Curb Cravings During Special Time of Month

Options
This post is for all the ladies out there...

Any suggestions on how to curb cravings during that special time of the month? I want to eat everything in sight, regardless of whether or not I am hungry or even like it!

Replies

• avaloneternal
    Options
    Ooh... I wanna know too. I am bottomless, until it starts, and then I am sick as a dog.
  • mrskellyray
    Options
    eat something good and filling! Such as a protein shake. Or munch on something light like steamed cauliflower! :)

This is also a good time to post "the top ten reasons I want to lose weight" all over your house :)

12339664.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump...cause I need a formula BAD!!
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness at that time of the month and usually I eat milk chocolate by the bucket load. I still have the chockie but have changed to dark - just a few squares seems to do the trick as it is too rich to eat too much. I also make sure I leave a few calories for small treats and then make sure i REALLY enjoy them and only if I need to.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I usually crave spicy food so I will make a lower cal taco salad or baked chicken with carribean jerk marinade. Every blue moon I will crave chocolate and then I try to eat a chocolate pudding to curve that craving.
  • DivaRenae
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness at that time of the month and usually I eat milk chocolate by the bucket load. I still have the chockie but have changed to dark - just a few squares seems to do the trick as it is too rich to eat too much. I also make sure I leave a few calories for small treats and then make sure i REALLY enjoy them and only if I need to.

Mine too!!!!!!!! I hv 2 hv CHOCOLATE or I go CRAZY!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I don't tend to get cravings during that time, but when I do, cherry sugar-free jello satisfies me.

You could also try a square or two of 72% cocoa or higher chocolate, since it's low in everything.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and eat what pleases me at that time. I am usually suffering from cramps, upset tummy and keep getting giddy. Obviously I cannot miss work every month. Food is next best thing to rest...so I hog away!
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Whenever I crave chocolate I drink some low-fat hot chocolate. Yum!
  • lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be honest with you – I crave chocolate and I EAT chocolate – or someone will be murdered in my house!

I get the BF to go and buy a small amount of really good quality chocolate because if I go to the shops I’ll devour the entire isle!
  • Bead_Maker
    Bead_Maker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it's your body trying to replace the fluid/iron of blood loss along with the fake hormone spike of wanting to "eat for two" if you're on the pill. I aim for high iron and high liquid intake around that time of the month, and take Pamprin/Midol if I need to avoid bloating.

Grits, though semi-high calorie can be very filling in small portions and they are a decent source of iron. High water content fruit that's low calories: grapefruit, honeydew, peaches, raspberries and strawberries all give you fiber content with water to keep the system flushed. :) It's a good time of the month for protein shakes to help replenish struggling muscles and fight off cramps/fatigue.

Steamed spinach with lemon juice or hitting an oyster bar (low cal, protein, and high iron!) is a treat I especially enjoy on my period.

But the grits... if you want/need/must have that full feeling before ripping someone's head off in diet frustration, try the grits! (Salt, pepper and butter substitute if you want savory, or try Stevia and cinnamon if you want sweet) You can feel thanksgiving-stuffed on a 2-serving size if you accompany them with other liquid, 1-serving is usually "enough".

And if you really MUST tell your stomach to stop being a black hole, try a glass of water, the grits, and a diet soda. I'm not sure if soda + grits = foam in your belly, but you'll definitely feel like a full floatation device!

Good luck controlling your monthly alter-ego.... it aint' easy ladies....
  • alzina
    alzina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read in cosmo to drink chocolate milk after your workout. And its better for you.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The week before that time is a hungry week - I just do my best to eat for satiety to keep the calories only a smidge above normal, and I tell the chocolate monster to shut up.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    My biggest problem during my period is not being able to move. I get absolutely no exercise or even regular movement such as housework done.

As for cravings, I usually crave salty, spicy things so I eat carrots and salsa (not as good as chips and salsa but it's better than nothing). That way I can also have a ton since they're both so low-calorie.

If I crave sweets then I munch on lower calorie cereal. I really like Rice Chex, there's only 2 grams of sugar but they still taste sweet to me!