Whey protein?

Options
I'm looking to buy some whey protein to put in smoothies 'n things since I don't always have time to make myself a good breakfast in the morning. What brands do you guys use? Which ones are disgusting and which ones are good? I need suggestions!

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Throw "whey" into the search and tons of info appears.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Be careful. My Dr and I suspect that a recent bout with kidney stones was due to whey protein. Some people's bodies can't deal with the extra protein.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just got started with Myofusion Why Protein Powder.. Specifically the Chocolate Peanut Butter one. It's ok taste wise.. but nothing spectacular. It was about 25 dollars for a 2 lb tub at my gym.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I personally use Twinlab 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate Surge flavour. I agree with Jeff92se, use the search function. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you allow artificial sweeteners in your diet?
    Do you have room for sugar?
    What is your budget?

Those 3 questions should at least narrow the market down a little for you.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Be careful. My Dr and I suspect that a recent bout with kidney stones was due to whey protein. Some people's bodies can't deal with the extra protein.

Don't worry about too much protein; it's too much calcium that causes kidney stones as well as animal proteins (don't worry about whey protein). I use Twinlabs currently. It doesn't taste awful, but I like Whey to Go better :D
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use MRM whey in vanilla (buy it on Amazon). I use one scoop of that, one scoop of Barlean's Greens Powder, and 1/2 c to 1 c of frozen berries with 1 c of cold water. Voila! I blend in my personal blender and then grab the cup and go!
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition (natural whey protein) is good in my opinion and twin labs' is alright.
    I get good deals on amazon.com! 5lb tub of ON natural whey vanilla for 40ish bucks
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a favorite. There are lots of things to consider when buying whey protein. But to cut to the chase, I use BioChem Whey Isolate by Country Life. I've used it for a long time and like it very much.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this, i'm interested too :) I've been doing the special k protein shakes, but a tub to mix would be much more cost effective..
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this, i'm interested too :) I've been doing the special k protein shakes, but a tub to mix would be much more cost effective..

Oh and alot of my friends use body fortress, not sure on the taste
  • kantone999
    Options
    I use Designer Protein Whey, Natural flavor because it's really low sodium. I hide the taste in milk or stir it into my cereal. If you like cinnamon (which boosts sugar metabolism especially coupled with chromium) that does a pretty good job making it palatable.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just had a protein shake at a friend's house, and it was the best shake I have ever tasted!!! It was GNC's brand, and it was CInnabon flavor. She mixed it with 4oz almond milk and half of a banana with crushed ice. OMG, it was sooooo good!! 32 g of protein and only 2g of sugar.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I use the Jillian triple chocolate or my favorite is Nectar Sweets- the cookies or double cookie or whatever it is called.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    I don't want to give out a specific brand but it's best to get unflavoured whey protein isolate with no crap like artificial sweeteners added in. That's like the purest form of protein you can get with 25 grams of protein per serving and pretty much zero everything else.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    and pretty much zero everything else.

including flavor.

=)
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Oh and alot of my friends use body fortress, not sure on the taste
    Costs about 19 dollars for 2 pound,,, buy at walmart,, buy vanilla, forget the other flavor,, with vanilla, you can add fruit, veggie, and whatever and its YUMMY.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Try to get the protein from food..:smile:
  • Demwitted
    Options
    I used french vanilla EAS low-carb when I was doing a lot of weight training. I don't know if I'd recommend it as a meal replacement, but it tasted good. It was the only one I tried that didn't make me gag. I used the pre-mixed kind. You can buy it at grocery stores and pharmacies near the diabetic meal shake stuff and weight-loss shake stuff. You can also buy flats of it at Sam's. Most places it will run about $2/serving. Sam's is probably cheaper, but I never bought it there.