What hula hoop should I get?

Options
I just went to Amazon looking for a hula hoop for exercise. So many choices. What weight should I get? Would you recommend a particular brand or are they all basically the same? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    there are more than one type??!!!!!! wth? lol sorry, i just didnt even know they still made them, i loved loved to hula hoop when i was younger!!! i would think something simple and cheap, afterall, you're going to be relying on your muscle group to make it work to its max
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cheapie for $5 in the kids toy section. I can't even keep it up for 3 minutes ! Guess I'll keep at it as it definitely is a great workout.
  • zumbalove29
    zumbalove29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have 3 of them and you should get a weighted one made for adults to exercise with. I have a 5, 7, and 10 pound one. You will get sore hips and rib cage when you first start but its such a great workout and fun!
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the kind that lets you do this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZdqgW6Mdg
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    the larger ones are able to stay up longer. We made one out of sprinkler hose, coupling and duct tape. When it is in a circle you want the middle to be at mid waist high. Amazing what you can know about hula hoops.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have 3 of them and you should get a weighted one made for adults to exercise with. I have a 5, 7, and 10 pound one. You will get sore hips and rib cage when you first start but its such a great workout and fun!
    Hmm most of the ones I saw (just a quick glance though) were only like 2-4 pounds. I'm guessing the heavier ones are a better workout. Do you think 10 pounds is too much to start out with? To clarify, I am able to keep mine going without dropping it. The one I have now has some kind of liquid in it, but it's not very heavy.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop exercising!! I must look into this.. Have you guys seen that video by Beyonce a few years back where she was dancing with a hula hoop?? LOL... Super sexy and if you get a workout from it, it's a plus!!!

Thanks for the idea, looking into now!!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Where did you buy your hula hoops?