Ah, that explains the plateau

Options
I had been losing 1lb every 5-7 days since starting in August, and was quite happy and proud of myself. But since starting at the gym 4 weeks ago I'd lost only 1lb, which was very disheartening when I was doing so much more than before! I tried to ignore it as I was feeling really good in general, starting to enjoy the gym etc.

When I'd hit a 10lb loss a while ago, MFP suggested recalculating my goals, and I'd said 'yes'. Nothing had changed, but I assumed that was OK, and continued on. But a couple of days ago I had another look, hit 'recalculate' and my calorie allowance went down by 100 cals! I don't know what happened, perhaps my wifi had dropped its connection or something, but clearly it *hadn't* recalculated and I've been eating at maintenance for a month - aarrrgghhh! I've lost a pound since I moved to the new amount - so I'm on my way again :-)

Worth double checking.

Replies

• Cornwallis68
    Cornwallis68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot hungrier though - I'd got kind of settled into my previous amount and the lower one is taking some getting used to!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i update my calorie goals every 2 pounds. it lowers it by about 10-20 calories, which is a nice adjustment to make, little by little.
  • Cornwallis68
    Options
    Good idea - I'll be keeping a closer eye on it from now on!
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'll have a look, too! :noway:
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    how do you recalculate?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem ever since starting at MFP. It doesn't always seem to update properly :(
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    how do you recalculate?

setting on top of the page, then go to "update diary/fitness profile" or something.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I had been losing 1lb every 5-7 days since starting in August, and was quite happy and proud of myself. But since starting at the gym 4 weeks ago I'd lost only 1lb, which was very disheartening when I was doing so much more than before! I tried to ignore it as I was feeling really good in general, starting to enjoy the gym etc.

When I'd hit a 10lb loss a while ago, MFP suggested recalculating my goals, and I'd said 'yes'. Nothing had changed, but I assumed that was OK, and continued on. But a couple of days ago I had another look, hit 'recalculate' and my calorie allowance went down by 100 cals! I don't know what happened, perhaps my wifi had dropped its connection or something, but clearly it *hadn't* recalculated and I've been eating at maintenance for a month - aarrrgghhh! I've lost a pound since I moved to the new amount - so I'm on my way again :-)

Worth double checking.

100 cals difference wouldnt be maintenance
  • Cornwallis68
    Options
    100 cals difference wouldnt be maintenance

I guess that's technically true - after ll, I did lose 1lb - apologies for using inaccurate terminology. I meant that I'd pretty much been maintaining my weight, which is empirically true.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the 100 calories explains it. To lose one pound per week, you had a deficit of about. 500 calories perday (3500 cal per pound)
    Not trying to be a naysayer, just to gently encourage you to keep analyzing and not give up if the 100 cal difference doesn't have the effect you're hoping for.
    good luck!