Going on a Cruise need help

Options
I'll be going on a 7 day cruise with Carnival the week after thanksgiving. This is my first time going on one since I started my journey. I know that getting internet on the ship is hard no go so I won't be able to log in etc. I know I'll be working out cause they have a gym but still I want to know some good tips to stay on course while on the ship without going completely crazy. Thank so much.

Replies

• jokie57
    Options
    there are alot of veggies and low fat food on the ship---just go look aroiund---salad bar usually available----just have to watch out for all the desserts. good luck
  • katherinehurleynelson
    Options
    keep a reall food journal! you can bring a small notebook with you and just write everything down.
  • stoofers
    Options
    I worked out every morning when I got up without fail. And I ate all my meals in the dining room. It's a set menu but with lots of choices so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about the buffets (which are endless). Breakfast was the only meal I ate at the buffet because they had lots of good healthy choices. I didn't gain any weight at all and I ate 3 meals a day. Watch out for the free ice cream! And make sure you have pills or those things that go behind your ears, I was sea sick without them. Have fun!
  • saintcal
    Options
    Walk, walk, and walk some more. Since I started walking early morning laps of the decks every day, I haven't gained weight on our last 3 cruises. Sometimes they offer a free t-shirt or other incentive if you walk 25 miles or more. You can check with the concierge to see if they have a similar program. Of course, the fitness room bikes, spinning classes, etc., are also helpful.

They do have weigh-in scales you can also check daily if you're so inclined -- I usually am.

And maybe avoid the midnight (chocolate?) buffets if they have them.

Above all, do enjoy the cruise!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i always take the stairs!! it helps burn some extra calories because it inevitable you will eat different/more then you would at home. it's your vacation don't deprive yourself or you will want to throw it all out the window. everything in moderation!
  • ras21
    ras21 Posts: 9
    Options
    Love cruises! You will be able to walk/run around the outer deck and get lots of stair exercise - no elevators!!! Stay true to your calorie counting and you will do great. Don't forget to throw in 100 abdominal crunches daily. : ) Have a great time.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    im jealous! but make sure you write everything down!. if you have been doing this a while you know what cal counts are or if not get a little counter bk and write it all down. thats what I do if im going on vacation and trying to lose.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Portion control!
  • jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. We are cruising the Magic in Jan. From what i read on other cruise sites is that there are healthy options available in the MDR, Steer clear of the buffets, unless you have great willpower.
  • saintcal
    Options
    Walk, walk, and walk some more. Since I started walking early morning laps of the decks every day, I haven't gained weight on our last 3 cruises. Sometimes they offer a free t-shirt or other incentive if you walk 25 miles or more. You can check with the concierge to see if they have a similar program. Of course, the fitness room bikes, spinning classes, etc., are also helpful.

They do have weigh-in scales you can also check daily if you're so inclined -- I usually am.

And maybe avoid the midnight (chocolate?) buffets if they have them. :smile:

Above all, do enjoy the cruise!
  • kantone999
    Options
    Lots of salad an veggies, grilled meats. Seafood is low-cal depending on how prepared and almost always a better choice than chicken, fruit for dessert. Do you have a smartphone? And are you going to get international cell service while you're gone? If so, download the MFP app. I use the BlackBerry version wherever I go. Stripped down features but you can keep your food diary up-to-date. Have fun and good luck!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I going on a cruise starting Sunday on th Allure so this is my 8th cruise and here is what you can do. First of all if you really want to log on when you get to ports you can find internet cafe's for free and you can also buy a package. OK now for the food.

Stay away from the big breakfast, order coffee and fruit for your room in the morning. After that go up top and run or walk the track. Get three miles in then go into the gym and do an elliptical and look for spinning classes. After that have a good lunch stay away from the crap. Try to stay away from the booze till after noon. OK, so dinner you are going to go over it, don't sweat it, if you hang in there and only blow one meal a day your doing good. Are you going to loose, no but you may gain a little but in the end you will get back on track.

So remember your on a vacation so enjoy it.....eat at least two healthy meals and have fun!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've been on quite a few. I usually gain a few pounds but I think it's mostly the sodium because I lose the weight within a week. I work out in the gym or run on the track daily and I take the stairs everywhere. The last cruise I did you had to sign up for the spin classes. If you want to spin, make sure you go the first day to the gym to sign up. I went the next morning and all the classes were full. A guy I met signed up for the personal training and he didn't think it was worth the price.

They have healthy choices listed on the menu in the dining room. I usually choose the seafood and then splurge on a dessert with dinner. Fill up on the fruits and veggies. To be honest, I don't think the food is that great on cruises so it's not a huge issue for me. I really do think it's the extra sodium that gets me so drink plenty of water.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise for 13 days, then I spent 5 days in Rome, and I came home to a 14 lb weight loss. I walked, walked some more, and then walked some more. On an average of 5-6 hrs. per day. It was well worth it. If you do desserts I would try something sugar free, and try to have plenty of protein.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter