Question to those from the U.K., it's a history question.

Options
Hello everyone! I have a question for you. I am doing a paper on the American Revolution for my History class. My problem is I am having a hard time finding Britain's point of view on the subject. Seeing as you were probably taught your counties point of view, just as I was taught mine, I was wondering if you could give me a general rundown of why this war happened?

I do ask that you do not bad mouth my country, just as I would not bad mouth yours. I believe both sides were to blame for this war and am Just asking for the information you were taught in school.

Thanks for your time it is appreciated!

Replies

• ChicagoSammo
    Options
    I wasn't a history major at college but certainly from general high school history our school was taught nothing about the American Revoultion apart from the very very basics.
    We tended to spend more of our time on the Battle of Trafalgar, Waterloo, WW1 and WW2 etc.
  • ajfranzen77
    Options
    What was you very basic though? That's what I'm trying to get, because I'm sure what I was taught was not the same view you were taught.

Thanks again!
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't get any teaching on the American Revolution - mine was mostly medieval history and the industrial revolution.

My understanding is that one side wanted to rule themselves and not stay under the control of the British Government - the rest were happy to stay under Brit rule - hence the big fisticuffs!

Thats really the middle and both ends of my knowledge (and I'm probably wrong anyway).....sorry! (please don't tell me sister in law if I'm wrong - she'll beat me with rhubarb being an American chickie)