Need Help with Loose Skin!

I have never posted on MFP before but have enjoyed the stories and have gotten a lot of inspiration from the posts on this site. I try to log all my calories and exercise onto it.

I have one issue I'd really like to get some help with:

I have lost 80 pounds since December and have about 100 left to go. I have a lot of loose skin on my arms, belly and legs. How do you deal with it? I am really worried about what I'm going to look like when I'm done. Any input you could give me would be great!

Replies

• LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Not much you can do other than some toning exercises which help some. Other than that I say let it hang, or invest in some compression garments if it bothers you badly enough.
  • kelsbeckins
    kelsbeckins Posts: 26 Member
    I found this website. I haven't tried any of the exercises, but hope it helps! http://www.livestrong.com/article/426580-exercises-to-tighten-your-body-after-weight-loss/
  • BUMP
  • lumilowlander
    lumilowlander Posts: 21 Member
    The only thing I can say is that you lost the weight too quickly. [Not that that's a bad thing] If you give it time some of it will shrink, but you may have to resort to skin removal surgery for what doesn't.

I will also say that I think massage helps a little.
  • Hi

Have you seen this article?
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/diane-carbonell/truth-about-excess-skin

I'll bet you are looking amazing!

Hold your head high.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    I know it is far for now, but as you lose the layers of fat, the skin adheres to the muscles and slowly stops hanging, it takes a while, but if you keep pushing, that's one of the final rewards.

If you only follow a diet, I would advise to add some workouts 3/4 times a week to help with that
  • Water! Drink plenty of water and it'll help improve the elasticity in your skin. Also I suppose a firming cream can't hurt. I haven't tried any but I hear that pretty much no matter what kind you get, as long as you massage the area very well you'll get some kind of improvement. It just takes a while. Good luck!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Years ago I went to Weight Watchers and my leader had lost well over 100 pounds and kept it off. She told us to use moisturizer everyday - everywhere. And after a shower to gently pat dry and not to rub. She said over time her skin tightened up on its own. But it took about double the time as it took to lose the weight. She didn't end up needing surgery, and she looked fabulous when I met her. I'm hoping she was right and it will tighten on its own.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    HI- in the same boat. Have lost 125 lbs...and then gained 80 with first preg and lost, and then gained 50 with second-- trying to lose now. I have some key advice i wish someone had told me.

1. Dry Skin Brushing....google it and do it!!
    2. MOISTURIZE like crazy. I used gold bond intense healing with vitamins...it helps.
    3. WEIGHT TRAIN--HEAVY WEIGHTS.
    4. DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY...water really really helps.
    5. Dont take hot hot showers..and dont shower for tooo long.

this will help...tons.
  • redefiningmyself
    Years ago I went to Weight Watchers and my leader had lost well over 100 pounds and kept it off. She told us to use moisturizer everyday - everywhere. And after a shower to gently pat dry and not to rub. She said over time her skin tightened up on its own. But it took about double the time as it took to lose the weight. She didn't end up needing surgery, and she looked fabulous when I met her. I'm hoping she was right and it will tighten on its own.
  • SonicaBE
    HI- in the same boat. Have lost 125 lbs...and then gained 80 with first preg and lost, and then gained 50 with second-- trying to lose now. I have some key advice i wish someone had told me.

2. MOISTURIZE like crazy. I used gold bond intense healing with vitamins...it helps.

this will help...tons.
  • redefiningmyself
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.
  • redefiningmyself
  • SonicaBE

5. Dont take hot hot showers..and dont shower for tooo long.:smile:

this will help...tons.
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.
  • SonicaBE

this will help...tons.