hello, I think

Options
Have never successfully belonged to blogs, twitters, or member sites. Am a new grandmother with a new zest and reason for getting healthy-keeping up with a soon-to-be-adopted 2-year-old. Am fat, out of shape, and trying one. more. time. Don't know what to say on a message board or what goes here, but am willing to try. Actually signing into all the profile info and logging foods yesterday and today is getting me interested in getting healthy and examining my diet and what foods I should be eating mindfully- instead of just eating what's there as quick as possible. Have very busy career and life and will have to work very hard to stay ahead of all this. Here I go!

Replies

• weedietoday
    Options
    Have never successfully belonged to blogs, twitters, or member sites. Am a new grandmother with a new zest and reason for getting healthy-keeping up with a soon-to-be-adopted 2-year-old. Am fat, out of shape, and trying one. more. time. Don't know what to say on a message board or what goes here, but am willing to try. Actually signing into all the profile info and logging foods yesterday and today is getting me interested in getting healthy and examining my diet and what foods I should be eating mindfully- instead of just eating what's there as quick as possible. Have very busy career and life and will have to work very hard to stay ahead of all this. Here I go!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    welcome! Laura took the words right out of my mouth! :bigsmile:
  • lilmissnicole
    Options
    I'm so happy you're interested in becoming healthy!! :wink:
    Your going to love it here, just make sure you keep logging your foods everyday and DONT GIVE UP!!! :bigsmile:
    Message me anytime, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 10 pounds in the first 5 weeks. I just joined in March but had a little trouble over Easter what with the meals and chocolate easter eggs etc. but I just kept logging it in anyhow. I think I know how many calories are in everything. I am pretty well back on track now and in about a week will start trying for another 10 pounds. I find it really easy on this site. Sometimes I will log my food in before I eat it and then make better choices. I have completely given up cream in my coffee and free pouring. I measure everything. Measuring cup and a tablespoon and tsp. are my tools. I am very busy at work right now so will just coast for another week. (maintain this weight) and then I am going down another 10. If you have any questions, someone will always answer them.
    Good luck to you.
    Try and get yourself a ticker as I find that really motivating also.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Your new grandchild will thank you so much for this step you are taking. Take it from me, a granddaughter whose grandmother is still around because she got her health under control. :flowerforyou: Welcome. I love this site. Just stick with it, don't give up, and remember: this is about life, not a diet or some quick fix. You can do it and we are all in it together. :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too. :drinker:
    ps. For added incentive, try clicking on members (who have lost a fair amount) profile pics, such as mine, and see just HOW MUCH of a change MFP has made in our lives. It will REALLY give you motivation to lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome to MFP---this site has changed my life. I had never been involved with internet message boards or anything like this. I was looking for an online list of how many calories in some food and found MFP.

I log my food the night before so I can rearrange and make choices before I eat. After I make my plan, I stick to it and have a rule for myself to not accept any food that is offered to me not matter how benign or tasty looking or anything.

I found a group of supportive people that I check in with almost every day. :bigsmile: There are a lot of good groups. Look on the message board for "Motivation and Support". There's a group for 50+ Women and other groups that have fitness challenges.

Take it one day at a time. Take baby steps in making changes. You can't change everything at once.

Go to "Tools" and make a ticker for yourself. It is so motivating to see your weight change.:bigsmile:

Ask questions. There are no dumb questions and there's always someone with the answer.

Good luck. You can do this.:bigsmile: and drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker:
  • weedietoday
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who sent encouraging words to a newbie. I give you all credit for my taking the time to cook a nutritious dinner for my daughter and me-chicken in EVOO, boiled corn, tomatoes. I would have probably been headed to a bag of Orville R, but your words sent me to the cabinet to pull out the pots and pans. Thanks and I look forward to learning how to better care for myself (and my family) from all of you who are already doing it!