Need Help

Options
So i am not sure if I am eating to little calories or just bottom line way to much fruit. If any of you guys mind taking a peak at my diary and giving me some hints that would help a lot. Thank you

Replies

• missiesleeper
    Options
    You're not eating enough. It's almost dinner time and you still have over 1000 calories left.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesn't stop you from losing weight.

You've kept your calories too low for too long, and now that your body has adapted, there's no more room for you to realistically cut calories. You're going to have to raise your calories for a while and drop back down.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you asking because the sugar is showing as over for the day? I took sugar off of my tracking for that exact reason...I don't think there should be any limit on raw fruit and vegetable consumption!

I do think you are pretty low on your calories. What about adding some cooked beans or dairy other non-animal protein source?
  • mehinalani
    Options
    Are you asking because the sugar is showing as over for the day? I took sugar off of my tracking for that exact reason...I don't think there should be any limit on raw fruit and vegetable consumption!

I do think you are pretty low on your calories. What about adding some cooked beans or dairy other non-animal protein source?

Yes I am afraid that my sugars are to high, And I am afraid to intake more then 1200 cals a day even when i exercise because i dont want to cancel out my workouts with food. But From reading up on the site I am thinking that i may be wrong. I try not to eat to much processed things.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Yes I am afraid that my sugars are to high, And I am afraid to intake more then 1200 cals a day even when i exercise because i dont want to cancel out my workouts with food. But From reading up on the site I am thinking that i may be wrong. I try not to eat to much processed things.

Your calories are DANGEROUSLY low.

At the risk of overstepping my bounds, you really shouldn't be trying to lose any more weight.
  • mehinalani
    Options

At the risk of overstepping my bounds, you really shouldn't be trying to lose any more weight.

Well The thing is I am in a Career wich requires me to matain certain fitness standards and Weight standards, I am 5'7 and a 150 lbs, with is way to close to my max, plus they do waist mesurments, which in my case my stomach is the thing that does not want to go away.
  • DanWhittaker
    Options
    If you want to kick your metabolism and force a change you need to consume protein with in 30mins of waking. At the minute all you are consuming is fruit and an awful lot of fructose which is not good for you metabolism or fat reduction as the results it has on your endocrine system and in particular your insulin release.

Increase your protein intake in the first 30mins and i guarantee it will make a big difference, aim for at least 20g.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    yikes.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    First of all, meal timing will not have any appreciable effect on metabolism. You can eat all your food before bed and it won't make one bit of difference as far as overall weight gain/loss.

Secondarily, "too much fruit" is largely subjective.

My only big concern for you (OP) is that your caloric intake is bordering dangerous. I would be surprised if you're meeting micronutrient sufficiency with that intake and on top of this, your hormone levels are probably awful (or they will be soon) due to this intake.

I would urge you to rethink your diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I wish more people were afraid of chronically under-feeding rather than being afraid to eat properly.

Based on how much you burn everyday, your TDEE is way up in the 2000's. So you can likely eat somewhere around 2000 cals per day and lose or maintain weight. But it may take a little time to adjust back to normal, depending how long you've been on this sub-1000 calorie per day routine.
  • DanWhittaker
    Options
    Meal timing may not but protein synthesis does have an effect on metabolism and the thermo genic effect of consuming protein with in 30mins of waking will make a difference. As a nutritionist that has read and taken part in many studies on the subject of protein and metabolic effectiveness of food i know this to be fact.
    Too much fruit does come down to an individual’s digestive system and “villi” health you are correct but despite individualism too much fructose in the absence of any fats or proteins will spike an insulin release.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Meal timing may not but protein synthesis does have an effect on metabolism and the thermo genic effect of consuming protein with in 30mins of waking will make a difference. As a nutritionist that has read and taken part in many studies on the subject of protein and metabolic effectiveness of food i know this to be fact.
    Too much fruit does come down to an individual’s digestive system and “villi” health you are correct but despite individualism too much fructose in the absence of any fats or proteins will spike an insulin release.

