Looking for specific exercises/weight lifting for lower body

Options
Hello All,

I have thighs the size of tree trunks and a rear end to match. I'm trying to gain more definition in both the thighs and gluts. I do a Smith machine Swats and Dumbbell Dead Lifts. I have just added 30 minutes of interval walking/running up hill on the tread mill at the highest incline varying between 3.6 and 4.8 miles per hour. I have to hold on for dear life or I will fall of the thing. I was using the bike for 65 minutes at half resistance 15-18 miles per hour. That shaved 2" off the old butt-us last month.

Smith Machine-60 pounds...3 sets of 13
Dead lifts-60 pounds...3 sets of 13

Does anyone have any additional lower body ideas to get this bum of mine into better shape?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Marie

Replies

• mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I have thighs the size of tree trunks and a rear end to match. I'm trying to gain more definition in both the thighs and gluts. I do a Smith machine Swats and Dumbbell Dead Lifts. I have just added 30 minutes of interval walking/running up hill on the tread mill at the highest incline varying between 3.6 and 4.8 miles per hour. I have to hold on for dear life or I will fall of the thing. I was using the bike for 65 minutes at half resistance 15-18 miles per hour. That shaved 2" off the old butt-us last month.

Smith Machine-60 pounds...3 sets of 13
    Dead lifts-60 pounds...3 sets of 13

Does anyone have any additional lower body ideas to get this bum of mine into better shape?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Marie
  • troyjill44
    Options
    Hi! Squats and lunges, forward, sideways and backwards all work great. I've been doing them for the past few months, 3 sets of 15, along with other resistance type exercises and my thighs have gone from flabby to firm. It doesn't take long at all. Oh by the way, they really get your heartrate going too, so you're getting the benefit of cardio at the same time.

Good luck!
  • lmarcott
    lmarcott Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! Squats and lunges, forward, sideways and backwards all work great. I've been doing them for the past few months, 3 sets of 15, along with other resistance type exercises and my thighs have gone from flabby to firm. It doesn't take long at all. Oh by the way, they really get your heartrate going too, so you're getting the benefit of cardio at the same time.

Good luck!

I really do not like squats & lunges, but if they REALLY work then that's what I need to do. Thanks for the moto and wish me luck. ..............So do you have any tricks to bring the upper arm from flabby to firm?
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks! Like goblet squats and the like? I'll have a google on these. I hate squats without the smith machine. I'm always afraid I'm going to fall over. I'll get over it. I need more definition in the back end!
  • FitMomRunning
    FitMomRunning Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How about pelvic tilts? Those are killer! I agree with troyjill, lunges are also really good. Let's see...leg extensions and raises are good, as are side abductions/adductions. If you like step aerobics that's also a great way to get your butt looking better. Do you have a balance ball? Those are awesome for strength training.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options

Good luck!

I really do not like squats & lunges, but if they REALLY work then that's what I need to do. Thanks for the moto and wish me luck. ..............So do you have any tricks to bring the upper arm from flabby to firm?

Yes, for the upper arms I have been using two machines at the Y that have really helped. But the biggest help has been: Kickbacks, Skull Crushers and Dumbbell Tricep Preses. http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/l/blsampletricep.htm
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    How about pelvic tilts? Those are killer! I agree with troyjill, lunges are also really good. Let's see...leg extensions and raises are good, as are side abductions/adductions. If you like step aerobics that's also a great way to get your butt looking better. Do you have a balance ball? Those are awesome for strength training.

Thanks! Are you talking about the Cybex adbuctions/adductions? I use those...half hearted...but should I make it a practice of my lower body work out? Have you seen a difference with those?

I had a ball, but well, I got rid of it. There's a ton of them at the Y though. I could use one of theirs.
  • troyjill44
    Options
    YES! Not to brag, but thats my most improved area since starting to work out a few months ago. I've been working with a personal trainer and I no longer feel ashamed to wear sleevless shirts! Here's what he has me do a lot of: Cable machine chest presses and pulls, all 3 sets of 15 with 1 minute rest. Push ups, press ups, military presses, lunges while holding one hand overhead with weight and planks.

