Drinking water helps....

Options
2»

Replies

• caroline1685
    caroline1685 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    drinking to much water can be dangerous, For some of us im on water tablets and i am only allowed to drink 1 liter of fluids a day. that includes tea, milk water from soups.
    what happens is my body retains it,,it then becomes on my lungs and i go it to heart failure because i have a serious heart condition, i am then admitted to hospital and have iv fluid to get this out.
    so what i trying to say is be careful not to over do it, 2.5 liters sounds fine. hope this helps.
  • alininja1991
    alininja1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    drinking to much water can be dangerous, For some of us im on water tablets and i am only allowed to drink 1 liter of fluids a day. that includes tea, milk water from soups.
    what happens is my body retains it,,it then becomes on my lungs and i go it to heart failure because i have a serious heart condition, i am then admitted to hospital and have iv fluid to get this out.
    so what i trying to say is be careful not to over do it, 2.5 liters sounds fine. hope this helps.

Really sorry to hear about your heart :(
    It did help a lot actually thank you, I'm taking a rough guess that if I exercise I can drink more because i'll be sweating etc? so If I was to do an hour of cardio, I normally drink an extra litre a day when I do this, so thats 3.5litres, but that should be ok right cause I sweat A LOT when I work out?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There is no danger to drinking too much water. It would be impossible to drink too much water. If your body felt there was too much water, it would simply expel it -- you can't hold your pee in indefinitely, and you can't control your sweating. There are many things in life that can be dangerous if we get either not enough OR too much (Vitamin D, for example). Water is NOT one of them.
    Please don't post false and dangerous information. Water intoxication is not common but it does happen. There was a case a few years ago where a woman died from drinking too much water during a contest.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking more water lately, too. I haven't been striving for a "magic number" of liters or cups, just having a glass before work, one after, carrying a water bottle around at work, and drinking sparkling water with lunch (used to be diet soda).

I don't know if it helps weight loss per say, but if you're working out, it's really important to drink extra water. Also, I have noticed that I'm one of the only ones at my office that hasn't gotten sick this fall, and I have heard that staying hydrated strengthens your immune system and flushes out germs.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps with weight loss or not. I know that it helps me decide how much I am really hungry for and how much is being thirsty... and I know that after a few weeks of drinking more, you can adjust and not be peeing so often! I drink about four or five litres of water a day.

Wow you drink 20 cups of water daily? Geez I would never come out of the bathroon if I drank that many...lol. I get between 10-12 cups daily and still seems like I am in that bathroom lots.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Water itself isn't magical, but if you drink a lot of COLD water as many of us enjoy it, your body will spend Calories raising it to body temperature. Raising a liter of well-iced water to body temp will burn about 37 Calories. So those drinking their 8 cups of cold water a day and changing nothing else will burn around 80 extra Calories each day. That's 8 lbs of weight loss in a year.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Water itself isn't magical, but if you drink a lot of COLD water as many of us enjoy it, your body will spend Calories raising it to body temperature. Raising a liter of well-iced water to body temp will burn about 37 Calories. So those drinking their 8 cups of cold water a day and changing nothing else will burn around 80 extra Calories each day. That's 8 lbs of weight loss in a year.
    Do you have a source for that?
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've read in the Abs diet book published by mens health that if you dont drink enough water your body will retain more the less often you drink. By drinking alot of water your body adjusts by retaining less water. I believe this is where the weight loss aspect of water comes from. In addition the extra water will ret rid of toxins in the body. While i'm not sure if 2.5 liters is required it cant hurt. Water is the best thing you can give your body.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OK, fine -- there are people who have died from drinking too much water. Here's what they ALL had in common -- they were drinking EXCESSIVE amounts of water in extremely short amounts of time. We're not talking about drinking 10-12 cups in a day. In all the cases that have been made public in the media (and accessible on the internet), there were cases of people drinking 4 liters in 2 hours, kids being forced to drink 2.8 in four hours or a gallon in 2 hours, hazing victims who were forced to drink gallons of water during the course of a party, a woman who died from drinking too much water and NOT PEEING!!! These are not people who are drinking 8, 16, or even 24 glasses of water a day (spread out over the course of a day). These are not people who are allowing their bodies to excrete in a normal way. They are doing something completely out of the ordinary. So, to act as though water intoxication is even close to common, let alone that the average person could just accidentally "OD" on water is utterly ridiculous.

