Tomatoeless recipes Especially Chili!

Options
Hi! I'm probably of the minoirity, but does anyone have any super good recipes for tomotoeless chili? Or even other good recipes that don't have tomatoes? I have a boyfriend and a dad who LOVE tomatoes and everytime I even attempt to make chili or anythin else that would usually have chunks of tomatoes in it, without the tomatoes they say it tastes bad and won't eat any!!!

Replies

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hate tomatoes myself, so I'd love to hear some tomatoless recipes as well!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I made chili last week with ground turkey, white beans and pumpkin instead of tomatoes. Yes...a can of pumpkin and it was quite good! She found it on the skinny crock pot website.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This one is pretty good, I thought. (edit: it's what the poster above is referring to, it would appear)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html
  • Tigergal71
    Options
    WHat about the tomatoes in a jar of salsa? I have a DELICIOUS taco chili recipe, but I use a jar of salsa in it.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chili fan but this goes over well when our work cafeteria makes it.
    'white chicken chili - sample recipe http://www.karenceliafox.com/Eating/recipe_whitechili.htm

and some other popular ones

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/no-tomato-chili/detail.aspx
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/100531/dads-crockpot-chili-no-tomato.html
  • Jessyrabbit
    Jessyrabbit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't even stand to eat anything that has touched fresh raw tomatoes. I'm okay w/ salsa and pasta sacues as long as they are cut up REALLLLY small. But theres something about canned tomatos that you would use in chilis and other homemade recipes that are just to close to raw tomatos for me!
  • LittlestStar
    LittlestStar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've made tomatoless chili and it's yummy. Chili is awesome because you can basically throw in whatever you like, then spice it, and it's REALLY hard to mess up. I've made something like the following before. Sorry I don't have measurements...I just kind of go by feel and taste as I go:

beans of some kind (the 15 bean mixes are nice, or a pinto, kidney bean mix would work), vegetable broth, cut up onion, cut up yellow pepper, jalapeno, a can of corn, maybe some beer, and then tons of spices (chili powder, chipotle powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne if you like it hot, cumin, maybe some cinnamon)... Set the crock pot and forget!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Chili should have 2 required ingredients: Chili and Meat! (NO BEANS!) Really you can adapt any recipe just leave out the tomatoes.

Bison Chili

1 cup diced onions ( my boys prefer 1/2 cup)
    1 diced bell pepper
    2 tbs. fresh minced garlic
    1 pound ground Bison
    2-4 tbs. chili molido (new mexican chili powder)
    1/2 tbs cumin
    1/2 tbs cayenne to taste
    sea salt to taste.

saute the peppers, garlic and onion, add meat and saute together. Mix spices and add to meat mixture. let simmer 30-40 minutes or so, add more liquid if needed. (water or v-8 juice) Bison is really lean so you have to watch it.
  • Jessyrabbit
    Jessyrabbit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HA! My boyfriend would be down for the beer seasoning! haha
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I just made chili for the first time this past week and didn't use tomatoes in it, as I don't like them either.

I used:
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    3 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
    2 lbs. of dry pinto beans (I cooked them prior to mixing with chili ingredients)
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 package of McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning (reduced sodium)

However, this is NOT spicy at all. I don't like anything spicy, so I made it like this and my DH & DS add hot sauce to their individual servings. This made 16 servings of 198g each.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Tomatoless Chicken Chili

2 tsp olive oil
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 1/2 cups of chopped onions
    1 cup diced celery
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    3 cups of chicken broth
    1 can of evaporated milk (2%)
    2 cans of navy beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 can of green chilies
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1 cup light sour cream
    2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
    Shredded cheese (optional)
    Green onions (chopped - optional)

Heat olive oil, in a large non stick soup pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 min, stirring till no longer pink. Add onion, celery and garlic, cook for 4-5 more min.

Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander to chicken. Mix well and cook 1 min till fragrant. Add flour and stir until chicken is well coated. Stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 5 min.

Add beans, green chilies, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to chicken mixture. Reduce heat to mediun low, cover and simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally.

Remove chili from heat, stir in sour cream and cilantro. Ladle chili into serving bowls and top with cheese and onions.

MAKES 8 servings

309 calories
    4.1 g of fat
    1.2 sat fat
    34 g of protein
    34 g of carbs
    9.3 g of fiber
    846 mg of sodium

ENJOY - it's really a nice change!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Good substitutes for the colour and flavour that tinned tomato usually gives dishes are (from my experience, because I am not a fan of tinned tomatoes - but I LOVE fresh tomatoes):

Ketchup
    Tomato puree mixed with stock
    Paprika
    Pimenton
    Red peppers - preserved after being roasted especially good, when chopped or blended into a sauce