Ideas for getting more veggies in?

Options
I've been buying vegetables, but we still don't seem to eat very many veggies. What are some ways to get more veggies in besides just sitting down and eating a plate full of them (like grabbing baby carrots as a snack etc).

Looking at your diary, it looks like you hardly ever eat a regular home-cooked meal. Is that because you don't have time? It's pretty easy to get your vegetables if you just cook regular meals.

I was off the wagon the last week...to get a better idea of my "normal" diary, you'd be better to look back about 3-4 weeks...not just the last week/few days.

Replies

• alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sneak them into other foods - like adding a pureed cauliflower into your mashed potatoes or shredded zuchinni into spaghetti sauce. Doesn't change the flavor, changes the texture a bit, but it is one way to get more veggies in your meals.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!My daughter makes this with cranberries i found them yo sweet and used prunes instead

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole
    Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries // 100g prunes (my mum recommends this its definitely delicious)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 vegetable stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

Ratatouille
    Serves: 4

1 aubergine
    2 courgettes
    1 yellow pepper
    1 red pepper
    400g tomatos, canned
    3 cloves garlic
    4 g basil, fresh
    2 g parsley, fried
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp olive oil

Chop the veg into fairly chunky pieces and roast with the garlic cloves and oil in oven for 30/40 mins, but keep an eye on them, the cooking time varies depending on how big the pieces are.
    Blend the tomatoes, herbs, vinegar, a few of the roasted vegetables and all the roasted garlic with a hand blender, then put onto a low heat.
    Add the roasted veg and leave to simmer for a while.

116 calories per serving, 5.1g F, 0.6g SF, 19.3g C, 8.0g S, 7.1 Fb, 4.1g P
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    After browsing your diary... maybe you could try adding fresh corn to your salads. Use the search and in the forums you will find a spinach smoothie recipe (maybe called a green monster). Anyway, it is wonderful smoothie and you can't taste the spinach at all. You could also add spinach and mushrooms to your eggs (like an omelet).
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I add kale to my smoothies and for my kids. It looks green but you can't taste it at all and it is so healthy. Soups are great this time of year too. My kids love cold veggies too - so like you said baby carrots (the smaller ones) avacado slices, broccoli, lettuce wraps are healthy and fast and could be kinda like an appetizer if you don't want to do just veggies for lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When I pack a lunch for work I always include a veggie side dish. For dinner I always add some veggie, either on the side, or in the casserole, or whatever.

1. "Chopped Salad" sliced celery, shredded carrots, thawed green peas (measure these .... higher calorie) .... you can substitute thawed french style green beans .... add 2 TBL Light Newman's Sesame Ginger Dressing

2. Sugar free Jello with veggies (Lime or Lemon flavored) with finely diced celery, cabbage, carrots, red peppers. This stays a week in the fridge ... nice low calorie snack

3. Experiment with "slaws." There are many variations that are lower calorie. Asian slaws are good. Think of mixing veggies and fruits. Use yogurt instead of mayo for dressings.

I'll have to keep an eye on this post for more ideas.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Make soup! Vegetable-based soups are delicious and you can incoroporate lots of different types of vegetables into them. Stir fries are good for that as well. I've never believed in sneaking veggies into something or having them as a side; they deserve to be the star of the show!
  • dezil
    dezil Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We do Stir Fry a lot at home! Any veggies that are in the drawer- cut up, and throw some chicken in... and then a little tereaki sauce. All over brown rice- YUM! :0) Good Luck adding veggies!
  • lh12xx
    lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    In Italy, they add carrot to Spag Bol to get more veggies in to the kids! :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I found Martha Stewart's Meatloaf 101 recipe that has grated carrots, celery, parsley, and onions in it. If you chop them finely enough, no one has to know. Do the same with meatballs in spaghetti sauce.

Soups or salads are my vegetable catchalls. Anything in the fridge is fair game! A little ham of chopped beef or chicken in your soup goes a very long way towards flavor but meanwhile everyone is getting veggies!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is a great way to get a lot of veggies in a meal. Soups or stews also. Add chopped greens to sauces. Top steaks or chops with sauted mushrooms and onions. Stuff roasts or thick chops with a bit of cheese and chopped vegetables. Vegetables are so versatile!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it looks like you hardly ever eat a regular home-cooked meal. Is that because you don't have time? It's pretty easy to get your vegetables if you just cook regular meals.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

I was off the wagon the last week...to get a better idea of my "normal" diary, you'd be better to look back about 3-4 weeks...not just the last week/few days.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Two cookbooks that you can get on amazon.com - The sneaky chef and Deceptively delicious - they cost anywhere from .50 used to 13.00 new. I have the sneaky chef and its amazing what you can put in these recipes and not taste them.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I went back a whole month and it looks like you mostly eat sandwiches, salads, and fast food. I'm just not seeing a lot of times when you have something like baked chicken, broccoli, and mashed potatoes for instance. People are suggesting all these different recipes but are you actually going to cook anything?
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Home made spaghetti sauce is excellent for hiding all kinds of veggies. I blender some carrots, celery and anything I can think of and add it to the sauce. The family can't even tell they are in there. I usually start with some canned tomatoes (blenderized) olive oil, fresh garlic and whatever spices I throw in. Taste it and add whatever else you think is missing.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Home made spaghetti sauce is excellent for hiding all kinds of veggies. I blender some carrots, celery and anything I can think of and add it to the sauce. The family can't even tell they are in there. I usually start with some canned tomatoes (blenderized) olive oil, fresh garlic and whatever spices I throw in. Taste it and add whatever else you think is missing.

lol blenderized. I like that word.
  • Nsj0810
    Options
    If you don't cook (I don't), you can still find a lot of convenience foods with veggies. There are a lot of steam in the bag options that have veggies with sauces or pasta or various meats. They are easy and fast. You may have to watch sodium levels and, of course calories. I sometimes add extra frozen vegetables to convenience entrees just to get more vegetables in. Or I have individual microwaveable veggies along with a Lean Pocket or other convenience food.

As others have mentioned, you can also puree vegetables and add them to sauces or recipes to hide them. (Baby food is an easy, though not super cheap, way of doing this.). I also add vegetables to jarred spaghetti sauce. I make a huge batch and freeze it.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Eat veggies (or fruit) with every meal! I always try to make half my plate at dinner vegetables, like so: http://www.diabetes.org.nz/food_and_nutrition/ideal_plate and make sure to include several servings with my lunch, in the form of a salad or cut vegetables.

It can be pretty easy if you keep frozen on hand, they come in lots of varieties and preparations
    Diced vegetables can be added to jarred pasta sauce, ground beef for tacos, burgers and meatloaf, tuna/chicken/egg salad, chili, everything
    Even prepared frozen entrees like stir fries can benefit from extra veggies... I like to add at minimum a can of baby corn and water chestnuts
    Try sliced cucumber, tomato and alfalfa sprouts on sandwiches or in wraps
    When I have breakfast for dinner I still try to include a fruit or vegetable like berries or apple slices.
    Try salads for dinner/lunch with boiled egg or shredded grilled chicken and a bit of cheese on top
    There are a million types of pre washed and mixed salads... spinach, romaine, or spring mix salads; broccoli, carrot or cabbage slaw