P90X Yoga

Options
I've done the P90X yoga a few times, anyone else? It seems more intense than a normal Yoga class would be, but I've never done any others. Has anyone found the calorie burn estimate on myfitnesspal for just "yoga" to be close to accurate with the P90X yoga? Just curious.

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I always put in my calculations with my own setting or with aid of a HRM. The p90x yoga is vinyasa yoga at the first part and is different than some other types of yoga that you may have seen in classes. There's a site called caloriesperhour.com and you can navigate through the top bar for a list of calories burned by your weight, length of time exercising and per specific exercise. I think vinyasa or ashtanga yoga is on there.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? But yes, P90X yoga is hard. Most 90m yoga classes out there are too! The 90m yoga class I take on occasion is killer. I always averaged about 275-300 calories burned for 90m and taking my height/weight into factor here too.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it is tougher than your average yoga....but in a good way! I always used a HRM when I did it, and I always burned more than MFP said for regular yoga.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do P90X Yoga fairly regularly, and for me the calorie burn here is high.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? But yes, P90X yoga is hard. Most 90m yoga classes out there are too! The 90m yoga class I take on occasion is killer. I always averaged about 275-300 calories burned for 90m and taking my height/weight into factor here too.

I don't have one. Probably would be a good investment. Just curious about it's comparison to a normal yoga routine. Seem like it wouldn't be as intense, but maybe so!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do P90x yoga and Bikram regularly and the yoga for MFP is more gear toward "mild stretching" rather than high intensity yoga meant to get your heart rate up there, like a sprint. I would enter it as Pilates or aerobics if you use MFP to get a calorie count.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have done it with my bodybugg and gotten around 250 calories burned. I find it harder than the yoga at the gym though. I haven't been to a ton of different classes or styles, but the one at my gym you hold a pose, the and other and so on. Lots of chanting too, which I hate. The p90x one moves you around much more, so burns more calories.
  • missymischief
    Options
    Hmmm....don't know about the calorie burn for p90x, but p90x yoga is by FAR the hardest yoga I have ever done. Ever.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I've done Yoga X about 4 or 5 times. HRM says I burned between 180 and 250 calories for the hour and a half. Hard to see that for a workout, lol. Especially when I can burn the same doing a 20 minute HIIT workout for the same.
    But Yoga is good for you in other ways as well and I do feel very worked out by doing it.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did P90x yoga for a while - and I LOVE yoga. I didn't find myself enjoying this one so much. It seems like a forced workout versus what I think yoga should be - breathing, stretching, strengthing and unwinding the mind. Just my personal opinion though - if it works for you, more power to you!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I teach yoga, and it varies by the type of class you are taking. That's a pretty typical yoga style for me, and it does burn a lot more calories than some of the lighter, restorative types of yoga.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    I do P90X yoga about once a week, and also attend hot yoga classes every so often. For me I get challenged way more physically doing P90X Yoga than I do doing hot Yoga. When I do P90X yoga I add about 600 calories to my diet, which seems about right for me.
  • alamore13
    Options
    I've tried it once so far. And that first time, I could finish it. I had to stop the dvd very early. I couldn't sit still, keep up with tony and all those Vinyasas. I find having to do all those Vinyasas very annoying. I have to do this on the 9th and I'm sort of dreading it. . But I'm gonna try and be patient with it. We will see what happens.