Zumba

Options
I hate exercise, but I know I have to. I have fibromyalgia and plantar fasciitis. The latter means just walking makes my feet hurt so bad. A new zumba studio is opening soon and I want to try it. I know it's a tough workout which is what I want. Does anybody here do Zumba and if so is it really hard on your feet? I can work through the fibro. pain, I've had it for quit awhile, but the foot thing is awful.

Replies

• juzyma
    juzyma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Zumba workout and I enjoyed it. In some of the dances there is jumping but you can just do steps instead. What is great is you can move around quite a bit but at your own pace and your own movement. Have Fun!!
  • Robinson430
    Options
    Hello Myla, I go to my Zumba class every week and it is wonderful. I don't think that it is hard on the feet at all but then again, I don't have what you have. So, I don't know how it will be for you. I will just say try it to see how much of it you can stand. It is a great workout! Let me know how it works out.
  • jpeople5
    Options
    I take 1 to 2 Zumba classes a week. I am addicted! It is so fun and, depending on how hard you work and your instructor, you burn a lot of calories. ( I burned around 900 in 1 hour tonight!) You can always modify the moves to your own ability due to your condition. I also recommend you try out as many instructors as you can. I have tried about 5 and there is only 1 that I really love and fits me!
  • baya35
    baya35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Zumba is like a fast dance class pretty much, a lot of fun! If u cant jump, then dont, zumba is one class where u can just put your on flavor on your moves and do whatever feels good, just keep moving!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fascists in the past and I'm doing zumba now. I wear an arch brace on my foot to help support it so I don't injure it again. You can get them cheap on amazon. As long as you have good supportive shoes and take it easy, you'll be ok.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fascists in the past and I'm doing zumba now. I wear an arch brace on my foot to help support it so I don't injure it again. You can get them cheap on amazon. As long as you have good supportive shoes and take it easy, you'll be ok.
  • reebop67
    Options
    Myla57 - I had terrible plantar fasciitis. I have no ties to it this website, the company or the product, except that their product fixed my problem. Check out http://www.heel-that-pain.com The inserts I bought were around $30. My feet ached for the first 2 weeks, but then I noticed the pain in my heels was getting better. It took two months, but I've been free from heel pain ever since. I know nothing about Zumba, sorry! I hope you enjoy the class, though!
  • Jessicareyes78
    Jessicareyes78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have plantar faciaitis with heel spurs and Zumba only aggrevates it if I have been on my feet all day long. I stretch my calves and feet several times a day before and after Zumba and it seems to help. Rolling a glof ball to the bottom of foot work wonders too. I also buy new sneakers every 3 months because the wear n tear on the bottom of sneaker hurts my foot. I currently have the Brooks running she 11th edition with DNA technology. bought them at finish line on sale for $79.

Enjoy Zumba It's fun...try water aquatics those are fun too and great for weight bearing issues and fibromyalgia.

11403935.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ddwyer4
    ddwyer4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    See if this studio offers Zumba Gold. When you work at this level the movements are not as extreme and there is not as much jumping involved. I had done Zumba for over a year and then injured myself elsewhere and had surgery for a torn meniscus. When I got the ok to go back i started with the Zumba Gold. Now I take regular classes and just adjust what I do. The big thing is to just keep moving during class. I agree with another post that said try out different instructors. They all have a slightly different way that they do things. Good luck. I wear a pedometer and find that I take between 6000 - 8000 steps each class.
  • passcindi
    Options
    I am new to area can you tell me if there is a Zumba class near Baltimore area?