CHIA SEEDS ANYONE???

Options
After reading some of the benefits of Chia seeds I decided to take them. Does anyone else? If so, how do you like them and why do you take them?

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat them for the omega-3. I usually just sprinkle some into smoothies or baked goods. Love how they gel.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Usually I mix 2 tbsp in about 8-10 ounces of water and stir (a lot...don't want them sticking together). Let it sit a few minutes. Squeeze in a little lemon juice, stir some more and pound it. I don't like the consistency of the seeds, so I have to get them down quick because I do love the nutritional punch they're packin.

I've also mixed them into a smoothie, or sprinkled them into my morning oats :D
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    I use them in the breakfast smoothie I drink 3x/week. Taking them for the omega-3 and fiber. One note ... if you use them in smoothies you can't let the drink sit for very long or the chia seeds gel up and you end up trying to drink pudding!!
  • kandd_anderson
    kandd_anderson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add them to cereal and stuff. I "like them" just fine as they have no taste.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The Mexican tribe Taramuhara drink chia seeds in a mixture of 1-2 T of chia seeds with 8-10 oz water, plus lime and honey to taste. The texture gets slightly gooey, but I find it pleasant.
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    every single day lol I put them in my oatmeal, 1 tbsp, i take them for the omega 3's since I don't take fish oil
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The Mexican tribe Taramuhara drink chia seeds in a mixture of 1-2 T of chia seeds with 8-10 oz water, plus lime and honey to taste. The texture gets slightly gooey, but I find it pleasant.
    oooh maybe I'll try some honey or agave nectar. Nice :)
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bump....=]
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well just had them. . I cooked up some quinoa and just added them to my bowl of quinoa after it was cooked with some parmesan, salt free chipotle spice, and smart balance. . was really good!
  • NicholasCutler
    Options
    LOVE chia. really great with the lime+honey, as mentioned above. or any kind of fruit juice - i sometimes use them as a healthy dessert. grape juice and chia in bowl - tastes great and isn't that bad for you. (obviously, get the good kind - no-sugar-added, 100% juice etc.)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    every single day lol I put them in my oatmeal, 1 tbsp, i take them for the omega 3's since I don't take fish oil
    Same. 1 tbsp in my oats while they are cooking every morning. Love them!
  • Shaylaluvsya
    Options
    Interesting, any other recipes good with them, that you have tried? I honestly like the texture although the look can be a little creepy!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    You can also add them to granola or any baked good - check out a vegan food blog - or mix them into a microwave chocolate cake for one...

1/4 cup each pumpkin puree and egg whites
    1 tsp chia seeds + 1 tbsp water
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    sweetener of choice

Mix the above really well in a microwave safe mug and nuke on high for 90 seconds (or a little more). You can mix in mini chocolate chips or top with nut butter, jam, fruit, whatever you like. Super yummy, good protein, and low GI depending on how you sweeten. Very easy too!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I too just add them to baked goods to gain Omega-3 and fiber in my foods. I have also sprinkled them on my salad, into soup, and on my breakfast cereal. I have yet to try them in a drink or even to allow them to "gel up" as I've heard they will.
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat them, because they are a great source of healthy fibre, something that I am usually in dire need of having. They are also supposed to be a wonderfully energizing food, but I have not really noticed that, to be honest. I put them on top of my cereal and in yogurt. Recently, I found sprouted and ground seed and I like it much better than whole or simply ground chia seed. It actually tastes better, in my opinion, although I don't eat it for the taste! My son, who likes to bake, throws them into banana breads and things like that, where you don't notice them, but they add benefits.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I eat them for the omega 3. I mix them in with porridge in the morning.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat them with my cereal every morning and sometimes with my yogurt in the afternoon. My 6-year-old like them sprinkled on his peanut butter toast or in a little dish and he dips a banana in them and eats them that way. :)
  • sasgal
    Options
    i put them in my yogurt and cereal.... they taste great!!!!!!
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just mix them up with water. :)
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    I used them while training for a marathon instead of buying expensive gels;

pre-workout snack (like 1-2hrs before): cornbread with chia seeds baked in and honey drizzled on top
    pre and mid run energy gel (for over an hr runs take every 45mins): 1tbsp chia seeds with several tbsp water, let it turn into a gel (10mins, stirring occasionally) then mix in a tsp of honey and a squirt of lime/lemon juice. It's yummy!!

They bake into things really well, I put them into my pancakes with dried goji berries (also an incredible superfood) and mashed banana