Insulin is irrelevant if we're comparing non diabetics (and non insulin resistant folks) and isocaloric situations.

TEF is not based at all on timing, it is based on calories consumed and macronutrient type.
  • DanWhittaker
    Options
    Insulin is completely relevant, as it is 100% linked with fat storage and triglycerides, This is a very basic and in most cases the number one reason for the general public being in an over weight position in the first place.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Insulin is completely relevant, as it is 100% linked with fat storage and triglycerides, This is a very basic and in most cases the number one reason for the general public being in an over weight position in the first place.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this since it sounds like you're heading down a very Gary Taubes path, but just in case you aren't, here's something you may wish to see:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

The above is complete with pubmed studies and I would recommend at least checking it out.

EDIT: Lastly, while I love a good debate, I don't want to further hijack OP's thread so I'll let you have the last word sir.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well The thing is I am in a Career wich requires me to matain certain fitness standards and Weight standards, I am 5'7 and a 150 lbs, with is way to close to my max, plus they do waist mesurments, which in my case my stomach is the thing that does not want to go away.

If you are conerned with measurements, then you need to eat more and lift weights. Muscle is more dense than fat and will consume less space. Turning fat into muscle is crucial for a smaller waist size. Under eating will only do one thing, maintain your fat. You dont' negate working out by eating more. The best thing to do is understand what our BMR is, your TDEE and creating a deficit (which for you will be small). Then finding a workout program that develops muscle to cut the inches from your body. Below is a study I recently did and the results. It turns out, the more fit you are, the more you need to be.. what a surprise right? Well guess how you become fit? You have to train and eat like one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282320-caloric-intake-body-fat

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results
  • DanWhittaker
    Options
    Thanks for the link some interesting stuff on there. We will have to agree to disagree, i do know the benfits of insulin and would not question them in this case how ever we are not seeing the benefits. In this case it will be stimulating the release and getting the negative effect, increasing the protein in take in the morning would help curve the release.

Enjoyed the debate!!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7" and I started at 135 and have successful lost the weight I wanted to lose. I had to eat about 1350-1400 calories a day plus every single exercise calorie to lose weight (was averaging about 1600-1700 calories a day).

When you are at an ideal weight you can't have a very big deficit or your body will hang onto what it needs in the form of body fat.

This is just what worked for me. I hope you find what works for you and good luck on your journey.
  • mehinalani
    Options

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this since it sounds like you're heading down a very Gary Taubes path, but just in case you aren't, here's something you may wish to see:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

The above is complete with pubmed studies and I would recommend at least checking it out.

EDIT: Lastly, while I love a good debate, I don't want to further hijack OP's thread so I'll let you have the last word sir.

Thanks Guys For some intresing and contradicting information, However I think you both agree on more caloric intake. I do agree that i need more protien in my Diet. I do a lot of cardio, as I am trianing for my first triatholon in spring after finishing a half marathon in sept, however my strenghth work is lacking in that i do mainly situps, flutter kicks, planks, side planks, push ups, so on. I Am also stuggling with uping the amonunt of push ups i can do so wieght training is definatly going to be added in.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about visiting a nutritionist? They might be able to make you feel more comfortable finding a menu that will fulfill your nutrient needs, and they could help you plan for some meals...when you're avoiding processed foods AND are busy, good planning can help a lot so that you aren't always just looking for some quick energy in fruits. Or, if you don't have one available, check online and you could probably find some good meal planning guides. Also, if you're doing triathlon training I bet there are a lot of people who would be happy to advise you. Try the message boards at Active.com...I know there are a lot of long-distance runners there so you might find some good help. Runners loooooove other runners!

It sounds like you already have a lot of stress around food, so please please please do not worry about timing every bite or measuring things out. I'm sure that poster was trying to be helpful but I don't think that was the right advice for you at this time. You're healthy and active so just focus on what nutrients and calories you need and how to get them regularly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its even more critical to eat a lot of calories if you are training for a triatholon. Food is your bodies fuel source and you need to fuel it properly to function properly. This could sound crazy but it might be a reason you cant increase your pushups.