Calling all moms of 2 or more kids, 3 and under

Options
I have a 2 year old and 6 month old. They are just starting to nap at the same time for about 45 minutes-2 hours in the afternoon. HALLELUJAH!!

What types of things do you for exercise and working out? What do you do if one or both kids wake up during your work out?

I just bought a double jogging stroller and have been power walking a little bit, but we do not get very far into the walk before we need a break due to a diaper change or melt down. I am realizing I cannot rely on power walking with the kids for my sole means of exercise. I am about to buy Turbofire and take on that big and exciting challenge. Then whatever power walking I get in with the kids will be helpful.

I just wanted to hear some ideas of how you get in a GOOD workout.
Thanks!!

Replies

• amkelley
    Options
    I have a 3 year old, an almost 2 year old, and a 4 month old. I never had lost my pregnancy weight from my first when I got pregnant with my second. I lost all my weight after my 2nd son by walking with my double stroller and counting calories. At first they whined and threw fits in the stroller, but I would keep going for at least 30 minutes, most of the time I would walk for an hour in the morning and then sometimes 30-45 minutes in the afternoon. My goal was just once a day, but in the summer time I did 2 walks a lot. This last time I lost a lot of weight just deliverying, but Im still not down to where I was. I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred almost every single day when 1 or more of my kids are sleeping, but sometimes they just play around me while I do the video or they "workout" with me. I also try to walk as much as possible, weather permitting these days!! I have a treadmill but its not my favorite. My 3 and 1 year olds love to dance too, so on a rainy day I will do my video and then try to dance with the kids for 20 minutes or so just for the extra cardio! Feel free to friend me if you want!!
  • ck1rugger
    Options
    Honestly,
    I tried at the house to work out and something always interrupted me. I made it a priority to work out when the kids went to bed, so walk at night, join a gym. I liked the Jillian Michaels 30 minute workouts as well. Good luck!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a almost 4 year old and 9 month old! when the weather was nicer and daylight lasted longer, I would leave them with their dad in the evenings and go for a run. now that its colder out, I will be refocusing on weight training. I won't waste money on a gym membership, so my exercise has to happen in my small living room, if not outside! Basically you need to find something you like! I am sick of jillian for a while, so I am just going my own circuit training.
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sorry double post
  • beccahansen
    Options
    My daughter just turned 4 last month, and my baby boy is now 10 weeks old. I've found the easiest fastest best results workout ever that's only 20ish minutes long. I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I just stick my baby in the swing and he'll either fall asleep or just be content, and let my daughter watch cartoons in another room, or color, or somehow keep her occupied. And since it's only 20 minutes, it's over before you know it and the kiddos are happy in the meantime. You should check out before and after pics on the forums here of others doing 30 day shred, they're AMAZING!!! awesome results super fast :)
  • yad97
    yad97 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have 3 little ones and I started my fitness journey in August. I live on a farm and don't have the ability to go to a gym, nor do we have great roads to run/walk on. So - we invested in a nice elliptical for cardio and I have been focused on using Jillian Michael's dvds 5-6 days per week. I started with 30 Day Shred and the workouts are under 30 minutes (including warm-up and cool down) so you could actually do it during naps! I've also done Ripped in 30 and am currently doing Killer Buns and Thighs. I personally wake up at 5:30 with hopes to get in my workout before anyone wakes because naps don't always overlap.

Adding the strength training element has made all the difference in my body. I needed to really sweat! It is hard when you sacrifice doing other things, but it is so worth it! Best of luck!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old. I am seriously thinking about buying a trailer and a bike and doing some cycling but I have to wait until warmer weather. If you have a 2 story house you can jog up and down the stairs. I do that often. I also really enjoy going for walks with them in the double stroller. When the baby was 6 months we could never go very long but when she hit 8-12 months she really started to enjoy the stroller rides. Now she asks to go everyday.
  • mbw2586
    Options
    When I'm at home with my kids (3 and 1), and they're awake, I let them "join in" while I use exercise dvds. They think I'm hilarious when doing Tae Bo and they do their own little versions. Sometimes I have to pause and restart, sometimes they get in my way, sometimes I use the baby to my advantage when I can.

It's not ideal, but if I can accomplish 40 minutes of high intensity exercise in my living room with 2 kids gated in (sometimes the playpen will be used), then anyone can get it in - even if you have to break it up.

