Finding it hard to eat 1200

Options
Before starting with Mfp I have no idea how many calories I ate but I ate unhealthy foods and would go long periods of time without eating. Now I find it hard to eat my full 1200 calories a day (never mind eating exercise calories) I'm eating much healthier low calorie foods and feel like I'm constantly eating. I don't want to eat under 1200 and risk starvation mode and gaining weight and I don't want to risk eating higher calorie foods and fall back into my old habits. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are healthy and a quick way to add some calories if you can concerned about getting to 1200.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Then eat high calorie foods.
    Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado, beef higher in fat, ice cream. Woo!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    steak, eggs, milk
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Can it be that your enthusiasm for your new health routine has affected you emotionally? Realistically, 1200 calories is not a lot, and you should be enjoying every one of them, IMHO.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Presumably you are here to lose weight. Also presumably, you didn't get fat by eating too little. Now you're having trouble eating enough? Wow.
    Here's what you do:

Put Food in mouth.
    Chew.
    Swallow.
    Repeat.

Problem solved.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you're eating and we can probably help better, but all of the suggestions above are good.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started by buying a whey based protein powder. AT 100 cal a scoop it brings up those calories right quick. Add a scoop to milk, smoothies, oatmeal, cottage cheese, or yogurt.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Keep some hershey nuggets around. They're 50 calories each, and individually wrapped so they're not as tempting as a full chocolate bar. Have a couple throughout the day if your calories are too low. ^_^
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
  • marielladear
    Options
    I AM EXACTLY the same, I used to just eat what i thought was healthy and now, i find I barely hit 800 calories, it's frustrating! I try to eat more fruit and veg and meat, but it's no use! PLUS I don't like nuts and seed. I love avocado so I try to eat as much of that as I can. I would recommend just finding foods like avocados and going for it. I wish I could say more, but I really don't know, I'm in the same position! :( sorry if this was unhelpful x
  • riotnote
    Options
    Wow.
  • riotnote
    Options
    Presumably you are here to lose weight. Also presumably, you didn't get fat by eating too little. Now you're having trouble eating enough? Wow.
    Here's what you do:

Put Food in mouth.
    Chew.
    Swallow.
    Repeat.

Problem solved.

Wow.

Sorry! Double post ^^
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do:

Put Food in mouth.
    Chew.
    Swallow.
    Repeat.

Problem solved.

Kind of rude. I can understand where the OP is coming from. I got fat by eating once or twice a day and it was all bad stuff. When I started eating smaller, healthier meals during the day it was harder to get to 1200 calories because my body wasn't used to eating like that and I was eating better things that made me feel full. Eventually the calories went up as my body got used to the new system.

To the OP: All the suggestions above are very good. There are a lot of things you can add to up your calories. Even just cooking with Olive oil can raise your count. Hang in there because trust me, you will end up eating at least 1200 as time goes on. =)
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Milk peanut butter and nutella love em for a 300 cal post workout snack!
  • dazeydawl
    Options
    Diary is now open. I eat alot of veggies and fruit and lean meats especially fish. I am trying to do low carb (as in no pasta rice potatoes or bread except in the morning or my cheat day is Sunday) past week I ate popcorn just for some extra calories. I seriously feel like I'm non stop eating unlike before when I would go an entire 8 hour work day without food
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good - lots of variety, and fresh fruits and veggies.

You're not far off the 1200 goal, so just add a little more to your current diet - a bit more cheese, another egg, a cracker with peanut butter - any of these would take you there.

Good work on making the change to a healthy approach!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I got fat eating tons of low nutrient food ( junk food) and I was alway hungry. So I ate more! Now I will occasionally have a hard time getting to 1200 because the foods I am eating are healthy and nutrient rich therefore they satisfy my hunger more so I am not likely to food seek or feel hunger that drives me to eat. I do eat peanut butter and nuts when I feel like I need to boost my intake.
  • PogoPalOj
    Options
    When I first started I had the same problem. I had a bad habit of eating low calories in the morning and eating heavy calories at night. I have begun to higher calories early in the day and less at night. Try eating lot of fruits and veggies in the evening and save the heavy stuff for the mornings.
    I hope this helps.
    Jenn
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    Diary is now open. I eat alot of veggies and fruit and lean meats especially fish. I am trying to do low carb (as in no pasta rice potatoes or bread except in the morning or my cheat day is Sunday) past week I ate popcorn just for some extra calories. I seriously feel like I'm non stop eating unlike before when I would go an entire 8 hour work day without food
    Lower carb has that effect on people, so it's important that you are conscience of how much your eating. More calorie dense foods work perfectly and because fat has always been seen as a bad thing many people that reduce carbs also don't get enough fat, so you might want to look at some of the lower fat foods you might be eating and make some changes. For example, whole eggs instead of whites, full fat yogurt and cheese, eating something other than skinless boneless chicken breast, leave the skin on, fattier cuts of meat, using butter instead of spray etc. Nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil for cooking are all examples of how you can add calories without adding more carbs.
  • dazeydawl
    Options
    Lower carb has that effect on people, so it's important that you are conscience of how much your eating. More calorie dense foods work perfectly and because fat has always been seen as a bad thing many people that reduce carbs also don't get enough fat, so you might want to look at some of the lower fat foods you might be eating and make some changes. For example, whole eggs instead of whites, full fat yogurt and cheese, eating something other than skinless boneless chicken breast, leave the skin on, fattier cuts of meat, using butter instead of spray etc. Nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil for cooking are all examples of how you can add calories without adding more carbs.

Lol thanks but I already do all of that.. None of my dairy ( yogurt cottage cheese milk) is low fat and I do eat whole eggs and I cook with olive oil. Just bought almonds today so hopefully that will help. Perhaps I'm eating too much protien as I know that keeps you fuller longer maybe cutting back will make me feel more hungry and eating more food won't feel forced