Elliptical burns more than tredmil? how to log a p90x workou

Options
So last week I went to the gym and got on the tredmil for 30 minutes and burned 150is-170ish calories. Today, went to the gym and got on the elliptical for 30 minutes, and burned 257 calories.

So my question is; has anyone else noticed this? And why is it that your burn more calories on one machine than the next?

Also, started mixing in some p90x workouts with my daily routine and don't know how to log it. I do NOT have a hr monitor. What should I do?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is more intense than the treadmill unless you are running on the treadmill, so you burn more calories.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is why I love the elliptical!

It's low-no resistance so you can go faster and work harder than on the treadmill, in my experience. I've been doing elliptical to burn more up until recently, now I'm trying to split between the two so I can gear up to run a 5k at some point.

I have no idea how to log P90x - I can't even get a basic treadmill to come up as a workout option, so I just log it as walking. and make sure my calories burned according to the machine match the calories that MFP automatically calculates.

(Also, anyone can feel free to add me!)
  • itsabbylove
    Options
    Regarding P90x, I usually just put the minutes in Cardio or in some type of strength training depending on how much of one or the other I think I am doing. In a p90x workout you can expect to burn around 500 calories but on this site it gives you around 300! I am surprised it isn't on here since it is such a popular tool!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, I like the elliptical - I don't run, bad knees & ankles, but it burns way more than walking on the treadmill and feels much better on my knees and ankles - win-win! Stairclimber burns comparable to elliptical it seems..... and I love that too (well I hate to do it but I love it after it's over!) :)
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is definitely more intense than just walking--even if you're power walking. As far as the machines go, it's the best burn you'll get unless you run :)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The amount of Calories you burn depends on the intensity of your workout not just the time, for example you can do hill sprints for a total of 15min and burn double the calories you would just walking on a treadmill for 30min.

fun fact: Urg-ing or rowing on a stationary machine is one of the most efficient cal/time exercise machines
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I usually take my bpm during each exercise and then use this formula C=(0.4472 X HR - 0.05741 X W +0.074 X A - 20.4022) X T / 4.184

Example: 28 year old weighing 146lbs average heartrate during exercise session that lasted 36min was 138bpm
    She Burnt: C= (0.4472 X 138 - 0.05741 X 146 + 0.074 X 28 - 20.4022) X 36 / 4.184 =301 calories.

NB: Heartrate = 10sec X 6

As much as it is a pain to add it each time I find it gives a more accurate reading than the database. Hope this helps :)
  • Shanbl
    Shanbl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I most definitely find the elliptical burns more calories in the same amount of time. BUT, you can raise the calorie burn on the treadmill if you run or walk at an incline.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Love the elliptical, not a big fan of the treadmill. I don't like running much anyways but doing it on the treadmill gives me shin splints so I tend to avoid it. The elliptical is lower impact, more calories burned (than walking on treadmill) and better results (personal opinion- but I actually toned my behind which is awesome!)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I prefer elliptical because I can personally workout on the elliptical forever it seems, but in the same amount of time I will as much or more on the treadmill. Like someone said above-it all depends on the level of intensity and the amount of time you do it.