morning workouts and eating

Options
i started the whole morning workout thing this morning. i was just wondering, is it better to workout on an empty stomach IN THE MORNINGS or should i have breakfast first?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This is really a personal choice. I workout in the morning and don't eat at all. I know people that need to eat or they get nauseous. Try it both ways and see which works better for you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If it feels right, then go for it.
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i didnt eat before my workout this morning and it didnt really bother me. i was too worried about falling asleep while on the treadmill. lmao. breakfast was the last thing on my mind. hahaha.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    id agree with the see which works better for you BUT:

what time do you get up and get out the door and head to teh gym?

i get up at like 7:00 and hit the gym for like 9:30. i HAFTA eat. id never be able to kick my own *kitten* in my workout...and i HATE breakfast...despise it and only eat it cause i have to...

but i bet youd have a better workout sesh if you ate before...just my opinion of course. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I found that when I was doing early morning workouts (6am or earlier) it was better to just go straight to the gym and then drink a protein shake on the way back. Then, once my family was up we'd all have breakfast together. I needed to get to the gym as early as I could before everyone woke up, so taking the time to eat and then digest wasn't possible, and it made me more sluggish at the gym.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I do Leangains so I always workout on an empty stomach. I only have BCAA before a workout and then eat after. I find that my performance and stamina during my runs has improved by working out fasted. Now I will have some clif shot blocks halfway through my run when I run anything over a 10K but that's it.
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat before I work out, makes me sick to my stomach.
    Others are just the opposite.
    Try it & see which way works for you.
    But congrats on starting your day with exercise! :flowerforyou:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I've done fasted, I've done something small like a protein shake and fruit. It's personal preference.

Coffee is required though, lol.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Totally up to you. .. whatever works. I don't eat before morning workouts but that works for me. There's no right or wrong way. Do what feels right for you.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Totally up to you. .. whatever works. I don't eat before morning workouts but that works for me. There's no right or wrong way. Do what feels right for you.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have tried it both ways...I seem to have a bit more energy when I get a little something in me like a spoonful of peanut butter and a half a cup of OJ...it's just enough for me. Breakfast after...I would not want a larger amount of food in my belly when I am working out.
  • biochick2004
    Options
    I've never found a straight answer for this one. One trainer says empty stomach is the way to go, another says to eat at least a snack 1-2 hours before a workout. I guess it's whatever works for you. I like working out in the morning, and I DAMN sure am not getting up at 4 am to squeeze in a snack first, lol!
  • awol88
    Options
    i didnt eat before my workout this morning and it didnt really bother me. i was too worried about falling asleep while on the treadmill. lmao. breakfast was the last thing on my mind. hahaha.

falling asleep on treadmill ... let me tell you it happens! I almost fell once and boy did that wake me up!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you which is best for you - but make sure you have plenty of liquids!

I can't work out hard if I've had practically ANYTHING to eat. I go with an empty stomach and then have breakfast afterwords.
  • mawhite717
    Options
    id agree with the see which works better for you BUT:

what time do you get up and get out the door and head to teh gym?

i get up at like 7:00 and hit the gym for like 9:30. i HAFTA eat. id never be able to kick my own *kitten* in my workout...and i HATE breakfast...despise it and only eat it cause i have to...

but i bet youd have a better workout sesh if you ate before...just my opinion of course. :)

i get up at 545 and hit the treadmill around 6 or so. so, i waste no time getting it over with. lmao
    p.s. I HAVE THOSE SAME KNEE SOCKS!! i also have a red pair and brown pair :o)
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    depends on if you are executing cardio or weight training in the AM.

I don't carb up before a cardio session because my body is just burning off the glycogen in the muscle and going no where toward my fat cell. So AM cardio, just water, then cardio.

Weight training in the AM, I eat 45 min. prior to training or do a balanced shake p/c/f 20 mintutes prior to if I am clipped for time.

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    "If nothing changes, nothing changes."
  • mawhite717
    Options

falling asleep on treadmill ... let me tell you it happens! I almost fell once and boy did that wake me up!

oh wow! im sure it would wake you up. hahaha. i hope it doesnt happen to me, but with me not being a morning person, im sure i will before i get use to it. haha