Miserable, for the ladies.

Options
Gonna be up front here. I get cramps so bad I puke and/or pass out. Today was the puke end of the deal. Any advice on how you ladies deal with this excessive pain. I am in less pain now (took 2 muscle relaxants and have a hot pad) ultimately vomiting is the best release to end the pain but it is horrible getting there. Ugh... Exercise doesn't make a difference, it was the same when I was a couch potato as it is now as a marathon runner.

Replies

• k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills work if you're comfortable taking them.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I love my hot pad, especially in the winter. The heat really seems to calm everything down and relax it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I second this! I was a puker too(never passed out thank goodness) but I had cramps that started in the front, wrapped around to my back and down through my tailbone.. and they ****ing hurt!

Birth control though took care of all of this... and now I barely feel anything. Still crabby as ever, but pain wise I'm good :)
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Why are you in so much pain??
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. You could have something like Endometriosis and not even realize it. I endured it for decades because i thought i was just 'unlucky' to have the kind of really bad cramping that most women don't get. But i let it go on so long that I had to eventually have major surgery.......and it is no fun.

It seems like you are doing what you can to control the pain/puking as much as humanly possible, but I would recommend going to your Gyno and having a sit-down with him/her - - instead of spending so much energy trying to just live with the pain.

Good luck, hun.....i feel for ya.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! There's a new group on MFP you might be interested in. There's a conversation going on right now about how much cramps suck! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/779-periods-period

I hope you feel better soon. My cramps were always alleviated by a hot pad and the fetal position.
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    i agree with jennyrebekka. i would go see my gp if that was happening to me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Have you seen dr. about your symptoms?
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never had it that bad that I throw up. But cramps, as with any pain, are easier to prevent than to treat. Take pain medication (NSAIDs like Advil/Motrin and Naprosyn/Aleve are best for cramps) *before* the pain gets bad, or even before the pain starts, if you have signals from your body on what is coming. You can pair these medications with your typical muscle relaxants, like Valium, Flexeril, and Skelaxin.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When I started to see a Homeopathic doctor he told me to stop drinking caffeine and milk. After a few months of switching to Almond milk and laying off the sodas and coffee. My cramps went away along with breast tenderness. I notice when I'm drinking caffeine again the cramps return.
  • mpetrovic
    mpetrovic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My pain was so bad that I can't stand or move. I had to skip school because I would either puke or get a massive migraine. The last straw for me was when I got 3 FULL periods in 35 days. So horrible.
    My mom freaked out and took me to the gyno.
    I have been on BC pills since January and it really helped with the pain. My periods are much lighter, but still the same length. No more puke, migraines, and horrible pain.
    BUT
    BC pills have been rumored to make you gain weight (I gained about 10 pounds...but I wasn't being healthy and I have been losing, so it isn't the case with me) and make your boobs larger. The weight gain is mainly rumor. As long as you stay on track, you'll be fine.

:)
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter had the same problem. Turned out she had endometriosis (sp). Have you checked with an OB-GYN?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    See your doc for sure. I start taking Aleve a few days before I expect my period, then the cramps don't start to begin with.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a doctor until you can find one who is willing to look for the problem and not just give you pain medication. Until you find one try to hang in there. I get sick but not to the point where I vomit.
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem - GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    In addition to endometriosis ---- you should get checked for PCOS. It is extremely common. You might want to research symptoms of both online so you go in their armed with some facts.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I went to the gyno on two separate occasions, had a really bad experience with the first one (traumatizing for little innocent, at the time, me) and did not go back for about 5 years. I heard about a much better gyno and went to her, she was awesome, but because of our faulty health system in our city, she got fed up and moved to another city. I am left with the option of going back to the scary, evil, traumatizing doctor or dealing with it on my own. I have not worked up the courage to go back (plus, I do not have medical coverage right now and I know her first suggestion will be investigatory laparoscopy, which I cannot afford). I did the BC pill almost straight through for about 2 years but that also got expensive and I worried about long term effects (I do, eventually want to have kids). I am just whining I guess about the pain, because I know the options out there. Thanks for the responses.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I second this! I was a puker too(never passed out thank goodness) but I had cramps that started in the front, wrapped around to my back and down through my tailbone.. and they ****ing hurt!

Birth control though took care of all of this... and now I barely feel anything. Still crabby as ever, but pain wise I'm good :)

I third this suggestion. My doc put me on with no withdrawal week; AF still comes but much much lighter (used to get anemic).
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

got to agree with the birth control pills. I been on them for about 6 years and they have done wonders for me. Also try laying in hot bath.
  • Blairsey
    Blairsey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do birth control pills because they make my migraines worse, but the nuva ring helped a lot with my cramps. Now i have an IUD and not only is my period gone (a blessing) but so are my awful cramps and migraines.