Can I really do this at home?

Options
Here the order of operation

I had a gym membership for sometime but I went off and on so lets say I'm not a stranger in the gym
Then I got a treadmill and moved away from my gym so I cancel the membership and I found a 24 hour gym near me that was perfect for my needs....then I started the 30DS and using the treadmill so I haven't really thought about a gym membership until now....I want to include real "strength training" into my workout not just using my 5-10 dumbells but I really like working out at home so easy and I have no excuses...

My question is can I get a real strength training work out at home? How and what do I need? I was thinking kettelbells?? Do I use just my body weight? That doesn't seem enough....but I'm realizing that my body needs more and with cardio with the little toning is not cutting it....PX90???? Please help - thanks:smile:

Replies

• loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help. but am interested in the answers! :smile:
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do it from home, I am in week 10 of P90X, I am getting better results then I ever had with all the hours I spent at the gym. I say try it and see if it's for you.... I am certainly not disappointed with the results! :)
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The " 'Women's Health' Big Book of Exercises" Is a pretty great book for strength training! It gives a ton of strength training exercises, along with stretches warmups etc and what you need for them, along with strength training workouts that just use body weight. I've loved it so far! Jillian michaels videos are pretty great as well, I've gotten some muscle from using her 30 day shred
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you can get a great strength training workout at home with either bodyweight exercises and/or a set of adjustable dumbbells. you can get adjustables that adjust from 5-25, 5-50, or 10-90 (perhaps some other variations as well). get yourself a FID bench (FID = flat/incline/decline) and I recommend trying it out before buying it because you want to make sure it supports you and is stable.

here's a blog I wrote with some HIIT routines....and you might also check out bodyrock.tv for some excellent workouts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/short-and-efficient-work-out-ideas-156906
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I do it from home, I am in week 10 of P90X, I am getting better results then I ever had with all the hours I spent at the gym. I say try it and see if it's for you.... I am certainly not disappointed with the results! :)
    Funny I do have the PX90 but I was or am intimidated......
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I do it at home, I have 5, 8 & 10 lb weights. I have a jumprope and all kinds of small goodies to make my workout complete. It works, I gave up the gym almost a year ago and don't miss it one bit!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells at home and we have a treadmil that I run on. The kettlebells were very inexpensive and came with a decent starter DVD. I have moved past the DVD but there are tons of exercises shown on youtube and I have been working it out myself for now. I am expecting "Enter the Kettlebell" dvd and book for Christmas and am super excited about it.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Funny I do have the PX90 but I was or am intimidated......

No need to be imtimidated. You WILL not regret it.
  • JessicaBoggess
    Options
    My question is does P90X really work?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands, and I love them! They're super cheap and you can get them in a variety of "weights". I have a light and a medium one. They come with a little tab to put in a door hinge so you can push, pull, and lift away.

I met with a trainer to get my routine down but I have used this site as well:
    http://resistancebandworkouts.com/

I have a friend who just adores kettlebells but I have never used them, so I'm no help there.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The secret to P90X is as Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest" it is a work in progress you do not have to jump in doing 40 push-ups at a time.. or curling 50 lbs or doing 20 pull-ups. The key is to do what you can and push a little further on a daily basis.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My question is does P90X really work?

With diet, yes! I have had awesome results with P90X. Commitment is the key, you have to show up 6 days a week and workout.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... funny I have the PX90, rubberband, 5 &10lb weights, bunch of dvds and a treadmill.....sounds like I got what I need at home all I need to do is come up with a plan to add to my cardio - I think I want to get that women's workout book....feel like I should start there - It's decided no gym membership for me - money SAVED!!!! This is why I love MFP - great people and great responses....Thanks everyone!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebell workouts, but, be careful doing them at home, my room with the cement floor only has 7 ft ceilings and they were just too low, I had to stop them for now.

I've been very pleased with P90X. I lost several sizes, but no weight, but I didn't have much to lose. It definitely sculpted my body a way I wasn't getting before. You may also want to look at Insanity, more cardio - if you buy the Deluxe version, you get a strength training for upper body too. I prefer weights over bands, just feel better when I move. I've heard many people happy with the Select Tec byBowflex. Also the P90XPlus have a great weight routine.
  • change_happens
    Options
    You can build muscle at home. I literally transformed my flabby body in a matter of months and I never hit a gym! You can do it! AND.... I started off with an exercise band, moved up to five pound weights and then 10 pound weights. The results were pretty great. (in my personal opinion). When I sent my son my pic he was floored, the change was huge.

It is going to take some commitment on your part. But don't believe that it has to be done in the gym, unless you are trying to build a great amount of muscle mass.

Hope this helps some :)
    (From personal experience and pics to prove it)
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself the trainer. Make a schedule (set a time each day) and SHOW UP. If you were paying a trainer, you would show up (or get the butt chewing). I think you can do it at home, but you have to stay accountable. It is easy to just not do it or not push as hard. Good luck!! You got this.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Every pound I lost, I was working out at home. (Mostly cardio, very LIGHT weight training). My gym membership ran out and I never looked back! :) Good luck
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership in May as I have been using P90x for strength training and Insanity for cardio & circuit training.
    Since I have lost close to 20lbs and am on my final 14.. my stomach is more toned right now then ever.
    Equipment- Yoga mat, push up bars, 2 X10lb weight, 2x 5lb weight and 2X 2lb weights and a resistance band ( as I do not have a place for a chin up bar)

You can totally do it without a gym membership
  • drbaska
    drbaska Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like many people have already said, I too am no longer a gym rat. I did P90X, Insanity, TurboFire and Chalean Extreme. They all work - and you will get the best body of your life!

For strenght training - P90X or Chalean Extreme would be my recommendation. My heaviest weights at home are 15 lbs and that was plenty for me to get strong and defined.

For getting really leaned up, I recommend Insanity or TurboFire. They gave my my abs of steel (:happy: ), and super toned arms and legs. You don't need any equipment to do either of these workouts.

Just as an aside - when you order these workout programs from a Beachbody coach (like me :smile: ), you get bonus workouts and personal coaching - just helps ensure you to stick to it and make the most of your workout program.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ms Mayor! I totally cancelled my gym membership. I have had WAY better results using the 30DS and Ripped and watching my calories with MFP than I EVER had going to the gym regularly (and I really did, I was an elliptical maven). So I figure I'll save the money. :)