I'm finally ready.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Chrissy. I'm 20 years old and 205lbs. I've finally hit my highest weight yet, and I'm ready for a change.
I used MFP in the past, but ended up losing over 20lbs in a very unhealthy way. I'm ready to change how I eat and exercise, and I'm really hoping that there are some people here out there to help me and encourage me on my journey to being healthy.
I've sent 10lb increments for myself - hopefully ending with a 40lb weight loss. Next stop - 195!

Does anyone have ideas on how to start? That seems like the hardest part for me. I don't belong to a gym, and I'm in college so making healthy meals for myself is a hassle to do.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• cortezmm
    Options
    hi! i'm also 20 and in college - and i gained almost 20 pounds in one year when i started living on my own. my one recommendation..."remember the end result." so before you pick up something to eat that you know you shouldnt, "remember the end result" and stay motivated. :) - monica
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome! I love it here -- it's a very encouraging & inspiring place to be. As for how to do it, I do Beachbody programs and also events. I find that having a program really, really helps me to get focused and stay on track. If you don't want to do a program, an event like a 5K, a sprint triathlon or a duathlon is a good option, too. If you can find something to raise money for something like cancer research (like TNT), that brings it to a higher level (at least for me). Whatever way you go, you need to have some solid, attainable goals (and not just weight, in my opinion).

Good luck to you!!:smile:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    a couple of things:
    1. Find out if your college has a fitness facility. Alot do. Even if you are at a community college, they may have a deal with a local YMCA or gym. Having that resource can be very helpful.
    2. Set daily goals for yourself. Today, maybe focus on your water intake. Then tomorrow, add keeping your calories within your goal. build up to adding exercise and you are off.
    3. If you make a mistake, and we all do, pick yourself up, and get back on that wagon.

Speaking as someone 20 years older than you, you will be so much happier and healthier if you tackle this problem now and not wait. Good luck to you!!:flowerforyou:
  • jackvf1
    jackvf1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are here and looking for information, so congrats on on making the first step. I've been on MFP since the beginning of September and I weighed 235 pounds when I started! I'm now down to 212 and counting.

I was starting to have problems related to high blood pressure, so I finally said 'enough'. Had a physical, started going to the gym, and changed my diet.

While these changes seemed sudden, dramatic, it really started with a shift in my thinking. This stuff gets harder as we get older, and at 45, I'm just around the corner for all the things old folks have to deal with healthwise. I figured, better to turn this ship around now while I can rather than wait till it's too late.

Anyhow, I am pretty good at getting self motivated once I have a direction. I like reading books on diet/exercise, and one that really helped me get started (as for the diet part) is Dr. Mike Moreno's 17 Diet Day Diet. It's safe, easy to follow, and changes are gradual. The first 17 days you may find challenging, as you strip out a lot of the foods that make us fat or increase blood sugar and make us hungry (breads, alcohol, caffeine, etc). But I swear, if you stick with it, it'll make a difference and you WILL get results. By the end of the diet, (which really doesn't 'end") you will have adopted the dietary changes you can keep for life.
    Check it out--the book is available through his webstie, or through amazon (both in print and Kindle verrsion).

http://www.the17daydiet.com/

You're not so old yet that you get set in your ways and certainly young enough that you can make a healthy change--even with your college schedule. There's ways to cook that can be simple and use few ingredients. Most of the recipes in the 17 Day Diet book are pretty easy to make.

Good Luck!
    Jack Van Fossen
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am a college student too. The university I go to has a gym. I go there every once in a while, but I belong to a paid gym as well. You should be able to get into your gym free. Have you tried?

As for food, I have a ton of “Healthy Choice” and “Smart Choice” microwave meals just for those times where I have to eat something quick. I know that they aren’t the BEST tasting, but they are perfectly portioned for a meal. They around like 150-370 calories depending on the ones you get. GET A CROCK POT! You can throw broth and veggies in there and leave it for a few hours and it almost always tastes yummy. Quick and easy, and soup fills you up better because of all the water 

Just my quick suggestions! Feel free to add me as a friend! I’m near your weight, 192# started at 201# 2 ½ weeks ago. Slowly but surely!
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We have the same amount to lose. :) Just getting out the door is the hardest part.
  • xoxMandyxox
    xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you can get a day to yourself, spend it making healthy meals for the week. Sure you might lose a day of a social life, but you can always have a friend over to help ^_^ Make things that are portable (for running in between classes), healthy, and easy to make. If you need help finding any recipes, just let me know :smile:
  • AliciaRenee1979
    AliciaRenee1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I maxed out at 223 and I started walking, eating smaller portions and I dont drink soda. I am now 178.5, I still eat what I want but I just eat smaller portions.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome! College is full of fitness fanatics! I use the gym at the college I graduated from and I love it. It has great equipment, a huge pool, they are always open, and it's free for students. You can also take p.e. classes or dance classes for your work out and get credits for them! :)
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome, best advise is to log everything you eat, ditch all the high fat/sugar junk type food and go for fresh fruit and veg, chicken and fish and lean meat,look at the packets of food before you buy them, i was shocked at how many cal where in a bread roll.
    if cooking during the week is a pain, then on a weekend cook a few diffrent things up and freeze some for the week ahead,

and dont forget a jacket potato can go ping while you have a shower.

add me as a friend if you like i stated off at 219lb down to 207 now