It's Winter - I need stew & chili recipes!

Options
Amber82479
Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
Anyone have fairly healthy versions of stew and/or chili recipes they'd care to share? I'm itching to make a big batch of each and looking for some tried and true versions :)

Replies

• GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had ribolitta?
  • DebsFernandez
    Options
    Bump.

I would also like to know this. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Every time I make chili, I start out with what I call my "base." I use this for soups also. I put half a pound of baby carrots, one colored pepper, one green pepper, and an onion in a food processor. I then saute in a little oil, and then add the rest of my ingredients. For chili, I add a can of rotel tomatoes, a can of no salt added tomato sauce, a can of chili beans, and a can of rinsed pinto or white beans. Then I add seasonings (garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and most importantly-a dash of cinnamon). I don't usually put meat in my chili, but if I do, I brown and rinse it first.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know this. Also please include the nutritional info. especially sodium.
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of Paleo chili every weekend! No beans, just meat and veggies. I saute a whole chopped onion & a couple cloves of garlic in olive or coconut oil. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, I brown a couple pounds of ground beef, pork or whatever meat you like. After the onions & garlic have started to become translucent, I dump in a big pile of sliced mushrooms, juliened carrots, sometimes a sliced zucchini, chopped red pepper etc. Cook that down till veggies are getting soft. Add 2 big cans of crushed tomatoes and a smaller can of tomatoes with chilies. Add the meat to the pot. Add whatever spices you like chili powder, crushed red pepper, cumin, mexican seasonings etc. and let the whole thing simmer for a couple hours. So, so good!! I have been living on this chili since starting Paleo and my husband likes it too!

Good luck!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe this past weekend and it's AWESOME!! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just made Turkey Chili last night. It is my FAVORITE fall/winter food. I make a big batch in the crock pot and then freeze half so I have it on busy nights. ps...I like mine very spicy, so you can adjust the heat or use regular tomatoes instead of rotel hot.

*This can be made stove top or in a crock pot.

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:
    Butterball - Ground Turkey Meat 93/7 Lean 1 container (20 oz ea.)
    Kroger - Tomato Sauce 15 oz, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Rotel - Diced Tomatoes - Extra Hot, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Kidney Beans - Dark Red - Per Can, 2 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Black Beans - 15oz Can, 1 container (1 4/5 cup (129g) ea.)
    Onions - 1 medium (2-1/2" dia) (chopped)
    Garlic - 6 cloves (minced)
    Jalepenos- 2 whole ( remove seeds for less heat)
    Spices - Chili powder, 8 tbsp
    Mccormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix - Dry Chili Seasoning Mix, 1 container

Cooking Instructions:

1.) Add all ingredients to crock pot except turkey meat, jalapenos, onion and garlic.

2.) In a saute pan, brown the turkey meat. Add cooked meat to crock pot.

3.) In saute pan, cook onions and jalapenos until soft, adding garlic for last 2 minutes.

4.) Add the cooked vegetables to the crock pot.

5.) Cook on med/low for 4 hours (the longer it cooks, the better the flavor).

I top mine with low fat Weight Watchers Mexican cheese blend, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream. (not included in nutritional info)

Nutritional info Per Serving: Calories: 211 Carbs: 28 Fat: 5 Protein: 17 Sugar:7 Sodium: 874
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Chili con Carne - http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-chili-con-carne.html
    Loaded Baked Potato Soup - http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-loaded-baked-potato-soup.html
    Spaghetti Sauce - http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/2011/06/crockpot-spaghetti-sauce.html

Alternatively, for stews/soups:

Throw a bunch of meat and/or vegetables into a crock pot. Add liquid (water, broth, tomato sauce, etc). Throw in some random spices, if you're adventurous; favorite spices, if you're not. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve.
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The Taco Soup I made with some substitutions is more of a chili- first the recipe as I copied from a post here- then my substitutions:

This is a crockpot recipe. I use all low sodium stuff and ground turkey and it is so delicous!

