Is it ok to exercise in compression stockings??

Options
i don't mean just walking, but hard workouts at the gym.

Also I would appreciate any links you could offer on this topic.

Please only comment if this is something you actually know about as I don't want to be confused by opinions that aren't based on knowledge and education.
(I don't mean to be rude, but often people comment when they don't know and it can be dangerous)

I will be speaking with my doctor about it at some point, but will have to wait for now.

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research on this. I'm a runner, and was wondering if it was something that was going to work for me. I bought them for recovery after long runs, but thought I'd give it a try on a shorter run this last week. I am in love. My feet and calves felt awesome after the run. No tightness, nothing. They are safe to work out in, but I think it depends on your objective. Give it a try on a shorter workout and see what you think. It's supposed to improve circulation, and I haven't read anything harmful but I've read all runners stuff, not other general workout material. Hope that helps.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have vericose veins and 4 years ago had surgery for them (they were extremely painful). Leading up to the surgery, for 8 months, I wore thigh high compression stockings every day, including when I worked out. I would run, lift and generally sweat like crazy wearing them. I made sure to wash them after doing this (they got pretty grungy). The only problem I found is I had to wear spandex shorts when running so my inner thighes wouldn't chafe. After the surgery, I was told that I didn't have to wear the stockings, except if I'm going to be on my feet all day, doing high impact work outs or sitting in confined spaces for a while, like on planes. So, when I run, I wear my thigh high compression stocking on my leg. It takes some getting used to and can be hot in the summer, but it is worth it to continue running and not be in pain. PM me if you'd like to know more.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers. That's helpful to me to hear from people who wear them to work out. :)