Lose fat in legs?

Options
2»

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Anything to put resistance on those thighs!! I squat like crazy..All kinds of squats...and kind of strength training exercises for thighs will help alot and of course mix in some cardio :)
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't have an answer, but very curious about the responses. I don't know how much smaller my top can get before the bottom has no choice left, but I'm definitely not proportionate.
  • insidelane
    insidelane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Targeted fat loss is impossible. Your body adds and removes fat based entirely on genetics. Your best bet is to just have a solid calories deficit to lose weight, and eventually your problem areas will start to cut up.

Targeting strength gain is possible, but won't get rid of any fat/flab in the area.

I like how everyone ignored this post completely; even though it's 100% true.

But go on, keep believing that your 'muscle lengthening yoga' will burn fat in your legs.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't pick where you lose fat from - just focus on bringing down your overall fat percentage. The rest is genetics :flowerforyou:
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't pick where you lose fat from - just focus on bringing down your overall fat percentage. The rest is genetics :flowerforyou:

exactly..use a combination of diet, cardio and weight training along with a calorie deficit to bring down your overall bodyfat% and to build/maintain muscle
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above - you can't choose to lose fat from one particular area (oh, how I wish I could!) but if you reduce your overall body fat and tone up the muscles in your legs you should see some change.
    I have lost over 20kg and am 4 pants sizes smaller but my thighs are still wobbly, in spite of running 4 times a week. I know I need to do more strength training so I'm working that in a few times a week too.
    Ultimately though, you will always have the body shape you are genetically programmed for (ie, I have chunky thighs!) but eating well and exercising has made a BIG difference.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Targeted fat loss is impossible. Your body adds and removes fat based entirely on genetics. Your best bet is to just have a solid calories deficit to lose weight, and eventually your problem areas will start to cut up.

Targeting strength gain is possible, but won't get rid of any fat/flab in the area.

This^

Spot reduction is a myth.
  • enigmarm
    enigmarm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You can't target fat loss. It just depends on how your body stores fat. Typically if you gain fat quickly in your waist (for example), it'll also come off quickly there.
    You may certainly try increasing muscle there to firm up the legs a bit. But then just be consistent and patient. Keep working out and eating healthy and it'll work its way off eventually!
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hiking works for me, mainly because I'm to lazy to go jogging.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    That's the same issue for me. It is literally the last place I notice weight loss from. I know you cannot spot reduce fat, but try jillian's killer buns and thighs video. If you can work those muscles more, you will burn more fat and those muscles will be toned again.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Reducing overall fat percentage is the way to go! Work on complex movements(say, jump squats). Such movements help build core strength and as you build muscle, the fat ought to go!