Dandelion Root Tea.......BENEFITS????????

Options
I heard great things about Dandelion root tea including that it removes body toxins, helps digestion, aids in weight loss, etc. So, I decided to get some. Well, it's definitely not my cup of tea. I just don't like it no matter what I add to it.
However, I don't mind making a small cup and guzzling it down if the benefits are really good. Of course, I can read endless good things about this tea.

I would rather hear all the real benefits from people who have actually drank it often. Anyone? :)

Thanks so much everyone!!!!!

Replies

• RainbowPearl
    RainbowPearl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just bought some Dandelion supplements today. Would love to hear from everyone on this topic too.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Dandelion greens are great too with olive oil and some salt. Great for kidney cleanse and detox.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    No clue, but it is a staple in the Vietnamese diet.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    bump
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It is a natural diuretic so it makes you pee! Therefore, it helps you remove toxins, cleanse your body of water weight from sodium, and cleanses your kidneys.

Try adding honey or some liquid Stevia.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • I heard great things about Dandelion root tea including that it removes body toxins, helps digestion, aids in weight loss, etc. So, I decided to get some. Well, it's definitely not my cup of tea. I just don't like it no matter what I add to it.
    However, I don't mind making a small cup and guzzling it down if the benefits are really good. Of course, I can read endless good things about this tea.

I would rather hear all the real benefits from people who have actually drank it often. Anyone? :)

Thanks so much everyone!!!!!

I do not like it at all either~ I tried to drink it last year. No matter what I added it was gross! I would rather find some other supplement that I would tolerate.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I usually take it in supplement form because I like my tea to be reasonably palatable. It is a gentle cleansing herb - I have never had a cleansing 'crisis' triggered by Dandelion Root. It is considered safe for ongoing use. It supports good function of the gallbladder and kidneys and has anti-inflamatory properties, although if someone has digestive issues such as IBS, it can trigger problems due to stimulation of bile production.

It is a mild diuretic, but unlike prescription meds or OTC water pills, it won't mess up your electrolytes, so it is safe to use if occasional water retention is a problem. (Like during TOM) If water retention is a chronic or severe problem, time to see a doctor, as that can signal heart problems or circulatory issues.

It is an all-around beneficial herb, providing support to many other organs, including the bladder, spleen and pancreas.
  • sweetness727
    Options
    Interesting how I googled in dandelion root tea to get some reviews and I came right to my fitness pal which is what I am apart of (LOL). I know this post is old but hey I have been drinking this tea since tuesday and man the bathroom has been my friend. I did notice that since then I am down a pound so it must be because of the water retention from drinking a lot of fluids. I hope it helps with my weight loss too as I am at a stand still in my weight. Trying to break the 160's but keep fluctuating from 164 to 167. Can I see the 150's please. Any suggestions?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband takes a pill that has dandelion root in it, but that's due to medical issues. I've never heard of it for weight loss. I doubt that it helps weight loss.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It is pretty nasty.. I brew it with other teas, ones with stronger flavor to mask it LOL

Good luck! :)
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I buy a box of Dandelion Root (Roasted) Tea Bags by Alvita and I drink at least 1 cup during a week time frame.. They are caffeine free too..
    Here's the link on Amazon -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020HHO0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00073IVAQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19ZKDAVFEJAEGCFNE06N
    However you can find them at the grocery store too if they carry it.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love it! I don't think it tastes bad at all and I'm definetely a picky eater! I've only found one store in my area that carries it because usually I found it in some "detox" tea with a bunch of other stuff and I wanted just dandelion root. I think it really helps keep my water weight down. I drink dandelion root tea and green tea every day.
  • kalle9
    kalle9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am drinking it right now, iced, with some slices of orange and lemon in it. I don't even think it needed a sweetener which is super odd for me. I did water it down a bit but I'm not disliking the taste at all. I've read of people complaining about it being bitter but I think that is a preparation issue. Water too hot or steeping for too long. No bitterness for me. I've read its a natural diuretic , is detoxifying to your liver and aids in digestion.

I used 2 teabags and steeped them in some very hot water (just under boiling) for 4 minutes in a carafe, then filled it up with water. Made about 37 ounces.

Jillian Michael's has a detox drink recipe with it. I know it includes the tea, lemon, and some no sugar added cranberry juice.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/70026-jillian-michaels-flush
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman has been suggesting it for years in her Fat FLush Plan diet.
  • jtmoffa
    jtmoffa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just recently started drinking it and I LOVE it! I get a big bottle of water (1 qt./ 33 oz) and use 1 Dandelion Tea Bag with a tablespoon of cranberry juice. It definitely helps with the taste! I drink 1- 2 of these bottles a day, and so far i've lost 1.5 lb in just 3 days!! I'm going to continue for 10 days and see where it gets me, I hope the water weight keeps coming off!
  • FlightofReds
    Options
    I drink about 4 cups a day. I used it to help me break the coffee habit. Amazingly - I am down 17 lbs and my coffee habit is no longer a problem. It's got to be helping with both..i'm a big fan.
  • hispraiseinme
    hispraiseinme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love it! Taste good. It's a good substitute for coffee. AND so good for you!
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with extreme weight gain due to water retention. I started taking dandelion root supplements (much better than the tea) 3times a day. I lost 3 pounds of water weight my first day. It's now a part of my daily supplements. Just make sure you are still drinking plenty of water so you don't become dehydrated.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I typically really dislike the taste of tea and opt to drink coffee instead. I was suggested by a friend to try dandelion root tea and let it steep nice and long. She told me it kinda tastes like coffee and it would help with my salt retention and digestion. I tried it and you know what it wasn't all that bad..and it did kinda taste like coffee. I still only drink it on occasion but it's the first tea i can actually drink without gagging.lol I was telling my naturopath about it and she suggested I try marshmallow root tea..she tells me it has similar benefits without the bitter taste of the dandelion root tea. She warned me though..it doesn't taste like marshmallow and isn't sweet.haha So for those who don't like the dandelion root..maybe try the marshmallow root.

As far as dandelion root..I have to tell you my father while having treatments for his pancreatic cancer was also taking ground up/ dried dandelion root. We would pick the roots and dry them, and use a motar and pestol and crush it down to a powder. He would take it everyday. When he had his lab values done at one point not long after he started the root his oncologist asked him what he was doing differently. He said he values were making some really good changes and was shocked. We believe it was the root that was improving his condition. I really do believe with the research that is being done on it right now it is going to show really promising results when it comes to it's healing properties. For my dad, sadly it didn't cure his cancer but we believe it did buy him a little extra time. I've been hearing more and more stories similar to ours online as well.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Your body does just fine getting rid of all the "toxins" by itself.