Running marathon distance or farther on only water

Options
I posted this in the long distance runner group a few hours ago with no response, so Id like to try this with a larger audience.

I have a personal goal of running miles equal to my age on my birthday. I do not want to be hassled with carrying more than I have to. I would like to hear from people who have done this, granted Im not running for a time, but for miles........ I expect to finish in around 6 hours based on current ability. I have NOT run marathon distance before so I will be breaking many mental and personal records next May.

Many thanks.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would at least take some gel packs, anything over 2 hours should require more than just water.
  • runnermel
    Options
    definitely need some gu packs and sports beans. maybe a few pretzels, and losts of water!!! also, maybe a salt pack. a lot of this depends on the weather as well. I would drive the route ahead of time and lay out water and gu.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I really like clif shot blocks and they really dont take up much room. I can fit them in the "key" pocket of my running shorts.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. Your body needs easy fuel. I haven't run marathon distances but I have biked 77miles in a day (7hours), its much easier mentally and physcially to have fuel while you run. Gels are super small and are about 100cals each. I suppose its possible that you mgith do it, but your chances of "bonking" are greater and doesn't sound like much fun. I get hungry after 6 hours when I'm just working, let alone running!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I agree. You can use just water to drink, but you need to replenish your glycogen stores. They get depleted when you are running for that long of a time. I have not run marathon distance, only 1/2 marathons, so I can only speak for running the shorter distance.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You need more than water. You need electrolytes, and some sort of food. I ran a marathon a few weeks ago on 7 Gus (700 calories), 12 oz of Powerade (80 calories) and quite a bit of water. You're asking for trouble (especially if you're not a distance runner) to do this in May with nothing to sustain you.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I read an article a few weeks ago relating to training over a period of time in a manner that encouraged your body to use its fat stores for energy on long runs, but I
    #1 can't find the article now...

#2 do not know how this method would compensate for loss of electrolyte stores in body.

I was sure that I was not the only one to think of trying this endevor, perhaps it was more naive than I presumed...
  • tarynjohnson
    Options
    You have enough glycogen in your muscles to last about an hour. After that (I believe) you start eating your fat and muscles for energy. So you should probably have some carbohydrate packs. 6 hours is a long time to go without eating even when you are just sitting around (at least for me)- think if you are pushing your body to the max for that duration without refueling. You should do some research - I am not a long distance runner- I only know this because I tried to train for a 1/2 marathon once with an ultra marathoner and she had a good book about it. Best of luck!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your training. What is your current weekly running mileage?
    Along with nutrition if you haven't a solid base you're setting yourself up for some good injury taking this on.

There was a great article in runner's world that had some basic calculations do put you in the ballpark of what your hourly intake should be for long distance running. When I get home I'll take a look to see if I can find it, or you could try searching their articles for it.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Don't get fooled by the "burning fat for fuel" strategy. That is a legitimate training and racing approach, but utilized for very few athlete who actually train their bodies to be able to use their fat stores. It requires very long workouts at low heart rate over a longer period of time. Triathlete Mark Allen used that approach years back. But that is very much a majority.

You MUST take in more than water. First at some point, your body will stop absorbing the water if it doesn't have any electrotyles or sugars in your stomach. There is a rare condition called Hyponytremia (probably spelled it wrong) where you can drown in your own fluids. Happen just recently to a woman running the Boston Marathon, and has happened before to others. After about an hour and a half, you need more than just water. Another thing to consider. Water is the perfect thirst quencher and over time will shut down your thirst, which is a mechanism to entice us to drink. Having a bit of a taste, or sugars keeps your thirst unquenched and your desire for liquid primed.

Also, during the regular day, you probably don't go more than 5 or 6 hours without eating something. Now you are going to burn hundreds/thousands of calories during perhaps that same time, and not put calories in. That is what causes marathoners to bonk, the loss of energy to fuel their system.
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have run a few marathons, and I cannot imagine doing this with no refueling. It was difficult enough with small things to replenish my energy. If you are doing an organized race, there should be plenty of aid stations along the way. If this is a distance you are attempting on your own, I suggest staging your snacks at intervals along the way. Get creative; park your car at a midway point with a GU, have a friend be at a certain mile-marker at an agreed time with a banana, etc. Either way, listen to your body and set yourself up for success by having energy-restoring foods ready for you if you need them. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a gu every 7 miles or so, helps keep my energy/blood sugar levels where they need to be. If you're going over 14mi. you should be taking in some calories. Under that distance, depends on your energy level to start. If I'm feeling weak before hand I'll down a meal replacement shake or a quick snack and hit the roads.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    I have slacked in the last 10 days and have only been running my 2.6 miles 3x a week as a warm up to my weight training. I have gradually increased my running distance since I began running in June. My last long run put me at 8 miles continuous run on gravel road up and down some serious hills. No injuries, no issues, also no water. Our temps are low here so Im sweating much less, but I will start with water today, as 1.5 hours of running seems to be starting to exceed my hydration limits. I consume between 6 to 8 liters of water every day regaurdless of training. I will be repeating that 8 mile run since I slacked in the last week. I will consider trying some gels once I exceed the 2 hour thresh hold.

MayorMcpanda, I look forward to seeing this article, could you send it to me in a message so I am sure not to miss it?

Thank you to everybody who has responded, please keep the advice coming.
    also, I would welcome any new friends that would have time to comment on my progress and offer advice as I continue this effort.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Amphiods! I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I learned about these products from a friend here (Taso42, who was king before the incident). I purchased one at REI and love it. http://www.amphipod.com/
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    Amphiods! I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I learned about these products from a friend here (Taso42, who was king before the incident). I purchased one at REI and love it. http://www.amphipod.com/

I thought that Taso42 was just a myth... legend if you will. Do you have proof he actually existed?
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have run a few marathons, and I cannot imagine doing this with no refueling. It was difficult enough with small things to replenish my energy. If you are doing an organized race, there should be plenty of aid stations along the way. If this is a distance you are attempting on your own, I suggest staging your snacks at intervals along the way. Get creative; park your car at a midway point with a GU, have a friend be at a certain mile-marker at an agreed time with a banana, etc. Either way, listen to your body and set yourself up for success by having energy-restoring foods ready for you if you need them. GOOD LUCK!!!!

No need to place food along the route, just pickup a fuel belt for ~30$, they allow you to store your gu/power bars etc. in a little mini pocket, kind of like a fanny pack, but they are stretchy and a lot smaller ( see not dorky). They work great for distance runs.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options

Brilliant! thanks for the tip...... now to find one locally.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Brilliant! thanks for the tip...... now to find one locally.
    I got mine at REI. Not sure if you have those around you.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    When do you plan on running this distance?
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    May, I have 5.5 months left of training.