Skim Milk - 12g of sugar?

Options
Hello,

Trying to maintain a high protein intake but reduce my sugar intake at the same time.

I drink a fair amount of skim milk on a daily basis but it's loaded with sugar, are there any alternatives to drinking milk that will still give me the high protein I'm looking for? Protein powder is the only alternative I can think of but I don't want to use it a lot.

** I hate cottage cheese I'm not forcing that awful crap down my throat for anyone that is going to list it in on here **

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the sugar in the milk is lactose, if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic then you don't have to worry about sugar or the carbs in milk or fruit.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I have a 7 oz. container of Fage 2% yogurt sitting in front of me. It has 20 g protein and 8 g sugar.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    the sugar in the milk is lactose, if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic then you don't have to worry about sugar or the carbs in milk or fruit.

^^^ That. The only 'real' sugars you have to keep an eye on are the added/refined sugars.
  • volrathdesign
    Options

Wait so the sugar listed in the fruits isn't bad either?

I thought if you consume too much sugar your body has to switch over to burning off that sugar first before it can resume burning off the other areas of importance.
  • Charise317
    Charise317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    we drink coconut or almond milk less sugar and not as much calories and lots of protien
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Soy milk is still high in protein. Whilst it can be full of sugar, you can get the unsweetened version (which won't taste great if you just want to drink a glass of milk but won't be too bad if used in cooking or with tea, cereal etc).

Apparently there are flavoured soy milks available too.
  • volrathdesign
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I have a 7 oz. container of Fage 2% yogurt sitting in front of me. It has 20 g protein and 8 g sugar.

Yes I eat Greek yogurt later in the day it's definitely a good replacement, looking for other options though as eating greek yogurt three times a day is a little expensive and redundant :)
  • Charise317
    Charise317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes greek yogurt is a good alternative too
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The sugar in milk does count when you're cutting carbs, and so does the sugar from fruit. Almond milk does have carbs as well. If you seriously want to cut carbs, you need to avoid most fruit. Higher fat milk has less lactose. Greek yogurt is a good choice as well - however, be careful of the portion size, because it is very calorie dense.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    we drink coconut or almond milk less sugar and not as much calories and lots of protien

^^^This
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar needs to be avoided.... I put it in my coffee even.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

coconut milk and almond milk have very little protein, not nearly what is found in milk.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Wait so the sugar listed in the fruits isn't bad either?

I thought if you consume too much sugar your body has to switch over to burning off that sugar first before it can resume burning off the other areas of importance.
    Your body needs a certain about of glucose (blood sugar) to function. This is important for your brain and metabolism as well as other organ functions.
    The "sugars" that your supposed to watch out for are refined sugars (think "high fructose corn syrup" or granulated sugar). Those are the ones specially listed on the nutrition label. If it's from fruit, veggies, or dairy don't worry about it as a "sugar".
  • volrathdesign
    Options

coconut milk and almond milk have very little protein, not nearly what is found in milk.

yes agreed, that's why it doesn't work for me unless i supplement it with some whey protein.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar needs to be avoided.... I put it in my coffee even.

*gasp*