1cn white corn
    1cn black beans
    1cn kidney beans
    1cn ff pinto beans
    1cn diced tomatoes
    1cn rotel
    1 to 1 1/2 lean ground beef (or turkey)
    1 packet taco seasoning

1bag ff cheddar and ff sour cream if you like for topping

brown meat in skillet. Then add all cans including liquid in crock pot, add meant and seasoning, stir well. Cook on low up to 8 hrs. Top w/ cheese and or sour cream and serve in bowls

MY SUBSTITUTIONS: To avoid all the sodium from the canned beans, I used dried 9 bean soup mixture- let them soak for a few hours, then added them to the crock pot with 2 small cans of rotel, a can of corn, large can of diced tomatoes, packet of low sodium taco seasoning, and a large can of white meat chicken. It was very thick- like "stewp" as Rachel Ray calls it- I added chicken broth and some water- cooked it 8- 10 hours overnight and topped it with low fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese. On a cold day- it is awesome! Nutrition values-

Number of servings- approx 24 1 to 2 C servings

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Henry's Marketplace - 10-Bean Soup Mix (Dry), 1 container (4 cups ea.) 1,600 368 0 112 160 160
    Libby's - Whole Kernel Sweet Corn-Canned, 1 3/4 cup 210 32 5 7 700 7
    Furmano's - Petite Diced Tomatos, 7 cup 350 70 0 14 1,750 14
    Rotel - Diced Tomatoes W/ Green Chilis, 2 can 338 8 0 0 1,040 2
    Old El Paso - Original - Taco Seasoning Mix Packet (28g) , 1 container (12 tsp (5g) ea.) 90 18 0 0 2,220 2
    Fresh Vegetable - Sweet Onion, 0.25 of Medium size 15 4 0 0 3 1
    College Inn - Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth, 1.75 cup 9 0 0 2 788 0
    Valley Fresh - 100% Natural White Chicken In Water 97% Fat Free (12.5oz Can), 1 container (9 oz draineds ea.) 315 0 9 54 810 0
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 2927 500 14 189 7471 186
    Per Serving: 122 21 1 8 311 8
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i made some chile colorado or mexican chile con carne last week for my boyfriend

1-2 pounds pork butt or beef roast seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper.
    4 dried pasilla chiles
    5 guajillo chiles
    3 chile de arbol (optional for spice)
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 onion
    2 cups beef stock
    kosher salt
    1 tsp cumin
    4 tbsp tomato paste

2 tbsp corn starch mixed with a little water to make a slurry

boil chiles, onion and garlic until chiles are soft in about a cup of water. once they are soft put them in a blender with the tomato paste, onion, garlic, cumin, about 2 tbsp salt, and beef stock and blend until smooth, you can put them through a strainer to get any chunks out. then put the seasoned pork and the pureed mixture in a crock pot, set on low and let it all cook overnight. then take out the meat, and shred it, mix it back in with the sauce, taste and add more salt if you like, add in cornstarch slurry, then let it sit for about 2 more hours then serve! i will add cooked cactus in this but i you can serve with tortillas or beans.....

one of my fav mexican dishes!!!!!!!! well, used to be when i ate meat haha
  • ascrabblecat
    Options
    Check out the website http://www.skinnytaste.com/. Gina has lots of lean turkey chilis recipes listed. I have tried several of her recipes, chili or no, and have not yet been disappointed! :)

I hope this helps and good luck with your search!

~S.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks to those who have posted recipies or links.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I make my Mum's beef stew all winter; it simmers on the back burner all day and makes the house smell wonderful.

I use a 2 pound beef shoulder or some other very inexpensive roast; don't buy 'stewing beef' its rubbish. Cut the meat up into 1 inch cubes and mince 1 large onion, 3-4 ribs of celery or half a large pared celeric. Slice 3-4 carrots (approximately 2 cups of ea veg- but don't be precious about it) and/or parsnips if they look good in the shop. Heat 2 tbls of good olive olive and sweat out the vegetables until softened. Pull out the veg and set aside. As a bit of oil if needed and brown the meat in batches; no flour needed.
    Once the meat is brown deglaze the pan with a bit of beef stock, scraping up the brown bits; stock in a box is perfect for this, or use no sodium broth. Add the meat and veg back in along with about a quart of liquid (broth or water) to just cover. Turn to low and simmer with the lid on the pot. Let cook 3-4 hours, or on very low all day. Ninety minutes before dinner pare and cube 3-4 large russet potatoes. Add to the pot and stir; simmer until potatoes are tender. Just before serving take the lid off and raise the heat to reduce the liquid and thicken slightly.

This makes 4-6 servings and freezes well.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic everyone, thanks so much and keep em coming! I'm a huge fan of making several different soups/stews and freezing as grab and go meals for the winter :)
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    This is my husband's Heineken Sweet Potato Stew. It's an all time favourite in our house!

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/heineken-sweet-potato-stew-draft.html

- Nutritional Info (per cup) -

Calories - 202 Fat - 7 Carbs - 11 Protein - 14 Iron - 10 Fibre - 1
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    bump