Recommend a Multivitamin

Options
Hi everyone, looking for a good multivitamin. Does it matter? Are they all the same? What should I be looking for?

I'm trying to improve my diet but it's slow going. I've been increasing veg intake(which was practically nil) but think I could still do with ensuring I'm getting the vitamins I need.

I regularly feel tired/have little energy so I'm hoping it might perk me up too.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Nature's Way Alive (whole food multivitamin) or Youngevity Beyond Tangy Tangerine (liquid, tastes like OJ contains no sugar)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Vitamins really aren't gonna perk you up. Unless, of course, you're actually deficient in one or more vitamins... then you might feel the effects... but usually, adding them to your diet will not drastically improve your energy levels. To improve energy levels, you need more calories, more sleep, more exercise, or a combo of the three.

There's some limited research that suggests vitamin Bs are good energy and depression... but... I personally don't think the evidence is that strong.

If you're deficient in vitamin D, then taking D supplements will help.

Likewise, if you're deficient in iron, taking iron will help.

They won't provide an instant fix though. It can take a couple months, especially with iron deficiencies.

You'll hear different things about what makes a "good" multivitamin. Some are more bioavailable than others... I really don't know if any of that has been verified by good clinical trials.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    If you think you need vitamins & minerals to perk you up then you're better getting them from your food. Try to eat different colour fruit & veg to get a good mix of vits & minerals. Your body knows how to handle vitamins from food, but the synthetic ones in vitamins are a bit of an unknown quantity. Your body can't process them the same, so they are in bigger doses & you poop out most of it. Perhaps you're iron deficient? A blood test can confirm it. Either way you'll find downing a smoothie a more pleasant experience than swallowing a pill.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I take the women's active gnc vitamin. I only take one a day since I think two would be too much. They add some energy, not jittery, just a feeling of being refreshed so I try and take them an hour before my work out.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I can find some of them here in Thailand.

Yeah I'm not expecting it to be a cure-all in terms of energy, I just want to rule out the chance that it's simply a nutrition issue.

It's certainly improved since I've started eating better(though that's gone downhill recently, but I'm restarting), and exercising regularly.

Obviously, ideally, I'd be getting everything I need from my food, but I don't think I am. My diet is improving, but slowly and surely and I'd rather not push too far for fear of going backwards.

Thanks again for the tips.
  • ChantalO89
    ChantalO89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well since your 25 and a female..the best multi-vitamin for you to take is a pre-natal vitamin. They say that all women of child-bearing age should take it, just in case.. and they have all your body needs and more. I take it and feel so more energized.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I just started taking ALIVE! with Energy multivitamins. Has anyone tried these?