If you don't have exercise dvds but have cable with free on-demand, there are tons of GREAT workouts there as well. Or I have used my laptop before to find free exercises online. Having "dance parties" with your older kids is fun, quick little way to raise your heart rate. Good luck!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Mine are 4.5, 2.5, and 1.5....when it was nicer out we walked A LOT...yes my 4 yr old walked WITH me..Hes a trooper!! (we did a 4 mile mapped out route). Now the weather isnt' great, I do my workouts at night (after 10pm) when everyone is sleeping. We bought a treadmill and put it in front of the TV I LOVE it!! :) I also have cardio workout DVD's, but can't get into them.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! My son turned 2 in July. My daughter turns 1 next week. They are only 16 months apart. The one thing that I am thankful for, is that I stay at home with them right now and aside from school work (in college part time) I have the free time to be with them, and try to work out. It is possible, but trust me I make excuses all the time. I hate that when they nap I have to choose between quiet time to myself with a cup of coffee relaxing, or cleaning the house because LORD knows it needs it, or working out. I wish they napped long enough for me to do all three! LOL

I go on walks with my kids when the weather is nice we live in Ohio so I only get about May-September to go on walks. What I learned from that is, have a halfway point where you can stop, let them out and play, and give them a snack and a sippy cup, etc. The halfway point for me is my parent's house 1.4 miles away. We walk there, then rest, then turn around and walk back so its almost a 3 mile walk which is nice. I know what you mean about the meltdowns and such, but don't let that phase you, just keep trying. The other thing I do for walking is taking them to the park and pushing the stroller around the park a couple times. Our park has big hills and it is such a good work out. Then when the kids get fussy, we stop at the playground and I let them swing and stuff. We have a snack, then I push them in the stroller back to the car. It is really nice, and the best part is, if a meltdown happens, I'm not far from the car and we can just head home (vs. walking 2 miles back home with screaming kids).

As far as working out when they nap I have a biggest loser dvd it has the option to do 20, 30, or 40 minutes. I usually put it in once I know they are good and asleep and just go for it. If they wake up and aren't screaming or crying I just let them play in their room/crib until I'm done. If they need me right away then I just go get them, and stop the work out. I also have a step aerobics dvd with the 6 inch step, but that is a little longer and a little more noisy so I don't usually do it as often.

The one thing I tried that worked out nicely was getting up before the kids, and working out. I had to set my alarm and get up at 6, but I had time to work out, and eat breakfast and drink coffee and the house was quiet and it was so nice. BUT I've only done that about 3 times, because it is SO hard for me to get up early just to work out. Ugh. I hate it. One other thing I have done, is work out later at night after I've put the kids in bed. I also didn't like this as much, but usually the early morning or late night work outs are easier to get through since the kids are sleeping more soundly than during a nap.

GOOD LUCK!
  • javajunkee
    Options
    I love hearing what you all do to work out and how you make it work. VERY encouraging! I love your ideas. :)
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have two little ones at home too. It's so hard to schedule around them sometimes. Even when you think they're on a schedule. I have really loved Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer. All the workouts are broken down into 10 min segments: cardio, lower body, abs, total body, etc. I can definitely fit a 10 min workout in. And, if you have extra time, just do more than one. You might not think 10 min will do anything, but believe me, it works you. He combines multiple moves in one. It works you. Anyways, that's how I've managed unpredictable kids and no time.
  • acdcrclc
    acdcrclc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine never nap at the same time, so I haven't been able to make use of nap time for workouts.
    I take mine for walks when the weather is good, but really, that's not most of the year.
    Also, it's impossible to workout with them in the same room because they want to be right on top of me and it's just too dangerous with flying weights and limbs.
    So, this is what I do: I trap them in the living room with some gates and put on a Disney movie and/or give them a toy that they haven't seen in a while. I work out in another room for 20-40 minutes. I'm close enough to them so I can hear what's going on and I can easily peek if I need to.
    I give them a lot of attention during the day and don't generally use the TV as a babysitter, so I don't feel bad at all about doing this. It's really a short amount of time, and they don't even seem to notice.
    I wish I had started doing it sooner because it feels so great to be exercising again, and it's made a huge difference in my body shape.