Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I don't think the temperature is relevant. Just drink it! :drinker:
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i've read that drinking cold water will tell your body to burn more calories just to bring it up to body temperature....but not sure if its true or not.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    also drinking hot tea or water after a fatty meal helps you to digest the fat better
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I asked my Endo that same question out of curiosity... she stated that "there is minimal caloric reaction as to whether or not you drink ice cold versus hot, or tepid - the main goal is to stay hydrated for optimal organ and systemic function"

Ill drink water cold, tepid - its wet..

But, you give me a cup of coffee, it BETTER be hot in the morning!!!! tepid coffee - BLEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • alininja1991
    alininja1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i've read that drinking cold water will tell your body to burn more calories just to bring it up to body temperature....but not sure if its true or not.

This is true, which is why when you go to the gym (or at least when i've been to the gym, and ive been for 4 different gyms) the water is luke warm, but when you drink it whilst working out it seems cold because you have upped your body temperature.
    If you drink ice cold water after an intense workout it can make your body go into shock, which can be very dangerous.

If you are not doing anything, if your just watching tv or going for a leisurely walk ice old water would be good, but not on an intense work out
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Drinking cold water drops your body's core temperature. I am not sure if you can send your body into shock because you drank ice cold water after an intense workout. I do know that you should be careful when drinking cold water when you are attemping to keep you body warm in extreme cold weather. Drinking cold water in extremely cold weather drops your core temperature and makes it difficult to bring it back up which makes it easier to get hyperthermia. I believe this is the only major difference in water temperatures. My gym's water is cold and lukewarm. I prefer to drink tap water cold because I think it mask the flavor and I can get it down better. But I drink filtered water at all temperatures.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options

This is true, which is why when you go to the gym (or at least when i've been to the gym, and ive been for 4 different gyms) the water is luke warm, but when you drink it whilst working out it seems cold because you have upped your body temperature.
    If you drink ice cold water after an intense workout it can make your body go into shock, which can be very dangerous.

If you are not doing anything, if your just watching tv or going for a leisurely walk ice old water would be good, but not on an intense work out

I would beg to differ. I have bicycled over 70 miles while sick, in the desert with no shade on a 107 degree day (I had no choice since I was keeping up with a group and our next campground was that far away). I was exhausted and nearly dead at the end of the day when I drank some ice cold water. Never felt so refreshed in my life.

Ice cold and hot may make a couple calorie difference which isn't enough to worry about. Whatever temperature makes you want to drink is the temperature you should have. I will only drink about a few cups all day if it's luke warm but if I keep a supply of ice in my water, I can drink over 150 oz.
  • alininja1991
    alininja1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I would beg to differ. I have bicycled over 70 miles while sick, in the desert with no shade on a 107 degree day (I had no choice since I was keeping up with a group and our next campground was that far away). I was exhausted and nearly dead at the end of the day when I drank some ice cold water. Never felt so refreshed in my life.

Ice cold and hot may make a couple calorie difference which isn't enough to worry about. Whatever temperature makes you want to drink is the temperature you should have. I will only drink about a few cups all day if it's luke warm but if I keep a supply of ice in my water, I can drink over 150 oz.

Well maybe it differs down to the person then, but all personal trainers (my best friend is a personal trainer) and trained scientifically, they know about anatomy and physiology, how the body works, they are much more knowledgeable than any regular person on a diet. I'd rather trusts my friends judgement, so for safety i'm gonna keep to what I put.

Its like saying beauticians are just a pretty face.