Dwn in the dumps

Options
I am feeling so down in the dumps

For so long I havewanted to lose weight. Everynight I say tomorrow I will start. Then when tomorrow comes something comes up and I say I'll start tomorrow.

My husband always trys to support me but I just cant seem to stay focussed. But even with his support I can't seem to keep focussed.

It makes me grumpy, low, lazy and lethargic.

I just don't know how to do this.

I give into temptation constantly and don't know how to stay on track.

I'm not expecting a response to this but I just wanted to get it out of my system.

Replies

• mrskellyray
    Options
    Try taking a zumba class! It is SOOO much fun I actually look forward to doing it! :) I come home and i'm dancing all night!

Also, Jillian micheals is great for this because you see results so quickly. Definitely do measurements and take them again once a month! It keep me wayy motivated when I see inches gone! :)

A structured eating plan (I just started herbalife) is also good so you won't be trying to figure out how to eat healthy every meal of every day. I like herbalife because I basically can eat whatever I want for dinner, and the shakes are yummy!

Also, make a top ten lists of reasons you want to work out! This does wonders! I did it and posted in everywhere in my apartment, so whenever I feel unmotivated I read it! :)

Hope this helps! :) You can do it!

12339664.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • azachery
    azachery Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't Quit! I've been there so many times... continue to think about yourself and your health. I like this poem to keep me motivated. I have felt that same way, but each time was able to get back on track with the help of others. Today I will pray for you and your tenacity! You can do it! If not, you would not be here on myfitnesspal today. If you had given up you would just ignore this website. Let us encourage you! You never know, you have been an inspiration to me today. I am now going to go and do my exercises because there have been times when I would have not done it. I didn't want to do it today, in fact, I had made it up in my mind. But because of your post, I'm, about to workout. I hope you will too or at least make one step (drink your 64 oz. of water) anything helps!

Take care, Alena

The Don't Quit presentation is based on a famous poem which was written many years ago. The author of this poem is unknown. Sadly, in recent years a number of people have claimed ownership of the poem and some have even claimed to have written it themselves!
    Here is the original poem in it's entirety:
    When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.
    Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about,
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
    You may succeed with another blow.
    Often the goal is nearer than,
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up,
    When he might have captured the victor's cup,
    And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.
    Success is failure turned inside out--
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far,
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
    - Author unknown
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you truly want a jump start try eating diet to go meals. You can order them online. If you really want to lose weight use the for lunch and dinner. They are fulling and should help you. They are BY NO MEANS a subsitute for eating under 1200 and working out ever day or every other day but it might help.
  • trill0042
    trill0042 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. Every night I would say "tomorrow's the day I'll start" and then by noon I would have changed my mind. Don't start by going on a full out diet. Start slow, take baby steps. Start by making easily achievable goals for yourself and then work your way more difficult ones.

One of the initial goals I set for myself had to do with eating fast food. I'm (was) a big Taco Bell fan. LOVED the 5 layer burritos. I would sometimes buy them two or three times a week, and eat 2 or 3 at a time. I started by telling myself that I could still have the burritos, but I could only eat at Taco Bell once a week. After that went on for about a month, I set a new goal of going to Taco Bell once every two weeks. etc

You can do it! Don't let the "dark place" get you down.
  • aliciar3
    Options
    I don't believe in start tomorrow or start next week. Start RIGHT NOW, even if it's 1.34pm on a Thursday.

Perhaps you're changing too much all at once? Try starting slowly. Instead of doing a complete overhaul of your diet and trying to exercise 6 times a week maybe first just concentrate on your diet. Try cutting your portion sizes down for a week. Then try and cut out the soda/sweets. Then try and introduce more fresh foods. Then start incorporating exercise.

Have a read through some of the success stories, I find them truely motivational and it really does make you feel 'if they can do it, I can do it!'

I wish you all the best, I have absolute faith that you can reach your goals, just start slow, don't beat yourself up for making a mistake - we all do - and have patience :) it will happen.
  • tish30930
    tish30930 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything as inspirational to say as anyone that's already posted, or that will post after me for that matter. What I do know is how I used to be so hard on myself and beat myself up... all or nothing attitude... "well, I'll start on Monday" I'd tell myself.... when it's Wednesday... Monday is a long way away. "Well... I already ate 1/2 the bag of oreos, I might as well finish the rest, I'm hopeless" Id tell myself. "Well, I'm already here at the restaurant, yes I'll get the appetizers, and the meal, and the dessert..., I'll worry about it tomorrow".... It was always tomorrow, it was always, I've already been "bad" so why not go all out!!! Finish the donuts! Finish the frosting! Finish the entire box of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Those voices were always telling me something like that.

Then one day, I don't know why, I decided just because I had 2 donuts, didn't mean I had to have 6. And just because I had 4 slices of pizza, didn't mean I had to eat the entire bag of chips too. You have to be more forgiving of yourself. Just right now, right now.... that's all you have. So when you want a slice of pizza, it's okay. Because you can have soup and salad for dinner. Or when you want to have a bunch of cookies, you can because you can go for a walk after.

It's that all or nothing attitude, those voices that beat you up.... Don't listen! YOU can do this! You can take it minute by minute. You don't have to be perfect. And you don't have to wait for Monday. I wish you all the best in trying to let yourself be human and be imperfect. It's okay to not be perfect. It's okay to keep trying, minute by minute to make better choices for yourself, for your health, for the way you look, for the way you feel. I hope you decide to make those choices!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    take a couple of days and DONT think for one second about food and exercise. Just be normal, natural. Dont tell yourself you cant, shouldnt or wouldnt. Once your head is in the right place the rest will follow. Sometimes this might take a few days, or maybe even a few months - but seriously, you'll just continue to get more angry with yourself as long as you try and force yourself. Your head has more to do with weightloss than your hunger or your legs! And keep it in perspective - is not losing weight today, tomorrow or next week the end of the world?