Triceps

Options
What is the best way for me to start working on some upper body strength?? I have extremely powerful legs and zero upper body strength, and almost no triceps at all. I have a shoulder injury so dips are not an option at this time...

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Push-ups!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    bent over rows, overhead press, bench press are the big builders. Each one of them (Especially overhead press) puts a strain on the shoulders, though. :/ Maybe tricep push down bar hits shoulder the least.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I injured my shoulder a few months ago doing too many arm exercises, so you're wise to look out for that. :) I know I wasn't able to do pushups very well till my shoulder healed, but I was able to do the exercise where lift your arms above your head and with one hand, grip the opposite elbow (behind your head) and with the other arm use a weight or a band and fold/straighten your arm. Sorry... what a horrible explanation... I wish I knew the exercise name, but I have no idea. It's from the Slim in Six workouts, if you've ever done those. It really helped.
  • zumbalove29
    zumbalove29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds strange but dips are the only thing that seems to bother it badly... Thanks for the help! :-)
  • zumbalove29
    Options
    I do have the slim in 6! Thanks!
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    I have had shoulder injuries too and this is what I use for my triceps.

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/top-10-tricep-exercises_6.html
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    rope cable pull downs. overhead tricep extensions. bench press. incline press. dumbell curls. pushups. pull ups.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    Push-ups!

Exactly!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Pushups / pullups are the best upper body strength builders. Close in positions like military pushups will put more emphasis on your triceps.

As far as the dips I have a shoulder injury, and dips hurt it at first as well. These tips should help you build up your shoulder strength with dips:
    * Use something higher than a chair seat to start out, like maybe the arm of a couch.
    * Start with your legs close to your body so you can use them to take a little weight off your shoulders / arms. Work your way up to your legs being straight out.
    * Stay as close as possible to the chair or whatever you are performing dips on. The further out you get the more strain it puts on your shoulders
  • zumbalove29
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-)