Any suggestions for Meditations to curb cravings/hunger?

I know that this is a technique that some physicians recommend, but I'm really just starting out on the whole meditation thing. Can anyone out there offer assistance on this topic? I'm looking for any type of mantra and some guidance in using it.

Has anyone used this method with success or found something else that has worked? My problem snacking times are at night (of course) and during stressful times at work.

Replies

• monih10
    monih10 Posts: 577 Member
    :smile: I would love to know about this too!!
  • I would like to know about this as well!
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    I have the same problem when I'm at work. I try taking a quick 3-5 minute walk to clear my head. Breathe deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth. You can also repeat a two syllable word as you're breathing to help you focus. I use Relax. Breathe in "re", breathe out "lax". It really works well for me.

My doctor also told me that when we're stressed out, we're inclined to eat "comfort" food because, when we eat, the blood rushes from our brains to our stomachs to digest the food. There isn't enough blood left in our brain to concentrate on what was bothering us. Sometimes, just keeping that in mind helps me, too.
  • ashmitatua
    ashmitatua Posts: 35 Member
    Ever heard of Swami Ramdev. He is one of the well known Indian yoga guru. I did all the "prayanams" that he shows in the video attached and it did help curb appetite and lose weight. "Kapalbhati" helps reduce stomach fat.
    See if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Jnra2O9Fc&feature=relmfu

Ash
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Usually when I crave a food, it's because my body needs something in that food. If it's cravings to eat emotionally or out of boredom, I try to eat low calorie things that are relatively good for me (baby carrots and salsa, cucumber, air-popped pop corn). Also, I Iike sunflower seeds because it takes me a while to shell them.

For meditations, I am not sure if you have ever heard of "Adam" the Dreamhealer? My buddy is really into his stuff and he has a DVD out that uses visualizations to help people heal from physical illnesses, but you can customize his approach for almost any physical thing? I like the DVD because even though it is really simple and basic it keeps me on track.
  • Ever heard of Swami Ramdev. He is one of the well known Indian yoga guru. I did all the "prayanams" that he shows in the video attached and it did help curb appetite and lose weight. "Kapalbhati" helps reduce stomach fat.
    See if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Jnra2O9Fc&feature=relmfu

Ash

Thanks Ash! I watched a portion of the video but will try to watch the rest later.

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/weight/weight_meditation-for-weight-control.htm

I found the above link as well as a starting place for anyone else interested in trying this out. Thanks everyone for your comments and help. :) Let me know if anyone else has any articles or personal experiences with meditation that they'd like to share.
  • I don't know anything about the meditations but I can tell you that chewing sugar free gum helps with my cravings as well as a small glass of milk in the evening.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    'My problem snacking times are at night (of course) and during stressful times at work.

I too suffer from nighttime snack cravings & boredom eating.
    I decided I needed something to keep my hands & mind busy, while allowing myself some downtime - so I found a hobby!
    I've always known how to crochet, and now I'm teaching myself how to knit.
    I can sit with the family, engage in conversation, watch tv and still keep busy with the crocheting or knitting. Keeps me outta the kitchen and is a productive hobby as well!! Also very relaxing, stress free hobby - that is, if you choose an easy pattern - LOL

Just my 2 cents!!