To the one poster who has a particular medical condition -- I'm sorry to hear that you have this condition. But, A) there's no doubt in my mind that this is a rare condition and B) I'm guessing that you had been warned that you have the condition, and therefore know how to take precautionary measures. I seriously doubt that the average person is suddenly going to find out that they have this particular condition because they drank 9 glasses of water in a day.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    it's a complete and utter myth that refuses to die
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WATER does NOT get rid of toxins in the body.
    This is utter nonsese
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    OK, fine -- there are people who have died from drinking too much water. Here's what they ALL had in common -- they were drinking EXCESSIVE amounts of water in extremely short amounts of time. We're not talking about drinking 10-12 cups in a day. In all the cases that have been made public in the media (and accessible on the internet), there were cases of people drinking 4 liters in 2 hours, kids being forced to drink 2.8 in four hours or a gallon in 2 hours, hazing victims who were forced to drink gallons of water during the course of a party, a woman who died from drinking too much water and NOT PEEING!!! These are not people who are drinking 8, 16, or even 24 glasses of water a day (spread out over the course of a day). These are not people who are allowing their bodies to excrete in a normal way. They are doing something completely out of the ordinary. So, to act as though water intoxication is even close to common, let alone that the average person could just accidentally "OD" on water is utterly ridiculous.

To the one poster who has a particular medical condition -- I'm sorry to hear that you have this condition. But, A) there's no doubt in my mind that this is a rare condition and B) I'm guessing that you had been warned that you have the condition, and therefore know how to take precautionary measures. I seriously doubt that the average person is suddenly going to find out that they have this particular condition because they drank 9 glasses of water in a day.

But, when posting, it is better to never put your statements in "absolutes" without pointing out the exceptions, clarifications, or qualifications. There are a lot of people here trying very hard to become fit, many for the first time in their lives. Someone who might "hate" water could decide to drink their 3 litres in 15 minutes... So, okay, I'm not sure that particular amt/time frame would cause water intoxication, but you get my point.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is utter nonsese

This. It also does nothing for weight loss, other than helping eliminate water weight if you are retaining water. You have organs in your body that eliminate toxins. Yes, being properly hydrated helps, but your body really doesn't care if it comes from pure water, juice, soda, coffee, tea, or watermelon, celery chicken broth, or any other source of liquid. Plain water does nothing special, except save calories.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you have a source for that?
    It's the definition of calorie. A calorie is a unit of heat energy defined by the amount of heat required to raise one gram/milliliter of water one Celsius. A food Calorie is actually a kilocalorie, so the amount of heat required to raise one liter of water one Celsius. Water just at freezing temp is around 1 C and body temp is about 38 C. A liter is roughly 4 cups, so 8 cups from 1 C to 38 C costs in the neighborhood of 76 Calories. It's just simple math.

You can also burn calories by hanging out in cold weather as your body burns extra fuel to combat the colder air.
  • alininja1991
    Options
    This is utter nonsese

Actually it does, I went to my doctor today to talk about my spot I am recently getting, I am WELL out of puberty, been out of that sinec i was 14... thats nearly 7 years... So the doctor asked me if i'm doing anything different with my diet and I told him I am drinking 2.5litres a day and he told me I am getting spots because of the toxins behind flushed out my body, I am also sweating more, which is a sign of toxins being released...

Also I am on the depo so I don't have a cycle. Ladies, it doesn't flush toxins out your body... Obviously you have to have a healthy diet AS WELL AS for this to happen..

I think a doctor confirming this is more accurate than any of us, since they see this stuff all the time.

Anyway the dr said in about 2 weeks my spots should be gone as soon as my body adjusts to this new dietary requirement
  • andrea_marie3
    andrea_marie3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I found the same results with my headaches! Lesson learned...always drink enough water.
  • alininja1991
    Options
    I found the same results with my headaches! Lesson learned...always drink enough water.

Definitely!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is utter nonsese

Actually it does, I went to my doctor today to talk about my spot I am recently getting, I am WELL out of puberty, been out of that sinec i was 14... thats nearly 7 years... So the doctor asked me if i'm doing anything different with my diet and I told him I am drinking 2.5litres a day and he told me I am getting spots because of the toxins behind flushed out my body, I am also sweating more, which is a sign of toxins being released...

Also I am on the depo so I don't have a cycle. Ladies, it doesn't flush toxins out your body... Obviously you have to have a healthy diet AS WELL AS for this to happen..

I think a doctor confirming this is more accurate than any of us, since they see this stuff all the time.

Anyway the dr said in about 2 weeks my spots should be gone as soon as my body adjusts to this new dietary requirement
    This is because you were probably not as well hydrated. Like I said, being properly hydrated helps your organs function properly, but it doesn't matter the source of the liquid. You could drink 2.5 liters of coffee and get the same over all results. If you're drinking more than you were before, then you are more hydrated than you were, which helps your body eliminate toxins. Physically, the water doesn't actually do anything special to that effect.