water aerobics

Options
do you burn alot of calories or get a good work out?

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Not so much...from what I found...but it's all relative. I took a class after a stress fracture on my foot. I'm used to high intensity, but wanted to keep moving. I didn't burn up at all. It was "generally" older and obese women who took the class....so a great starting point for someone who isn't use to exercise or has physical limitations...but for a great burn...nope. :-)M HTH!
  • melmccabe
    melmccabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get the best workout doing "deep water" water aerobics. You get a good workout with aerobics in shallow water as long as the class keeps moving and uses resistance buoys.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Likewise, I also found it's not a great burn. I did it with my dad as he was trying to get back into exercising (he's 73) - and found it all seniors or people with limited mobility. I would stay after the class and swim a mile to get the heart pumping.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yeah not a crazy burn! I think it's more meant for the resistance in the water to help build up muscle more so than getting the heart-rate up.
  • debswebby
    Options
    The class I was taking was great. Really good workout. Lots of running and jumping and resistance. I had to give it up because the jumping was causing too much pain.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of water aerobics you are going to do. There is deep water aqua fit, shallow water aqua fit, aqua yoga etc.
    I always found i got the best burn in deep water, in shallow water I always used resistance buoys to bring the intensity up a bit. It also depends on how much you want to push yourself, you could go in and simply do a half assed thing and burn minimal calories or you can push yourself harder and burn more.
  • mutt12345
    Options
    I have heard it is great for overall fitness but as far as calories burned I dont think so. Variety is the key. If you like it and it is healthy keep doing it
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sure there are alot of seniors there but the class I went to. It still got my heart beat going, unless i got stuck on the shallow end..lots of jogging from one end to the other, well some walked. Side jumping jacks from one side to the other with a ton of arm work out with weights if you wanted them.
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i go to water aerobics and i love it, i was 16 stone a few month ago, struggled to lose a few lb's till i made my mind up enough is enough, started MFP and water aerobics and love it,(they start off in shall end then move on to deep water) i also do a lot of walking, my local pool also has a small circut training gym that i am going to give a go soon
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    You are going to get out of it what you put into it. As long as you are giving it your all and pushing yourself you'll get a good burn. Plus, it's going to depend on the class. There are some classes that are faster paced and higher intensity than others.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's worth trying. I took a class at the University's gym that was quite difficult! We used a great deal of resistance and spent most of our time at around 4 ft (shallow water maybe?)

(I guess the target age is lower, but faculty and staff use the facilities as well)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    45 minutes burns 257 calories according to the MFP database. I'm getting back into shape after an accident, and was obese. So it is the perfect exercise because it is easy on the joints. Our instructor has us work with the barbells all through the class, so the burn is definitely there. I swim 30 min before and after class, and find that the acqua-fitness exercises a totally different set of muscles. Upper body and lower body benefit.
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Deep water aerobics is by far the best if you're looking for a good solid work out.
    As some others have said, water aerobics is typically for older people but that doesn't you still can't get a good work out and burn tons of calories, you just may not feel it right away. It's all about what you put into it, most instructors will show you ways of doing each move to create more resistance. If you're a strong swimmer, try the class (or a portion of it) without a flotation device.
    Also don't judge a class after the first time, go once or twice and see how you feel. Typically for those who aren't used to working out in water you may not feel as you're doing it that you're getting as good of a work out because you may not feel hot or sweaty like you would if you were working out on land but you will be sweating quite a bit.
    If your pool has them I'd recommend aqua jogging or aqua zumba for more of a cardio work out.