Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Call dibs on the entire turkey.
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    take something tp the meal you know you can eat. honestly skinnytaste.com has become my new best friend. She has a ton of thanksgiving recipes for half the calories.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I plan on using full-fat everything for maximum deliciousness. Then I am going to back the food truck right up to my plate and eat until I am sick.

I traditionally go riding in the morning. But Thanksgiving is supposed to be a feast and I don't plan on dietizing it. I will enjoy every morsel and have not one iota of guilt about it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Move to Mexico?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is not a day I worry about. Really, among the typical foods offered, there are many good choices. If you cook yourself, you control what you make--check out Cooking LIght magazine or website for recipes. If you are a guest, just plan to take larger portions of low-cal options and just a taste of the higher cal options. Serve yourself the higher calorie options using a heaping tablespoon (the eating utensil kind, not the measuring kind)--that will give you a nice taste of about 1/8-1/4 cup.

Lower cal:

turkey
    turkey gravy
    any roasted, baked, grilled (not candied marshmallow type) veggies
    salad (take dressing on the side)
    cranberry sauce

Typically higher cal, but still not bad in small portions (take a heaping tablespoon -- that 's about 1/4 cup):

mashed potatoes
    stuffing / dressing
    candied sweet potatoes
    green bean casserole (if you must, ugh)
    ambrosia fruit salad

Of course the desserts can be a downfall. This is where you take a small piece of pie (meaning 1/16 of the pie), skip the whipped cream. Pumpkin or squash can be a good option, or a fruit pie. Pecan is much higher calorie, but if you want it, take just a small piece.

It's only one day, and if you're not cooking you'll have time to get in a nice run, bike ride, or workout before dinner, right?

Enjoy the day.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Don't choke on a bone. You should live to see the next day.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    as long as your not dressed like a turkey you should make it out ok
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Don't choke on a bone. You should live to see the next day.

I agree. Deep-throating a turkey leg doesn't sound safe. Start with a wing.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Make it one meal on one day. Not a weekend long event.
    exactly.

That's my plan for it! One day. The weekend will be logged. How many calories do you burn Black Friday shopping.....?

I hadn't even thought of black friday shopping....definitely gets my adrenaline going, lol...maybe I'll wear my hrm? haha

If you seriously do wear your heartrate monitor, I'd love to know what it said. I know it'd be different for me at a different weight and all but I'd be really curious.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I plan to use it as my spike day. The next day back on track .
  • DRD0892
    Options
    My plan: Make a plate with tiny amounts of everything I want to try. If still hungry go back for a little more of that specific item. I will try not to eat huge quantities of anything and drink lots of water .
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I'm with MrsCon on this one. I plan on stuffing my face like I usually would on Thanksgiving and not feeling guilty. It comes around once a year, I'm not going to waste it worrying about what to eat or not to eat.
  • magcole
    Options
    Exercise before -- drink water - and have a healthy snack so you don't arrive "starvin'." Avoid the dessert table like the plague!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We are planning on working out that morning and taking the dog for a walk after we eat and we will try to bring others with us. Walking for about 15 minutes after eating gives the metabolism a nice boost.

Also, we are vegan, so I am bringing a lot of my own food. We are not planning on depriving ourselves of anything. I would say, don't either, but you are just starting so you don't want to go completely off the wagon. Eat a very light breakfast, bring some low cal snacks to help if there are appetizers.

But, do enjoy yourself, moderation, and excercise you should be fine.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I have a big food-event, I save calories from the previous day and borrow from the following day. It's thanksgiving. If I was going to be in the USA for Thanksgiving this year, you'd better believe I'd be stuffing my face at the dinner table and also tasting all the pies! It's ONE meal on ONE day of the week.
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find that it's never really the thanksgiving food that dooms folks it's the overeating and making a glutton of ourselves. As everyone has said stuffing your face with turkey is okay, veggies and even some sweet potato (try and stay away from the marshmallows on top) but ya gotta ask yourself, do you really need to have one of everything on the dessert side of the table? Follow that up by how your going to feel the next day, regretting you ate 3 pieces of pecan pie, 2 servings of cherry cobbler and lord knows what else lol.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am planning on running a nice long run that morning and eating whatever I want!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im not going to log ny food that day. Its time to enjoy the time you have with family and friends. But im going to eat turkey, squash, gravy, spuds and a piece of pie.. and some veggies... lits of water and also a glass of wine.....
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make candied yams with marshmallows on top. It's my once-a-year love. :love: I just discovered a less caloric way of preparing them that tastes just as yummy!

I might just eat just that and turkey on Thanksgiving! And Water, no milk, no pie, no cookies, no creamy casserole. And maybe some mashed pototoes.... :wink:
  • TRIMoses59
    TRIMoses59 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have planned my meal ahead of time with my family. We are having something for everyone! I have this plate that is slightly bigger than a saucer but smaller than a regular plate. I wil put a little of the things I like in it and be done when I do. I am using throw away containers so I will not be living in the kitchen and nibbling as I go. I have volunteers to be my tasters for the day and will add 100 extra tasting calories to my daily menu just in case. Will drink water all day long and walk like crazy after I eat. Will do the same thing for Christmas.