Microwave meals.

Options
Due to certain circumstances I had to leave where I was living and my brother was able tot take me in, However he is in the midst of renovations :S so no oven or stove, only a microwave.

What are some decent meals that can be done in the Microwave

Replies

• Lipvanmeier26
    Options
    Sorry but the only thing I know how to make in the microwave is a baked potato, However may I suggest you invest in a crockpot. Then you can make all kinds of things. Just a thought
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    what kind of food do you like?
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you must, the healthy choice meals are good for taste but all of those meals are high in sodium. But Green giant makes really good steamed veggie packs.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Yea I have been eating steamed veges and tuna for lunch. Birds eye make microwave steam bags, they are great, but they get a little bit boring.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Most frozen veggies can be prepared in microwave and are very good. I buy the Pictsweet (many different varieties). Do you g=have a crockpot or outdoor grill What about small toaster oven?
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the only thing I know how to make in the microwave is a baked potato, However may I suggest you invest in a crockpot. Then you can make all kinds of things. Just a thought

the crockpot is a great idea...also maybe a george foreman grill (or outdoor grill)
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    yeah you can steam veggies.. you can cook meat but it isnt that great..

George Foreman grills are like 20 bucks at Walmart then you can have yummy grilled meat.. I like to make kabobs on it too

I have made miniature pizzas using wheat pitas and low fat cheeses in the microwave before..

also their is an air popped popcorn bowl I own.. you just stick the kernels in there and it pops them.. no need for butter unless you want it.. 20 calories a cup!!

you can do veggie nachos with just a tiny bit of baked tortilla chips and low fat cheese and a LOT of tomatos and peppers and onions and jalapenos.. mmm...

progresso makes low sodium soups but they still have a lot of sodium.. lol

I have a rice steaming bowl that can be used in the microwave as well.. or they sell boil in bag rice you can make in the microwave.. brown rice isnt too bad...
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can buy tortilla shells and turn it into pizza. Just add sauce, alittle bit of cheese and as many veggies as you want and then microwave until the cheese is melted and the veggies and cooked through. Also you can make canned soup, just watch out for the sodium.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    Cheers guys, Lots of great ideas, hopefully I am not without a kitchen for too long. He is on his way to pick up his new kitchen today.

However I am in australia, so no walmart :P
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I really like weight watchers mushroom penne and also their risotto. It's so good, tastes like home cooked (well, I guess thats by my standards anyway - I don't come from a family of chefs or anything haha)
  • dfn12968
    dfn12968 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal's great in the microwave. Quick Oats, not the packaged stuff. 1/2 cup with a cup of water and then some honey; all non perishable, too. I am not at all a fan of pre-packaged meals, because they are full of sodium and chemicals, but if you have to eat them Amy's Organic are best and also Healthy Choice meals have the least amount of sodium in them.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Rice and quinoa are easy to cook in a microwave. Just bring to a boil, then cover and continue on the defrost setting for however long you'd have it on "low" if you were using the stove. That's how I do my morning steel cut oatmeal too, except that I don't cover it.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    I really like weight watchers mushroom penne and also their risotto. It's so good, tastes like home cooked (well, I guess thats by my standards anyway - I don't come from a family of chefs or anything haha)

Awe haha I am sure the can cook. But I do find that some of those meals are quite delicous!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    you can make eggs and bacon in the microwave for a good protein meal. Add any veggie you like. If you make brown rice cook it in fat free low sodium chicken broth, you can throw some peanuts in it to and any veggie you like. Add chicken if you can get a rotisserie chicken already cooked at the store. Steamfresh veggies, my fav is broccoli. Add a tiny bit of butter after done cooking with salt and pepper. I've been adding it to the rice with peaunuts. I've been cooking a potato, then add salt, pepper, tiny bit of butter then top with some meat, deli meat, tuna, chicken, what ever you like and top with the broccoli and sprinkly some cheddar cheese on top. Less than a fourth of a cup i use and melt in microwave. It's delicious!!!! Toast some bread, then butter lightly,then top with what you want, such as cheese alone or with bacon or ham or tuna then melt together in microwave you can add some avacado to that too. Nachos too, tortillas with beans and cheese and avacodo and any veggies you like.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    Oatmeal's great in the microwave. Quick Oats, not the packaged stuff. 1/2 cup with a cup of water and then some honey; all non perishable, too. I am not at all a fan of pre-packaged meals, because they are full of sodium and chemicals, but if you have to eat them Amy's Organic are best and also Healthy Choice meals have the least amount of sodium in them.

Oh this just turned me off of Microwave meals :(