Stomach Questions...

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
Can I REALLY actually get my stomach smaller and tighter? I mean realistically without starving. I just feel like my stomach is never gonna get small and toned again unless I seriously cut calories drastically. I used to have such a tiny tiny TINY little waistline, and although it's not HUGE, I just wonder if it's really truly possible to get it that little again when it has been chunky for almost 15 years AND I've had two kids stretch it all out.

Can I see some pics of your bellies...those who were heavy for a long time and gave birth and remained heavy for a long time.

How do you do it?

I mean I KNOW I can make it smallER than what it is, but I want it smallERERER lol And I want it tone and tight. I just feel like I'm never gonna be able to have real abs, and like my skin will always be loose.

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You can not spot reduce, you have to lose weight overall to lose it in the stomach, and for many of us women it's the LAST place to go. I'm very happy with the rest of my measurements but the last 10-15lbs better come off my stomach LOL.

You can tone up the muscles underneath too so that as the fat comes off the muscles are nice and toned which helps.

I have one child, LOTS of stretch marks and was overweight when I got pregnant, lost some and then gained it and more back (I weighed more when I started here than I did 9 months pregnant!) and my stomach IS getting smaller, it's just taking longer.
  • ojell
    Options
    I think my frustration mostly comes from the fact that in the past, my stomach was always the first to go, and then the rest...and now that's not the case. It's like no matter what I do, it's still there. Grrr...lol I really do need to start building some muscle up under there though. What's the best way to build muscle in your stomach?
  • theraylene
    theraylene Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get a hula hoop? Really, I'm giving it a try, thinking it will help my core muscles--and they are the ones that make your waist small and strong.

I'll let you know how it works out. My waist used to be my vanity, when I was slim--and that was too long ago now.
    Losing weight and working out......taking measurements and keeping on keeping on!
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    its my prob area also, everyone says, diet, diet, diet. the exercise and muscle building is important but you will never see whats underneath is the diet isnt right.
    make sure you are ok physically. There can be some problems like separation in the abs, i dont know what the term is, someone i am sure will write in. and then some have elasticity problems with the skin in that area after being heavy or pregnancy. Search some threads about the subject there is some really great people who have accomplished amazing things
  • ojell
    Options
    I like that idea! I could try that!!

My tiny waist was mine too...so I know what you mean.
  • ojell
    Options
    its my prob area also, everyone says, diet, diet, diet. the exercise and muscle building is important but you will never see whats underneath is the diet isnt right.
    make sure you are ok physically. There can be some problems like separation in the abs, i dont know what the term is, someone i am sure will write in. and then some have elasticity problems with the skin in that area after being heavy or pregnancy. Search some threads about the subject there is some really great people who have accomplished amazing things

Thanks! I hope there are no problems. :( I just want my old body back!

I will check those out!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The last place i seemed to lost weight was in my stomach. I have put on a few pounds in the last year and it seemed to all have gone straight to my stomach and thighs. Best advice is just stick with it and your waist will eventually get smaller. Not saying that you will end up with a 6 pack but you will eventually have a stomach that you are decently happy with. The goal is to just love your body by knowing that you did everything possible to get it how you want it. Good Luck
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Jamie you lok awesome! you have a flat bely almost a 6 pack from where i am sitting! so how long did it take yours to go down!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Jamie you lok awesome! you have a flat bely almost a 6 pack from where i am sitting! so how long did it take yours to go down!

Thanks! I am still working on getting my stomach to look the way i want. I lost weight everywhere at first then upped my cardio. I started to notice that my abs were getting better when I started running. To lose all the weight I lost it took me about 14 months.About 3 months after that I noticed the abs coming thru. So basically for me lots of cardio and a couple days of weight training and ab work got me the flatter stomach
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    Read this thread: it talks about how you can actually reduce weight in specific zones if you work out those musclse.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397447-can-i-reduce-fat-from-a-specific-part-of-my-body
  • SheriKatieLynn
    SheriKatieLynn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was the same way before my son was born (a long 13 years ago, the stomach/waist went first. This time I definitely lost my breasts (oh my where did they go?). Cardio has been great for me for reducing the size of my stomach and it is virtually flat again, however, my waist circumference has remained the same measurement for quite some time, with other areas all continuing to decrease. Just hoping/thinking it will catch up eventually?!? I have 9 lbs to go to be at a normal BMI - Yeah! The waist has to get smaller right?!?! Best of luck to you!
  • Ample2Astonishing
    Ample2Astonishing Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love my 5 lbs hula hoop and so do the boys in my house, it is a hoot to use this childhood toy for exercise, the laughing that goes along with this in my house is good for our souls too.

Congratulations on hitting the ONErland! :happy:
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. After about 7 months of serious diet and exercise I'm down to my goal weight but I still have a lot of flab on my belly. I'm happy with my legs, arms, and butt and I don't really want to loose anymore weight but I don't know what do to about my tummy. I continue to exercise and I'm increasing my ab work but so far I'm not see the results I want. It's frustrating but I'm not going to give up. One of my friends suggested getting a belly dancing exercise DVD to work my problem area.
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Jamie, you seriously look great! I'm jealous of your amazing abs. :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Abs starts in the kitchen. Follow the food pyramid, you can't go wrong there. Drink plenty of water. Water helps with losing fat. Cardio helps burn fat.

I don't know what cardio you are doing, but if I can suggest a toning abs workout to you to do in addition to your cardio workout, it would be Tae Bo Insane Abs. You can find this workout at Walmart for $9.99.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/billy-blanks-tae-bo-insane-abs-5939

Billy lets people know three key points in getting tone abs.

1. If you want to see your abs, you have to eat healthy. That's what it means, when a person says abs starts in the kitchen

2. To slim your waist, you have to do twisting exercises

3. To strengthen your abs, you have to do floor ab exercises

I don't diet. I believe in eating my version of healthy. I eat anything that I want, as long as I incorporate it into my daily calories. Moderation and portion size are important. I love drinking water. I aim for a half of gallon to a gallon a day.

For months I have been stuck at the same measurements, but that changed after doing 27 days of my 30 days Tae Bo program that I have created and started on October 3, 2011. I would only workout 5 days a week, resting on Saturdays and Sundays. In 27 days, I've lost 5 inches. 1 inch off my chest, 2 inches off my waist and 2 inches off my thighs.

If you don't want to buy Tae Bo Insane Abs, see if your library carries it and check it out. Trust me, you will see a difference.
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    2. To slim your waist, you have to do twisting exercises

3. To strengthen your abs, you have to do floor ab exercises

Stop making things up
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!