Is it normal to feel extra tired after a workout?

Options
I thought it was supposed to give you extra energy, but I crash afterward. I haven't been doing this long enough to know what I'm supposed to expect. And if it isn't normal, any suggestions on how to avoid it?
Some info about me:

I am 5'10 and weigh 268.

I do 20 minutes of cardio/strength training about 3 times a week, sometimes more.

I eat around 2000 calories a day and I eat most of my exercise calories back when I can.

I exercise usually during my lunch break (11:30 am) or before dinner (6ish pm)

I usually eat after I workout.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Only if you worked hard
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm almost always exhausted after a workout and couldn't possibly do anything that took any energy.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I crash too! Actually, both my mom and I crash. I typically like to try to fit in a nap after I work out. I took a Zumba class with a couple of friends early in the morning--when the class was done, I'd shower and fall back asleep for a little. My friends thought I was nuts, saying they had TONS of energy after the class.

Some of it may be not being accustomed to working out (I'm not very consistent, so I'm sure that's an issue for me, too), but I think some people are just different--not everyone can have the immediate "high" from working out!

In other words, you're not alone! :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm always pretty wiped immediately after a workout, but in general, I have much more energy since I started exercising regularly. I think that's what most people mean when they say working out makes them more energetic.
  • chribro
    chribro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How long after your breakfast do you workout? Might be worth putting a snack in about an hour before doing your workout. Just remember to keep it healthy rather than a chocolate.
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pooped for an hour or two afterwards, regardless of what time of the day I work out or whether its cardio or streingth training.
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I weigh 255 and am 5'7"

I do 45 min of cardio and 20 min of strength traning 5 days a week at 5:00 a.m.

I for one feel extra energized after my workouts. I eat 1600 calories a day and will sometimes eat 100-200 of my exercise calories back.

I would make sure you are getting plenty of sleep at night and not working out to close to bedtime but for me it is 100% opposite.

Good luck!
  • grneyedgf
    grneyedgf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    YES! The first time I got on a stair stepper, I couldn't last 3 minutes. So I tried 1 minute extra a day. I finally got up to 45-1hr 4 times a week. It's not gonna happen overnight. You just got to get mad enough to push through, even when you don't feel like it. It will take awhile to regain your energy and start to feel better. Your body is trying to rid the body of fat and it needs lots of water to do it. Not enough water can make you feel TIRED & HUNGRY! Your doing great, don't get discouraged. It will happen!
  • Little_Ms_
    Options
    I'm only tired now after exercise because I'm in my 40's. I never felt it after working out when I was younger.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Although everyone is different, I don't think you should be that tired after 20 minutes of cardio/strength. Are you doing 20 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of strength? That might cause you to feel a little more tired. However, if this is brand new to you, you might have to build some endurance up to not feel exhausted.

Look over your diet and see if there's anything you could adjust. Look a little more closely to your carbs and protein. You might want to eat a small snack (half banana w/ PB) before you work out and and then enjoy a protein afterwards.

Replenish your liquids, too. Water can somewhat help off set drowsiness.

Good luck. And, congrats on the 25 pounds gone!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I used to crash a bit...but the fitter I got, the less I felt bad and even felt invigorated! I have to do even longer workouts too now to feel the same effects. :)

Keep it up...being tired means, hopefully, that youre working hard! :)
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    When I first started working out, I was wiped afterwords. Now I go to the gym at 5:30am, do 40 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of strength training and I am ready for the day... FEEL GREAT. Maybe you'll get used to it, I did.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    the only time i can work out is at night, somewhere between 7 and 9pm. After a workout i'm pretty jazzed for two hours so I can't even sit down to do homework, much less sleep.
  • shollet
    Options
    make sure you're eating good fuelling calories - protein rather than carbs where you can.
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm tired after my workouts... actually, I just finished one and I'm tired. It's a good tired though, kind of euphoric and groovy. Keep at it - you're doing great and what's more, you're getting up and doing your workouts every day. Listen to your body and keep rocking this.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I started Couch to 5K I was absolutely exhausted every time...even if the time I spent running was a total of 8 minutes at a jog. Now I can do a 5 mile run in the morning and do a full day with the kids including another long walk. I think it's something your body needs to get used to, and it will.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Sure! When I work out hard, even taking a shower afterwards is difficult because I am so exhausted. I am thinking about running in particular. Spinning, however, energizes me. So perhaps it depends on what you're doing that is exhausting you.