3 big meals or 6 small meals-what works best for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I read that Jenifer Aniston eats 5 small meals. If it works for her, it must work for everyone.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life, I have gone from 2-3 large meals to 5 small meals a day. Since I also for the first time started counting calories, I can not tell what the major contributor to my weight loss has been. But the smaller 5 meals, counting calories, and exercising 1-2 (preferably twice) a day has really spike my metabolism. There are days where I have cheated, but kept right on with 5 meals and I have continued to lose the weight in spite of the cheat meal.

Genetically, I tend to hold on to fat. I easily put muscle on but even in the best shape of my adult life I could never conqueor my love handles. I think the trick to it is to never let your body feel like it has to hold on to the fat. My suggestion is to give it a try. Technically 6 would be ideal, I just can't fit it into my day. Put a lean protein source in every meal (harder to digest, burns more calories) and mix it with 5 fruit or veggies through out the day. Seems to have been working for me.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty often. It really depends on my hunger at the moment. I have something pre workout and post workout. I'll eat again once I get to work, then lunch, a snack, dinner, and another snack. I guess I eat about 7 times!!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've set up my diary in 3 hour intervals.

<9AM
    9-noon
    noon-3
    3-6
    6-9
    >9PM

I try to eat something during every period. Usually happens, unless I'm really busy.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options

<9AM
    9-noon
    noon-3
    3-6
    6-9
    >9PM

I try to eat something during every period. Usually happens, unless I'm really busy.

that's exactly how mine is set up!!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

<9AM
    9-noon
    noon-3
    3-6
    6-9
    >9PM

Did you do the math to get the intervals right? I'm pathetically bound to math.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    3 300 calorie meals and 3 100 calorie snacks or as close to it as I can get.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i eat from 2:30 -10:30 pm, normally a small meal, a large meal and dessert
  • CINDYLOU1966
    CINDYLOU1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hi
    I like to learn how to eat these 6 small meal .. but I not sure how to go about it and what to eat and how to do meal plans for the day . do you know where i can to to look at differtant meal plans and how much calories there are in them .. and what is the righ amount each mean and snak for calories ? if anyone know please let me know thanks you all so much . i am trying to stay with in 1200 to 1500 cal a day with my work out .. thanks
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like one big filling meal heavy on the protein and veggies, and three smaller meals/snacks. Sometimes my big meal is in the morning, and sometimes around 4:00 in the afternoon... If I eat my big meal at 4:00 then my evening snack is usually just 100 calories, If I have my big meal in the morning then I have a 100 or so calorie snack for lunch and then one small meal in the late afternoon/early evening and a 300 calorie snack while watching TV at night (usually a piece of fruit and some popcorn)

I've tried spreading my calories out evenly throughout the day but it leaves me very unsatisfied if I don't feel completely full (but not overstuffed) at least once in the day.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

<9AM
    9-noon
    noon-3
    3-6
    6-9
    >9PM

mine is very similar too. it's actually set up in 4 hour blocks, and part of it is mental. now i go, "danny, you just ate your morning snack at 8:30am. you can't eat lunch until at least noon."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i usually have 3 meals, and 3 snacks!

During the week is roughly like this:

Breakfast - 7am - 300cals
    Morning snack - 11am - 100 cals
    Lunch - 12.30 - 400/500 cals
    Afternoon snack - 3pm - 100 cals
    Pre workout snack - 4.30pm - 100 cals
    Dinner - 7pm - 700 cals
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Usually 4 proper meals, and a fifth small thing (protein shake) + snacks.

I just see it as breakfast (9-10am) lunch (12-2pm) dinner (4-6pm) and evening meal (8-9pm) Protein shake before bed about Midnight.
    Snacks I'll just have randomly, or if I'm really hungry when food is cooking and I can't wait.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    6 (or more!) small meals! I've always been a grazer and I'm never hungry enough for a big one.
  • lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    i do 3meals and 3snacks..
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-5 times and find this keeps me most satisfied and has helped me to lose weight at this stage of my life. I usually eat at ~7 am, 10:30-11 am, 1:30/2:00 pm (sometimes don't feel the need for this one and skip it), and 5 to 6 pm. I'm rarely hungry after dinner.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eating when I'm hungry (and only then) is what works best for me. Sometimes it's 3-4 meals + snacks, sometimes it's 2 and no snacks. Just depends on the day and my activity level for that day. On weekends I generally do well with two 700+ calorie meals. Weekdays I'm more apt to eat 3 meals and maybe a light snack if I eat a light lunch.
  • 4abeach
    4abeach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've realized I am an evening snacker! So I have begun planning for it and it kind of works (I hate to say!). I don't really want to eat until noon so I just let it happen naturally now and it seems to be working for me. I usually have lunch, then dinner, then several snacks and maybe a beer or a glass of wine. If I do it this way I stay under my calories. I am sure this is not good, but I like it! SHOOT!! Is this bad????