Trying to break through the plateau

Options
I have been doing good on wieght loss and since January have lost 30 pounds, but now I have been stuck in this same wieght range for almost two months and I am not able to get over this hurdle. I am trying to loose and additional 15-20lbs and then I will be happier with my weight and more self confident... any ideas on how to break through this stand still would help me greatly!!!

Replies

• Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know you'll think I'm crazy but this works for me everytime. Whenever I hit a plateau I eat like a hog. seriously. i count my calories but I just eat whatever i want in whatever quantity I want for a whole day. This spikes my metabolism to really get to pumping. You may think it will ruin you but it won't. Like I said it worked for me every time. Still does.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You might want to open your food diary.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Some strength training could help.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    It depends. There may be a number of factors. You may want intensify your workout, reduce your sodium intake, change up your strength training routine. It could be a number of things.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the strength training. More muscle burns more calories. :) Good luck!
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Go to maintenance calories for 2-3 weeks then back down to losing weight calories.
  • Evelia1439
    Evelia1439 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of ice cream! change you workouts. This always helps me. good luck :)
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    A big caloric increase is a good way to break through...for a day or two is all it takes. You might gain a pound back, but then you'll turn around and see a large loss again. Works for me every time.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein (one gram per pound of body weight but no more than 175 grams a day) and maybe give your body a break and do a re-feed. Increase your calories to maintenance mode for up to a couple of weeks to give your body a break and allow it to recover a bit. I just came off of one and it really helped me out. I didn't binge and it took a while for me to be able to eat that many calories again but my body needed the fuel and some rest. I just headed back into weight loss mode yesterday so hopefully it paid off but I think it will. Also make sure you're doing plenty of strength training and not too much cardio.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing your short term calories. Also increase your water intake too. I've lost 33 pounds and whenever my loss slows down I drink about 4-8 more cups of water every day for about a week and the weight slowly starts to come off again.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I so understand, cause im there too. I haven't lost in little over a month. I heard that drink lits of water....
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was in a weight loss competition the beginning of this year, and also got stuck for 3 weeks straight before the challenge ended. I took a break from working out for a few days, watched my sodium super close and drank TONS of water! But the day of the challenge I was down 54 more pounds and it just kept coming off from there. Good Luck, changing your regular workout to one your not used to will help too. They say switching back and forth from strenght training to cardio works too. I personally don't like strength training much, but it might work for you! Good Luck!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Go to maintenance calories for 2-3 weeks then back down to losing weight calories.

I agree with this one...healthy, and will give you the jump start you need. It's exactly what I do!
  • alexis92
    Options
    I'm in the same position! These suggestions sound really good, thanks for posting this!
  • amiemclean
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have heard that I should try to up my calories for a little bit and then go back to usual to try and "trick" my body... I think I will try this. I am not getting much of a workout right now, it seems like I can never find the time for it. I work 12 hours shifts and then I am in school also 2 days a week, so I am pretty wiped out when it is all said and done, but I know I need to add some more work outs instead of just doing it sporadically.
  • GodWithUs777
    GodWithUs777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey There!

I was stuck at 180 for the longest, and I am also fairly new to My Fitness Pal, but a couple things my boss told me (who is in great shape and used to be a fitness trainer) helped get me back on my weight loss plan. He told me to watch my fat calorie intake. Take your fat calories down to 20% of your total calorie intake, rather than the 30% the Fitness Pal defaults to, and your body will be forced to seek that remaining 10% fat stored in your body to digest. I've lost 2 pounds in the past 4 days making that adjustment. (Ex. Eating 1200 Cals; 20% of that is 240Cals/27grams of fat you can eat)

Also, like many have suggested, the strength training really does work to your benefit, replacing that fat with toned muscle. The process burns so many more calories! :)

Pray you have awesome victory in moving closer to your weight goals!