how simple it is to follow!! You are dedicated and not obsessive! Keep it up!!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I do this but with vegies (mixed carrots, cherry tomatoes, and celery). I also weigh everything with a digital scale. I too have problems "guestimating" serving sizes and I'd rather be accurate. Good job :) Keep it up!!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that idea!!! Back in the 90's when I was obsessed with "fat grams" I used to carry my own dressing around like that for salads, Subway sandwiches, etc.

Love it for portioning - thanks for sharing.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    GREAT idea!
  • CandaceW
    CandaceW Posts: 73
    Options
    i'm glad that i am not the only one who serving sizes everything :bigsmile: i need to buy stock in ziploc bags though :happy: thank goodness i can buy them cheaper in bulk at sams :)
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That is such an awesome idea! I'm going to have to use that one! I am HORRIBLE at time, distance, and measurement so when it comes to portioning my food, I am always off. I use a scale and measuring cups all the time. Ziplock has those 1/2 cup containers that I use all the time too. They sell them in 6 or 8 packs, I think.

I just want to go off on a tangent real quick here. This is my first post after a week of joining and reading everyone else's posts. I am so in awe with the support, dedication, and motivation everyone gives on this site. It's so awesome! I have recommended this site to at least 8 people this week (since starting) and am proud to be a part of it. Keep up the great work everyone, you are all so inspirational!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    That is such an awesome idea! I'm going to have to use that one! I am HORRIBLE at time, distance, and measurement so when it comes to portioning my food, I am always off. I use a scale and measuring cups all the time. Ziplock has those 1/2 cup containers that I use all the time too. They sell them in 6 or 8 packs, I think.

I just want to go off on a tangent real quick here. This is my first post after a week of joining and reading everyone else's posts. I am so in awe with the support, dedication, and motivation everyone gives on this site. It's so awesome! I have recommended this site to at least 8 people this week (since starting) and am proud to be a part of it. Keep up the great work everyone, you are all so inspirational!

Let me be one of the first to say a big welcome to you, and also to say thanks for your nice words about MFP. :flowerforyou:
    Sometimes there's alot of grumbling about this and that going on. So it's REALLY nice to hear such phrase! :happy: I'm sure Mike and all of the other MFPers will also appreciate your kind words! :smile: