Sushi/Eating Out

Options
My friend is taking me out for sushi tonight what are some good sushi to eat that is low in calories.

Replies

• saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from rolls/cones with fried stuff or tempura in them... & stay away from rolls/cones with creamy sauces.

That is all :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear sushi...I don't ever bother with calories when I eat sushi. It's just heaven.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I've seen a number of posts in the past with great suggestions. Try the Search link just above this thread and search for: sushi calories.

Have fun!
  • sarahsaca
    sarahsaca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    maybe just do sashimi so you don't have the calories and carbs from all the rice....
  • Shanbl
    Shanbl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If they don't give you complimentary miso soup and edamame, you can order those as appetizers to help fill you up too.

Here's a link for nutrition facts from the site:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/sushi
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Stick with the 'simple' rolls, no sauces, no cream cheese (why that's even a thing is beyond me), nothing fried, just fish, rice, nori. If you really like the sauces, ask for them on the side and you can control how much you are using. Realize spicy sauce is really just mayo with sriracha and eel sauce is often made with loads of high fructose corn syrup or sugar. Edamame is a great appetizer, filling and healthy. Miso soup is great unless you're concerned about sodium.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The calories from the rice are minimal. I agree no tempura anything. Calirfornia rolls aren't great either. My favorite order is a spicy tuna roll, and an avocado roll. Less than 500 calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The calories from the rice are minimal.

You must not eat sushi the way I do LOL
  • HighHeelsHoney
    Options
    Sashimi! Edamame!

Use low sodium soy sauce.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear sushi...I don't ever bother with calories when I eat sushi. It's just heaven.

Couldn't agree more!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick with the 'simple' rolls, no sauces, no cream cheese (why that's even a thing is beyond me), nothing fried, just fish, rice, nori. If you really like the sauces, ask for them on the side and you can control how much you are using. Realize spicy sauce is really just mayo with sriracha and eel sauce is often made with loads of high fructose corn syrup or sugar. Edamame is a great appetizer, filling and healthy. Miso soup is great unless you're concerned about sodium.

Good suggestions! Also- I find that sticking to sashimi is usually easiest. Some places will have a sashimi salad that can be quite tasty and you can fill up on greens :).
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys the place I go to has free miso soup but may fav is the califrornia roll :-( I have almost 800 calories left plus I haven't exercised yet so I may be good.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The sushi with tempura and mayo and avocado in it will be higher in calories. Go for simple rolls (like a simple salmon or tuna roll) or you might want to ditch the sushi completely and get sashimi (maybe my fave food) which is raw fish/sea food/egg with soy sauce and wasabi (if you like either). I also really like seaweed salad. Nothing like eating salmon and tuna sashimi with wasabi and watching Jurassic Fight Club. :)
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would love to say that but I have been on a roll I lost 4lbs this week
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Miso Soup, Edaname & Sashimi (has no rice)

All are ok, enjoy
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys the place I go to has free miso soup but may fav is the califrornia roll :-( I have almost 800 calories left plus I haven't exercised yet so I may be good.

California rolls aren't the worst thing, in fact they aren't bad for you at all! If they're what you love, have one. When we go out for sushi we usually order a lot of things to share, which allows me to have a few pieces of some of the higher calorie rolls and still stay within my caloric allotment. If you don't go out very often and have been pretty 'good' this week, don't sweat going a little over your number (by a little I mean about 100). It won't set you back and you will be able to have a fun night. The big calorie hounds with sushi are the sauces, avocado (though it's good for you, it adds up if you get it in multiple rolls), and the fried things.

And while I eat brown rice for the most part, brown rice sushi just doesn't cut it for me. I tried it for a while - like 6 months - thinking I'd eventually get used to it, but nope. The calories aren't that different anyway.
  • ariana_zimcosky
    Options
    That's really tough because some of the fish is really high in fat. I love the Alaska roll which is salmon and that's always the worst. Plus the avacado doesn't help either. But I agree with a lot of the other comments. Also you can look at vegetarian rolls too. They might be a bit better on the calorie side. Me personally, I don't even look anymore. :)
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Spicy Crunchy Tuna Roll! but when I'm REALLY craving and want to indulge... Rainbow Roll gets me every time!
  • stealthxstar
    stealthxstar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's really tough because some of the fish is really high in fat. I love the Alaska roll which is salmon and that's always the worst. Plus the avacado doesn't help either. But I agree with a lot of the other comments. Also you can look at vegetarian rolls too. They might be a bit better on the calorie side. Me personally, I don't even look anymore. :)

the fats from fish are generally the "good" oils and fats. omega-3 fatty acids and all.

i would say go sashimi! high in protein, low in fat, SUPER yummy.