I need help.

Options
I am having a difficult time. I started out like gang busters (don't we all?). I tried giving up pop but told myself if I REALLY wanted 1 or 2 a WEEK, OK. My Dr. said that was reasonable since I had previously been drinking 1-2 a DAY!!! I drink lots of water :drinker: and sometimes Crystal Light. But a few weeks ago I was ill :sick: and the pop was comfort thing for me and now I am having a hard time giving it up. I do need to watch the caffeine due to headaches, and NOW I need to watch the sugar & carbs because when I had my physical in Feb. the Dr said I am heading toward becoming diabetic. I am OK with diet Vernors or Diet Squirt. But I hate diet colas and colas were my favorite pop. Any suggestions?

Replies

• gtcalgal
    gtcalgal Posts: 13
    Options
    I am having a difficult time. I started out like gang busters (don't we all?). I tried giving up pop but told myself if I REALLY wanted 1 or 2 a WEEK, OK. My Dr. said that was reasonable since I had previously been drinking 1-2 a DAY!!! I drink lots of water :drinker: and sometimes Crystal Light. But a few weeks ago I was ill :sick: and the pop was comfort thing for me and now I am having a hard time giving it up. I do need to watch the caffeine due to headaches, and NOW I need to watch the sugar & carbs because when I had my physical in Feb. the Dr said I am heading toward becoming diabetic. I am OK with diet Vernors or Diet Squirt. But I hate diet colas and colas were my favorite pop. Any suggestions?
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try a different sweet drink. I'm a coffee lover, and I can drink enough coffee to use up 1/3 of my calorie quota for the day!
    So recently, I started heating a cup of water in the microwave...and then I add a packet of Crystal Light. It makes me feel full, and it also satisfied my craving for the sweetness.

A friend of mine recently started doing this, too, and they think it's a wonderful substitute for the pop they were drinking.

(And something we all need to remind ourselves: Ultimately, we CAN. We're the ones making the choices...)
  • katied812
    katied812 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried seltzer or sparkling water with fruit juice? I drink lots of water and sometimes get sick of it - so when I am craving something like a soda, I pour about 3/4 glass of seltzer, lots of ice, and mix in about 1/4 glass of either orange juice, cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, grape juice...you can try whatever kind of juice you like, and if you look for juices that don't have added sugar or high fructose corn syrup, it can be a good alternative to sugary drinks and sodas. I find them very refreshing! Just check the labels on the juice you buy to make sure they are not high in sugar. Hope that helps - good luck!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    everyone is different, but when i started 5 weeks ago I went from drinking 4-6 cans of Dr. Pepper per day to one a day and found that I craved it so bad. after about 3 days of that I decided to quit cold turkey. I really craved them for about 2 weeks, but now I dont really crave it at all, and I dont miss it.

IMO, try giving it up, and try not to give into temptations. They say habits take AT LEAST 3 weeks to form, so make sure you stick with it long enough to make it a habit.

Good luck!

Dana
  • Pattigirl1983
    Options
    what about Coke zero
  • cdcoates1
    Options
    Hello my name is Cassandra and I started working out on December 21, 2008. I have lost 12-pound as well as many inches. I put a calendar on the fridge to track the amount of days I work out as well as my pounds. I would suggest that you continue to reming yourself that you control what you put into your body not let what you put into your body control you. Just stay focused on the end result no matter what and you will get the results that your looking for. There is a saying that I heard and I have place it on the screen saver on my cell phone as well as in a frame in my house. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Good luck!!
  • lnwallace
    lnwallace Posts: 11
    Options
    I like Diet Dr. Pepper and the Coke Zero isn't bad, diet Hanson's are okay, especially the tangerine lime one. Though now I find I can barely get through a whole can of pop any more. You just don't crave it or like it as much after awhile.