Numbers on the scale

Options
I see a lot of people post that numbers on a scale don't matter, but I feel like they really do. How I look is important as are measurements, but when you way 220 pounds, getting that number down means something. I don't fuss about water weight or anything like that but I like to see a difference on the scale when I weigh myself. Maybe when I am in the mid 100's I will feel differently but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Replies

• mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i am in the mid 100's and i feel the same as you!
  • FindingMyself239
    Options
    I feel the same way...the number on the scale does matter to me..the more it goes down the happier i am...WERE ALL DIFFERENT BUT I CAN SOOOOOO RELATE 2 YOU:)
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh, those numbers influence me. I can get just as frustrated by the number on the scale as I can get excited and motivated. Yeah, the numbers on the scale influence me.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I was 220lbs earlier this year, and now at 176lbs and I feel the same way as you.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I totally like to see the numbers drop especially when I started. If I remember correctly, I dropped from 270 to 264 my first week (pre MFP) and I was so excited it wasn't funny. Now that I'm reasonably close to where I want to be I don't care as much. I want to drop one more pants size and that's going to be where I start trying to maintain.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The numbers matter to me ... otherwise I wouldn't get on the scales and record what it reads.
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They matter to me as well. My husband keeps telling me "you are loosing inches - why does that number matter so much??" Because - damn it - it does. That number getting smaller means that something is really happening.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the scale and unfortunately weigh morning and night! my hubby started me on that bad habit! but you should try on clothes also because just from my own experience, I lose a lot of inches quicker than weight. So, I can lose ten lbs but maybe lose two whole sizes when someone else might need to lose twenty to lose two sizes. just saying
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Numbers matter to me! And my DR. is pleased with numbers too. They do matter.
  • KimMischke
    Options
    I love seeing my weight going down. It makes me happier and it makes me want to keep going which I think is so so important.
  • jerseyprincess081
    Options
    oh yes, number matter, I am trying to get out of the overweight catagory of the BMI Chart.
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    I agree in a way. But some of the numbers I am not going to stress over. For example, if I never see my goal weight, but I feel comfortable finally in my clothes (no bulges or muffin top!) I think I can be happy with that. I see people post who weigh more than me but are in a smaller size and it was kind of getting me down. Instead of thinking I want to weigh x and be a size x, I am trying to focus on the way my muscles tone up and how I feel that way.
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    The numbers matter to me ... otherwise I wouldn't get on the scales and record what it reads.
    Exactly.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Can relate. It matters to me. But so does how my clothes are fitting and whether or not I'm getting smaller. It all matters and worth the hard work.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I guess when people say that they really mean when it's up and down within a few pounds...In that case, measurement becomes more convincing.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If I had 1-5kg's to lose then maybe scales doesn't really matter but when your heavy,

it's not enough for someone to say to me "don't worry, muscle weighs heavier than fat" that might be right but at almost 200lbs, I can't be all muscle,

for me it counts, I need to see the scale go down to know that I'm getting to be healthy.
  • stefkhan
    stefkhan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with both sides. 150 lbs looks different on each person, due to body build, height, shape, etc. As far as the BMI scale, I think (for lack of a better word) it's garbage. I'm 5'2" and it says I should weigh 110 lbs, which is insane, I would be skin and bones if I weighed that.

I think that as long as you look in the mirror and feel good about yourself, and the scale is reasonable to you, then it's okay to not worry about the numbers.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You make an excellent point. Not everyone should be weighing themselves all the time, but I have seen so many people "go to pot" and be surpised that they had gained 30 pounds over a year or so when they finally wear something old and unforgiving.
  • saraannefrazer
    saraannefrazer Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i agree its good to see on the scales that youve lost alot of wait. It depends on your body shape though. i have quite a muscley build naturally so my measurments when i loose are alot more substantial than my actual weight.

I lost only 2 kilos last year and went down a dress size some people would take 5 or ten to go down one.

Alos theres fluid retention that can occure which makes you heaver than you really are
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    i agree its good to see on the scales that youve lost alot of wait. It depends on your body shape though. i have quite a muscley build naturally so my measurments when i loose are alot more substantial than my actual weight.

I lost only 2 kilos last year and went down a dress size some people would take 5 or ten to go down one.

Alos theres fluid retention that can occure which makes you heaver than you really are
    Totally depends on each individual. I agree. I lost 10 pounds but my pant size stayed the same...hmmmm