changing my strap battery for my HRM

Options
Hi, I have my Polar FT 40 HRM and I've used it so much that the strap battery has died. I bought this one because it has the self change battery but I can't seem to open it. I've tried coins but its starting to strip it. Has anyone managed to change this battery? Any tips to get it open and not ruin the back?

Replies

• mrsimon302
    mrsimon302 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i stripped mine with a coin too, then i tried using a spoon and that done the trick lol
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Hi. First, I just wanted to let you know that I work for Polar. Make sure that you have a larger coin like a quarter. Push down and turn it. Sometimes they can be a bit stubborn. If you cannot get it open or it strips, it will be covered under warranty. So give it a good try.
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yep, the handle end of a fork did it for me! LOL!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I have the FT60 and am waiting for the battery to die. How long do they usually last?? I use it about 6 days a week for about an hour or so a day and have had it for about 6+ months now.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Its hard to say exactly how long the battery in the watch will last. It also depends on how many functions you have on in the watch. Average is probably about 9-14 months, but it could be longer or shorter. It also depends on if the watch was off when you bought it. They all come in SLEEP mode to save the battery, but some retailers turn it on in the store and the battery starts wearing at that time. In sleep mode they battery doesn't start wearing until YOU start it.....
  • mrsimon302
    Options
    i have a polar strap that has recently sort of stopped working like it used to. now, when i start my exercise, the readout is about 215 bpm and as i sweat it slowly lowers to the correct value (i hope) sometimes not transmitting at all. this is with a new battery too. any ideas?
  • mrsimon302
    Options
    *i used the curved end of the spoon lol, fit better in the groove
  • yeroc39
    Options
    It sounds like its a contact issue. If the transmitter does not have a good connection, it will start out higher and then come down once good contact is made. That typically happens once you start to sweat. That is why we recommend that people wet their transmitter strap at the two electrodes points before putting it on. Do you wet the transmitter.......
  • mrsimon302
    Options
    i have before but i'm not sure just how much to wet it, tho i guess with the amount i sweat it probably can withstand a good dunking in the sink. i just never noticed it needing much moisture to get going when it was new.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Yes you can dunk that. All of our products are water-resistant. Over time those contact areas can wear and may require a little more moisture to get them started. After a while you may need to replace the cloth strap area. I assume you have the transmitter with the clip on electronic piece? And how long have you had it?
  • mrsimon302
    Options
    thats correct. and i've had it since april of 2010. thats good info about the contacts on the strap, i had wondered if it were the strap or the clip-on transmitter.