I started to notice a real difference in about 4-6 weeks of doing these exercises 2x a week. Hope they work for you too.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    YES! Not to brag, but thats my most improved area since starting to work out a few months ago. I've been working with a personal trainer and I no longer feel ashamed to wear sleevless shirts! Here's what he has me do a lot of: Cable machine chest presses and pulls, all 3 sets of 15 with 1 minute rest. Push ups, press ups, military presses, lunges while holding one hand overhead with weight and planks.

I started to notice a real difference in about 4-6 weeks of doing these exercises 2x a week. Hope they work for you too.

BRAG, please...BRAG...but share!

Do you really feel that the one minute rest is necessary? I am really curious about this.
  • FitMomRunning
    Options

Thanks! Are you talking about the Cybex adbuctions/adductions? I use those...half hearted...but should I make it a practice of my lower body work out? Have you seen a difference with those?

I had a ball, but well, I got rid of it. There's a ton of them at the Y though. I could use one of theirs.

I don't use any machines, but they are GREAT for shaping your thighs and hips. Lie on your side and lift your leg with your toes facing forward (top for abduction, lower for adduction). Try doing it so that each repetition takes 4 seconds total, you'll feel the burn big time.

With the ball, you'll really feel it in your hams and your abs.

As for results, I've been doing lower body strength training twice a week consistently since March 2nd and have gone from a size 12 to a size 6, which are now saggy in the butt. TMI ahead: the skin on my butt and thighs has also smoothed quite a bit.
  • troyjill44
    Options
    My trainer will have me do a superset, Lets say 15 reps of cable presses, then immediately 15 reps of cable pulls, so I am working my chest muscles, then my back muscles. It is pretty tiring, then 1 minute rest, then additional set and so on. I've found the rest to be pretty important b/c it is really exhausting. If it's not very tiring, then you probably need to up the weights a bit.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options

I don't use any machines, but they are GREAT for shaping your thighs and hips. Lie on your side and lift your leg with your toes facing forward (top for abduction, lower for adduction). Try doing it so that each repetition takes 4 seconds total, you'll feel the burn big time.

As for results, I've been doing lower body strength training twice a week consistently since March 2nd and have gone from a size 12 to a size 6, which are now saggy in the butt. TMI ahead: the skin on my butt and thighs has also smoothed quite a bit.

Okay, Heather! I will now ask you. This has been on my mind for a while, I have one of those THIGH MASTERS. I use it on rare occassion. Have you an opinion of this thing?

I'm impressed. I went from a 12 to a 6, but it took me twice as long as you. I strated February 2, 2009.
    Well done you!:flowerforyou:
  • lmarcott
    lmarcott Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Yes, for the upper arms I have been using two machines at the Y that have really helped. But the biggest help has been: Kickbacks, Skull Crushers and Dumbbell Tricep Preses. http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/l/blsampletricep.htm

Thanks, I have them saved and am logging off right now to get started......thanks for the moto and good luck with your exercises!
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    My trainer will have me do a superset, Lets say 15 reps of cable presses, then immediately 15 reps of cable pulls, so I am working my chest muscles, then my back muscles. It is pretty tiring, then 1 minute rest, then additional set and so on. I've found the rest to be pretty important b/c it is really exhausting. If it's not very tiring, then you probably need to up the weights a bit.

You're right. You're absolutely right. I know this. Drill it into my head..please. Up the weights and change activities on the cable. You're right. :embarassed: :ohwell: :embarassed:

Sometimes, I wonder what the heck is wrong with me that I just cannot change no matter how many times I've been told. Thanks for adding to the chorus!

There's a reason why I am a cardio junkie....It's sooo much easier just to get on the tread mill and run to exhaustion for 60-70 minutes then getting serious. :huh:

Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • FitMomRunning
    Options

Okay, Heather! I will now ask you. This has been on my mind for a while, I have one of those THIGH MASTERS. I use it on rare occassion. Have you an opinion of this thing?

I'm impressed. I went from a 12 to a 6, but it took me twice as long as you. I strated February 2, 2009.
    Well done you!:flowerforyou:

Thanks! As far as gadgets like that go, I think they're good for helping you find proper form but you don't get as good of results as if you did it on your own using weights or resistance bands. Does that make any sense? I know other people have had great success using it, though. One review I saw of it says that you'll get the best results from it by using it 20 minutes a day along with some cardio. If you find you like it and you can feel it working, go for it! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    It's like cardio...really you only get the best benefits if you do it 30 minutes with your heart rate up.

20 minutes with a thigh master....:huh: Well...:huh: