Bread?

Options
Hi all I was wondering if any one could tell me what's
the lowest cal bread out there right now that taste ok... any suggestions. Thanks Sil:happy:

Replies

• urbanchic
    urbanchic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    the lowest cal bread out there right now that taste ok... any suggestions. Thanks Sil:happy:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    the only bread i do buy is light wheat natural own bread or muti nine grain thats when I do eat bread. but I try to stay away from bread, but those are the one i eat

181273.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own Light breads. I like the Honey Wheat.

Just 40 cals per slice.
  • Tamrahan
    Tamrahan Posts: 29
    Options
    I go with Ezekial low sodium whole wheat bread. It's not the lowest at 80 calories per slice but it is healthier.

I was using earthgrains until I notices there were HFCS in it. :grumble: but that had 120 cal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    bread is not our friend

I love bread and do eat it but to lose weight you need to look for alternatives

I eat ezekial whole grain bread and tortillas.......instead of focusing on the number of calories look at the quality of the calories

low cal bread that has sugar and processed "junk" is actually worse for your plan than higher calorie but lower sugar lower crap alternatives

eating "low cal" foods is not always the same as losing weight for the long term

start moving towards cleaner foods that may be higher in calories but do not spike your blood sugar levels which forces your body to produce insulin that then promotes fat storage
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I get the Market Basket light oatmeal bread. It's good and only has 35 calories a slice.
    I don't eat bread often, but a sandwich every now and then is nice! :smile:
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to avoid bread. I think of it as extra calories.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i buy koepplinger's lite 100% whole wheat bread. 80 cals for 2 slices :bigsmile:
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good question. Here's my thoughts....

Average bread that you buy, - read the nutrition information - has no real nutritional value. And what I mean by that is , little to no protein, fiber and other essentionals. So if you really want to eat regular bread you may as well be eating some other empty junk food.

What I recommend is to look for bread that is whole grain, Contains at least 5g protein, and substantial fiber. Then if you want a sandwich, just have a half a sandwich ( these types of bread are usually larger slices, so a half sandwich is good sized ). Yes one piece has more calories, but it's just not about the calories. It's about feeding your body the things that it need to function effieciently for you. Plus those higher protein and fiber containing foods keep you full longer.

just my 2 cents.

141041.png
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We either do Nature's Own 40 Calories per Slice

or

Sara Lee Delightful 45 Calories per slice.

I prefer the Sara Lee because it seems like the slices are larger and thicker. I also don't care for the 'inside' bag of the Nature's Own brand.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We also get the Sarah Lee brand. Low in calories but still tastes good.
  • Purple420
    Purple420 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hollywood Bread whole wheat, 40 cal .25 fat and 8 carbs per slice
  • urbanchic
    urbanchic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one..:smile: when shopping for bread I will keep all that in mind.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Pepperidge farm has a light bread that is 45 calories a slice. They also have their regular bread that is sliced thin so that it's only 40 calories a slice. That's what I use for peanut butter sandwiches.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Good question. Here's my thoughts....

Average bread that you buy, - read the nutrition information - has no real nutritional value. And what I mean by that is , little to no protein, fiber and other essentionals. So if you really want to eat regular bread you may as well be eating some other empty junk food.

What I recommend is to look for bread that is whole grain, Contains at least 5g protein, and substantial fiber. Then if you want a sandwich, just have a half a sandwich ( these types of bread are usually larger slices, so a half sandwich is good sized ). Yes one piece has more calories, but it's just not about the calories. It's about feeding your body the things that it need to function effieciently for you. Plus those higher protein and fiber containing foods keep you full longer.

just my 2 cents.

141041.png

I'm making this 4 cents! Whole grains are good for you. If you read the labels you can find something that is healthy. Make your calories work for you not just look for the lowest calorie count.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Arnold's sandwhich thins are pretty good as well as thomas's multigrain lite muffins.

[img][/img]
  • lmarcott
    lmarcott Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread. It's great, light not heavy, 35 calories per slice with 0 fat, 8 carbs, 3 g of fiber, 1 sugar and 2 g protein. I focus mainly on the calories and fiber. This is the best I've found.
  • kenpachi
    kenpachi Posts: 7
    Options
    Wonder Light Wheat Bread 40 Calories per slice or nickels liter 35 whole grain as per the name 35 calories per slice.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wonder Light Wheat Bread 40 Calories per slice or nickels liter 35 whole grain as per the name 35 calories per slice.

the low calorie breads are typically made up of the following-

Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Water, Wheat Gluten, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cracked Wheat, Cottonseed Fiber, Soy Fiber, Contains 2% or Less of Oat Fiber, Salt, Molasses, Dough Conditioners (May Contain: Ethoxylated Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide and/or Datem), Soy Flour, Yeast Nutrients (May Contain: Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Phosphate and/or Monocalcium Phosphate), Wheat Starch, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Whey, Calcium Sulfate, Enzymes, Vinegar, Caramel Color, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Soy Lecithin

DO YOU really want to put all that in your body just to save a few calories??

HERE are the ingredients in Ezekial whole grain bread-

Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, *Organic Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, *Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, *Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options

the low calorie breads are typically made up of the following-

Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Water, Wheat Gluten, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cracked Wheat, Cottonseed Fiber, Soy Fiber, Contains 2% or Less of Oat Fiber, Salt, Molasses, Dough Conditioners (May Contain: Ethoxylated Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide and/or Datem), Soy Flour, Yeast Nutrients (May Contain: Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Phosphate and/or Monocalcium Phosphate), Wheat Starch, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Whey, Calcium Sulfate, Enzymes, Vinegar, Caramel Color, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Soy Lecithin

DO YOU really want to put all that in your body just to save a few calories??

HERE are the ingredients in Ezekial whole grain bread-

Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, *Organic Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, *Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, *Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

I'm having such a hard time finding this 'wonder' bread. It's got to be here in Canada some were??!! :laugh: I even called a health food store and they don't have it? I need to look in the yellow pages for more health food stores and call them. How many calories in Ezekial bread?