Christmas: What's your strategy?

Options
Ok, we're halfway through November so it's hard to avoid the 'C' word. It's that time of year when overindulgence is practically the LAW - the booze, cakes, FOOD... I swear, between Christmas socials at work (of which there were several), at home and with my friends (on top of my already unhealthy diet) I put on a clean 7 pounds last Christmas.

This year, I plan to stick to my diet but I know the temptation will be intense! Any strategies? I don't want to start 2012 a half-stone heavier!!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Ok, we're halfway through November so it's hard to avoid the 'C' word. It's that time of year when overindulgence is practically the LAW - the booze, cakes, FOOD... I swear, between Christmas socials at work (of which there were several), at home and with my friends (on top of my already unhealthy diet) I put on a clean 7 pounds last Christmas.

This year, I plan to stick to my diet but I know the temptation will be intense! Any strategies? I don't want to start 2012 a half-stone heavier!!

I'm gonna allow myself a little of everything, but portion sizes are the key. Also, gonna exercise like a maniac day before and after christmas.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to make it through Thanksgiving, for now! That is a very big deal for us.

I guess I can consider it a test for how to balance my calories at Christmas. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is just one day, not the whole season. Eat what I want on Christmas and stick to my calories the rest of the time.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I only really have two "Christmas meals"...so...exercise and maintenance of my calories for the rest of the days I'm on vacation, and better portion control on the days I'm eating big meals. I know I will be able to work out on one of those two days, too, so I'm not *too* worried.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing the same thing but for both Christmas & Thanksgiving. Being a Celiac, there isn't much that I can eat at Thanksgiving usually, BUT! I know I still need to keep it monitored. =]
  • HayleyDavison1
    HayleyDavison1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Im going to stay in my calories/exercise plan over the 2weeks off for Christmas - apart from Christmas day - which I can treat myself to anything - yet I know my mind/stomach wont want half as much as I would of last year!!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to make it through Thanksgiving, for now! That is a very big deal for us.

I guess I can consider it a test for how to balance my calories at Christmas. :)

Agreed! My strategy is basically to only indulge on the day of (the actual holiday). I think what gets me is the over-eating on all of the days before/after the actual holiday while family is still together.
  • biochick2004
    Options
    Well, besides trying not to go too crazy with the portions, I'll get some extra exercise in to make up for it. My cousin and I started a tradition, after the big family dinners, we have a Wii or Xbox dance party at her house, to burn off some of those excess calories.
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about going into maintenance mode for the month of December. I am 6 pounds from my goal and if I don't gain any then I will be happy. I'm like you, I always seem to gain in the month of December!
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options

This is a great topic! I'm on the lookout for tips, but my plan as of now is to make each holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) a one day thing. If I make it, it leaves the house the same day... either in bellies or in take home plates! I am also giving myself a one plate rule... so I get one plate of whatever I want, then it's over! I'm hoping that way I can indulge a bit and enjoy myself, but not turn one day into three weeks of unhealthy leftovers etc.

I'm already struggling with the holiday parties at my job, but if you look closely (VERY closely) there is usually a healthy option. Yesterday there was fried chicken, french fries, and pastries on platters at my job... but there was also a barely touched salad bowl. I loaded the plate with salad then stuck a few treats on the edges of the plate--a few fries, two cookies. The old me would have had that plate in the exact reverse order... a plate of fries and chicken with a little salad on the edge :-)
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue to log my calories, stick to my allowance, and workout through the season. For the day itself I'm going to just have a light breakfast and dinner, so that I can use my calories (900 or so) on my family Christmas lunch. I've probably mentioned before that I have a severe allergy to dairy, so I don't have problems like chocolates, cakes etc. that others do. Just my portion control for me.
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I've decided to treat myself with 3 things TOPS during a dinner. One specific piece of candy or one specific drink etc. And then focus on the healthiest things I can find otherwise :)
  • misscase
    Options
    I'm nervous about the holidays too. I think the key will just be to allow myself to eat what I want as long as I really watch the portion sizes. It's a time to celebrate, so I don't want to make myself miserable longing for that cookie, but in the same token I also don't want to overdo it.
    I think I will also exercise a little extra around that time.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Exercise and watch my cals- nothing out of the ordinary.

I may for a friends party exercise to pad my cals.
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I reckon that I am okay so long as I stay away from the fruit cake. That stuff is absolutely the worst food you could possibly eat. It has diabetes and heart disease written all over it.

Ummm....Yummy diabetes!

In any case, I plan on hitting the Thanksgiving and Christmas foods like a sledgehammer, but I will also be hitting the elliptical a little harder before and after these days.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's madness to stress to much about it, cos that'll just spoil it for everyone. I plan to walk as much as possible, and try to involve the rest of the family too. My new healthy eating(it's not a diet is it!) suits me so well that I really don't crave the fatty rich food so hopefully I'll say no. But whatever slips I make I'm not going to beat myself up, just carry on the new healthy journey I'm enjoying so much. Good luck, happy christmas, and enjoy.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thansgiving and X-mas are only 2 meals in a 6 week period. I will allow myself to go a little over my cals those 2 meals but stick to my macros. When going to a social thing...put a few low carb bars in your purse so in an emergency you have something to help you get through. If you are cooking... make everybody take ALL your leftovers home. If you are going to someones home...No doggie bags!! Works for me! :wink:
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Like others have said it is just one day so i am going to treat myself as otherwise i will be grumpy and feel deprived then straight back on it after

xxx
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    im buying myself a nice christmas dessert plate and ill limit myself to that since the snacks will get me ... i usually just fill my plate with desserts and sit it beside me and snack all night on it ..... but i also use it for dinner to lower my caloric intake to accomodate the snacks i KNOW i am going to eat!
  • Gayafrench
    Options
    I am on holiday from 22nd December to the 3rd of January. On the 22nd morning, I will switch my allowance to maintenance and I will try to burn with exercice a minimum of 200 cal /day, giving me more calories to eat and yet maintain.

Well that's the plan, the reality... we'll see