Any 'at-home' lifters care to......

Options
... take a moment and devise a good full body plan with me?

I'd like to lift without watching a DVD and following alone, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I'd like to start with light weights and high reps for leaness to compliment my more cardio based workouts. I wanna burn some cals and keep my muscle to prevent as much flabbyness as possible.

I'd also like to lift/exercise head to toe for 1 hr - 1.25 hrs. Should that be split into sets per body section, i.e. 1) Back/Shoulders, 2)Bis & Tris, 3) Chest, 4) Core, 5) Quads/Glutes & 6)Calves/Balance with it ending up about 10-12 minutes each section. Then a breakdown per section of 3-4 different exercises (help me out on what those could be... I know some but not a lot, can google more) and do sets/reps in that time frame? Does this sound remotely like the right track?

Different lifting suggestions are welcome :) I usually do bi curls, bi hammers, tri kickbacks, shoulder flys, arm rows (reg & bent over), military & swimmer presses, tri extensions, pushups(reg & wide & sphinx), pull ups (underhand & overhand), squats, lunges (side, reg & curtsy), calf raises.... I'm not sure what else.

PMs welcome!

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific plan I follow. I do a lot of DVDs, but sometimes just do sets of weight lifting exercises, usually a set of 2 different moves, repeated a few times back to back, followed by a break for a minute or so, then on to the next set of 2 exercises.

I would, however, encourage you to go heavier weights, less reps. I ditched the girlie weights a couple years ago for heavier weights and fewer reps and I've never been leaner.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    You should get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" Just getting started myself but it is very informative.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You should get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" Just getting started myself but it is very informative.

I just got the guys version Sunday and am over 1/2 way through it i cant put it down its so full of information. I cant wait to get started on the plan later this week
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Ooooooo a book! Will look into it! I rarely have time to read, but I can make time for lifting research! :) Thanks so much
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    ... take a moment and devise a good full body plan with me?

I'd like to lift without watching a DVD and following alone, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I'd like to start with light weights and high reps for leaness to compliment my more cardio based workouts. I wanna burn some cals and keep my muscle to prevent as much flabbyness as possible.

I'd also like to lift/exercise head to toe for 1 hr - 1.25 hrs. Should that be split into sets per body section, i.e. 1) Back/Shoulders, 2)Bis & Tris, 3) Chest, 4) Core, 5) Quads/Glutes & 6)Calves/Balance with it ending up about 10-12 minutes each section. Then a breakdown per section of 3-4 different exercises (help me out on what those could be... I know some but not a lot, can google more) and do sets/reps in that time frame? Does this sound remotely like the right track?

Different lifting suggestions are welcome :) I usually do bi curls, bi hammers, tri kickbacks, shoulder flys, arm rows (reg & bent over), military & swimmer presses, tri extensions, pushups(reg & wide & sphinx), pull ups (underhand & overhand), squats, lunges (side, reg & curtsy), calf raises.... I'm not sure what else.

PMs welcome!

I'm LONG overdue on an article I promised weeks ago pertaining to in-home strength training. It's not nearly close to finished as I want to film some video to accompany it. In the meantime though, I'll say this about your post:

For starters, high reps do not promote leanness or toning or whatever. If you're new to resistance training, sure, pretty much anything will act as an overload and you'll realize increases in strength. Maybe even muscle. But as your body acclimates to the stimulus, you'll have to move away from the idea of high rep stuff if you're going to realize/optimize progress.

Let cardio and diet take care of the fat loss. Where I come from, resistance training should primarily be reserved for the muscle maintenance and strength building side of the equation. Sure, you can certainly do cardio with weights, but you still need a handful of sessions each week that promote the sexiness. :p

As far as how you split up your program, I wouldn't focus so much on breaking the body down into every single little part. The body operates as a whole, so it's best to train it as a whole. I like your idea of focusing on full body training. I'm not sure your particulars, but 2-3 full body sessions per week will likely suffice.

These sessions should revolve around big, multi-joint, multi-muscle movements. I like to break these up into pretty simplistic movement patters such as:

- SQUAT MOVEMENTS - bodyweight squats, goblet squats, walking lunges, reverse lunges, split lunges, step-ups, rear-foot elevated split squats, etc.

- HIP HINGE MOVEMENTS - deadlifts, pull throughs, hip thrusts, glute bridges, romanian deadlits, SHELCs, etc.

- PUSHING MOVEMENTS - bench press, push ups, overhead press, push press

- PULLING MOVEMENTS - row variations, inverted rows, pullups, pulldowns, etc.

This is by no means a complete list, but the point is, you can pretty much hit your entire body using something as simple as:

Squat
    Bench
    Row

Most people like flashier than this, which I get. You need to have fun. But in all honesty, you don't need complex programming. I'm a fan of simply making a couple of full body routines and alternating them each time that you train. If you have an A and a B program and you train 3 times per week, you can do ABA week 1 and BAB week 2.

Just an example... there are many ways to structure things.
  • nowornever78
    nowornever78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump